My sisters eat like their rich, I dont want to

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sisters they have money to burn on overpriced rich foods for their meals. They buy organic, from high end markets and luxury bakeries. Sure its good, but I have different taste and to me most stuff from the local grocery store will do. For instance they pay $60-75 for a small 6" cake from some luxury high end bakery, cause a simply $10 cake from the local Grocery store wont do.

To me, I see it as a waste. I can buy pack of 12 cookies from the bakery for $4 and be happy, and they go buy a 12 pack from a high end bakery for 3 times the price at $1.xx per cookie.

Every time they invite me over for birthdays and stuff, everyone brings something but since the sisters all cover all the food they always just tell me to give them money to cover my portion. Usually $20, thats fine. Im a big eater but still, its still proportioned and its not like I can eat til Im entirely full cause theres only so much food. So last night had to pay my sis $45! I wasnt very impressed, I didnt say anything, but I just thought thats ridiculous. I paid it but I knew it was a huge waste of money. $45 could feed me for 2 whole days, 4 different meals!

And the worst part wasnt paying $45, but I wasnt even full and I had a really bad stomach ache later from the cake and spent and hour on the toilet.

All I had was a steak (but apparently was this super high end cut from this overpriced butcher *sigh*), couple potatoes, some corn and this overpriced to [censored] piece of chocolate cake uhhh.

The food is good but im just not a fan of wasting money on overpriced food just cause they came from some high end bakery or meat market. Just not my taste. I like good foods, but to me theres a limit and I think last night we past it.

So now im second guessing if I want to go there anymore for the occasional dinner. I will go but not eat just cause Id rather save the money. But I know they would take offense ate before I went there. The main reason I would still go is for the kids and to see my neices and nephews.

Last edited:
Instead of telling us about it on the internet, how about you tell your sisters this so they know where you are coming from? I don't like to buy expensive meals either, but I just tell whomever it is that I can't afford their food and either don't show or let them know not to expect me to pay for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Instead of telling us about it on the internet, how about you tell your sisters this so they know where you are coming from? I don't like to buy expensive meals either, but I just tell whomever it is that I can't afford their food and either don't show or let them know not to expect me to pay for it.

They would take offense to it and would cause conflict in the family. So I want to avoid that.

Last edited:
How much is all of this really costing them? $45 is a lot of money for one person to eat one meal, especially one cooked at home.

Honestly it seems odd to me to invite a family member to your house for dinner and expect them to pay. In my family bringing food is optional, and I doubt payment would even be accepted.

If they can't understand that you don't want to pay $45 for a single meal, and it will be an issue if you don't, THEY have issues. Nobody should hold something like that against a family member, that's ridiculous.

Keep it simple, bring your own food and tell your sisters your on a diet.

Other folks are obviously enjoying eating more expensive items, and thats ok. there's no need to offend anyone, just be honest, and if you do choose to eat with the family only ask to be served one portion so your not being charged so much.

On the flip side $45 for fancy food that you dont have to prepair and your getting quality time with your family ?

$20.00 is a steal...

It's their money and they can spend it however they please. If you don't like the food, simply don't eat it. If you're worried that not eating the food will cause conflict, then you need to grow a set and stand up for yourself.

If you need something to be concerned about you should find something that is actually worth getting your britches knotted up over.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

+1

Overpriced generally means "costs more than I want to pay."

You can eat cheap steak, drive cheap cars, wear cheap shoes and drink cheap wine. Some don't see the difference. Some can't afford the difference. Some see the difference but can't justify the cost. And some appreciate fine things.

What's weird is they apparently want others to pay for their expensive taste. I've never heard of adults requesting guests to pay for their food.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
They would take offense to it and would cause conflict in the family. So I want to avoid that.

They would take offense to the fact that your disposable income may not be as high as theirs? Some sisters you've got.

On the other hand, chipping in $45 for an occasional dinner doesn't sound like all that much, and certainly not enough to ruin relationships IF that is the only thing that's bothering you. But again, it all depends on one's point of reference, I suppose.

Can't you offer to bring a dish instead of chip in? This way you'd be more in control of how much you spend and may be able to get decent food that'll pass their snuff at a fraction of the cost if you know where to shop, which it sounds like you do.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
What's weird is they apparently want others to pay for their expensive taste. I've never heard of adults requesting guests to pay for their food.

In my neck of the woods when family come over for a gathering its talked about beforehand. You ask what you can bring, if the host says bring nothing then you simply come and enjoy.. Or bring something the Host requests.. theres no cash involved.

If its a gathering between friends, same thing, you either bring something or offer to "kick in" although ive noticed this is more of a younger crowds thing "kicking in $$", when i have a cookout i normally ask friends to bring a side dish.. I supply meat, drinks, some sides, condiments, disposables, ect.. I dont ask for any cash.. i invited you over to enjoy your company, im not going to ask for your money.. i just hope i get a invitation to your gathering sometime.

also it's not propper to go back for seconds untill everyone has eaten once..

As the host i make sure im the last to eat, my guest will always get in line before me, in my world its simply good manners.

Go see your family and enjoy your sisters and nephews. They are all you will have in certain times and not worth giving up on beliefs about food pricing.

Everybody has their own way of doing things and spending their money.

Very weird though bring money to eat?????? Never heard of that one.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
How much is all of this really costing them? $45 is a lot of money for one person to eat one meal, especially one cooked at home.

I dont think as much as they say. The deserts sure, but steaks, potatoes, corn and spinach salad with veggies doesnt cost a ton. What makes the cost stupid is the fact, all the veggies and spinach salad is from some organic market. my sister said she spent $150 on the steaks alone, which was enough for 7 adults and 4 kids.

And like I said, I wasnt even full when I finished cause there wasnt a ton where I could just eat like I want.

Quote:
Honestly it seems odd to me to invite a family member to your house for dinner and expect them to pay. In my family bringing food is optional, and I doubt payment would even be accepted.

Well everyone brings something and because they always cover the food im just told to pay. But $45 is ridiculous for one person if you ask me. If I brought a friend alone, sure. My sisters make me pay cause theyre jealous I get spoiled by my parents.

Quote:
If they can't understand that you don't want to pay $45 for a single meal, and it will be an issue if you don't, THEY have issues. Nobody should hold something like that against a family member, that's ridiculous.

Well I just want to keep this quiet as possible without making a scene and causing all this drama. The next dinner wont be for awhile, maybe a few months so I have time to think on how im going to handle that one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Keep it simple, bring your own food and tell your sisters your on a diet.

Other folks are obviously enjoying eating more expensive items, and thats ok. there's no need to offend anyone, just be honest, and if you do choose to eat with the family only ask to be served one portion so your not being charged so much.

On the flip side $45 for fancy food that you dont have to prepair and your getting quality time with your family ?

$20.00 is a steal...

I think next time Ill either make up an excuse and not go (though itd be painful not to see my niece and nephews and cause thats main reason I go). Its more discreet this way without them knowing.

Lets just put it this way, if I invited my sisters out for lunch or dinner, I wouldnt make them pay. When I invite someone, it means im supplying the food, its on me. This goes for friends too. Personally I would be embarassed to charge family members.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

They would take offense to the fact that your disposable income may not be as high as theirs? Some sisters you've got.

On the other hand, chipping in $45 for an occasional dinner doesn't sound like all that much, and certainly not enough to ruin relationships IF that is the only thing that's bothering you. But again, it all depends on one's point of reference, I suppose.

To me $45 is a lot! I can go to a fine dining steak house for that money! I probably ate $20 worth of food tops, if that cause I drank water.

Quote:
Can't you offer to bring a dish instead of chip in? This way you'd be more in control of how much you spend and may be able to get decent food that'll pass their snuff at a fraction of the cost if you know where to shop, which it sounds like you do.

Trust me, ive tried. Not just yesterday but like the past 5 or 6 dinners over the past couple years.

Last edited:
For $45 your family can eat very good (dinner rolls, rice, potato salad, cole slaw , baked beans and a couple boxes of fried chicken) from the Walmart deli.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
For $45 your family can eat very good (dinner rolls, rice, potato salad, cole slaw , baked beans and a couple boxes of fried chicken) from the Walmart deli.

Exactly thats my point. Not saying Walmart is my ideal place to eat but I dont need to go all out with the wallet for my meals.

And after reading that, I sure wish I had all that with me right now for the $45 at walmart.

What a waste of money.

Last edited:
Depending upon the food and what the items are, organic or nicer stuff may be warranted. Some folks dont want to eat wal-mart garbage.

That said, there is a ton of overpriced garbage from many stores too, targeted to folks with more dollars than sense.

It is odd to me that if you are invited to an event, that youre asked for money. You might ask to bring something and they say yes, but that's it.

Id say there are more fundamental issues here. You may want to skip the meals and come late if you take such offense at their choices. Cleaner that way IMO.

Geeeeeez. Most people wish they had your kind of problem. Getting bent about what your sisters like to eat? C'mon.....

So someone came with you? Then its not 45 bucks just for you it was for two people. Steaks for 150 bucks to feed 11 people?? You think thats expensive....no its really not......It's only about 14 bucks a steak. Unless it was just some slab of meat then you got a problem. I'm not an organic nut but there are some things that are organic that to me just plain look and taste better. I also dont care for the el cheapo cakes i see at the local grocery. I do like to splurge on deserts here and there. Which at the most is once every few months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back