Weight loss update - I won!

So I joined a gym this year, not as a NYR but just trying to get in better shape. And then of course I’ve been on the road 7 weeks straight for work. 🙄

Anyways, there was a fat-loss challenge from January 2nd to March 2, 8 weeks. I had just finished Steven Gundry’s Unlocking the Keto Code which is actually anti-Keto in the way most people know keto. Got back on the scale today and since 1/2/24 I’ve lost 35.8 lbs, and 22.2 lbs of that was pure fat.

I’ve given up pop, bread, and potatoes, and since 1/9 have not even been able to make it to the gym because of work schedule. My biggest change? I’ve gone from eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks to intermittent fasting for ~22 hours per day. I eat whatever I want during 5-7pm and haven’t even counted calories; I’ll have steak or chicken along with veggies. I haven’t even given up a beer or two at dinner, and yet the pounds are still coming off at around 4-5 lbs per week!

Just wanted to share, as until I started using Gundry’s method and guidance of “do not eat” certain foods, my best dieting efforts had lost maybe 5-7lbs max. It can be done, and this time it won me $200 and 35lbs off the scale without giving up anything I enjoy!

Big congrats to you! If you haven't tried an 86hr fast I highly recommend it. I do a 24-48hr fast every week or 2 and an 86 every quarter. That, along with a decent diet of low, not NO carbs and joint pain and swelling is as if I was in my 30's again (I'm 51). I say this as a foodie for sure! I like my IPA's and wine but it helps keep me honest. Without the gym I'd be one FAT ... you fill in the naughty word so I don't get in trouble.

About 18 months ago after some serious health issues unrelated to diet or weight I started with daily 18 hour daily fasting and even today I still stay in the 14 to 18 hr range because i feel better and actually prefer it as my normal. ( 7 days a week)

I was talking to Dr Berg last year and he asked what other benefits I received. Threw him for a loop.
I told him when I take out the trash once a week I now have less than half of what I had before. That was thrilling for me..

Congratulations 🎊

Last edited:
Good stuff my guy.

Pop was huge for me years ago, even diet pop. I like a lot of seltzers now (carbonation). That has helped me keep 40lbs alone off!

Good stuff my guy.

Pop was huge for me years ago, even diet pop. I like a lot of seltzers now (carbonation). That has helped me keep 40lbs alone off!
I found Waterloo Ginger water; I’m not big on the artificially flavored or sweetened ones. Most of them give me headaches; the Waterloo not only tastes good to me but is also carbonated, and since I can drink as many as I wish I’ve found I don’t even miss pop! Which back before Christmas, I felt I couldn’t go without!

2hrs eating window. that's tough
Not once you get used to it… I don’t even find myself hungry at lunchtime. Dr. Gundry’s recommendation is to start yourself on a weekly restriction- first week nothing before 8am, next week 9am, next week 10am, and so on. Believe me, after your body finds its rhythm you won’t even feel the need to cheat with a snack or two in between! Stepping on the scale daily and seeing it change in the right direction is fuel in itself!

I found Waterloo Ginger water; I’m not big on the artificially flavored or sweetened ones. Most of them give me headaches; the Waterloo not only tastes good to me but is also carbonated, and since I can drink as many as I wish I’ve found I don’t even miss pop! Which back before Christmas, I felt I couldn’t go without!
I drink a similar item. Wegmans has ginger seltzer. No sweeteners or anything either and it’s just as good as ginger ale to me. Plus like you said, can drink as much! Good stuff.

Congrats!! health is wealth! its the body fat loss + what happens internally-cleaning a fatty liver that comes from better eating,especially cutting Frutose which is 50% of table sugar the liver killer!! once you get acclimated the cravings go away!!

That's great work. Would you be able to do aerobic exercise like running or bike riding in the afternoon when you haven't eaten for 20 hours?
I haven’t noticed any energy drop or afternoon laziness from cutting out 2 meals a day. The weekends are a little more relaxed, I may or may not eat lunch just to keep my body from thinking OMAD is the new normal.

Losing weight isn't the problem. Keeping weight off is the problem.

It seems that every time you diet your body learns "how to conserve weight during a time of famine". That was probably a good thing in ancient times but not so helpful today in this time of constant plenty. The evidence is that people who lose weight through some kind of diet typically put all of the weight back on within a few years, plus a bit more.

In my opinion what is needed is a plan that you can continue for the rest of your life. Is it possible to spend the rest of your life fasting for 22 hours a day? Someone might be able to. I could do it for a while, but I know I couldn't keep it up so I'm not even going to try it.

What is the ideal plan? It's something like "if you don't like how much you weigh, you need to change how you live." So it would be some combination of increased activity in your daily life and a permanent dietary change.

Meanwhile I'm 20# heavier than I'd like.

Last edited:
Not once you get used to it… I don’t even find myself hungry at lunchtime. Dr. Gundry’s recommendation is to start yourself on a weekly restriction- first week nothing before 8am, next week 9am, next week 10am, and so on. Believe me, after your body finds its rhythm you won’t even feel the need to cheat with a snack or two in between! Stepping on the scale daily and seeing it change in the right direction is fuel in itself!
Oh for sure, humans can get used to anything. I’ve tried fasting before (not for weight loss purposes) and it didn’t quite work for me. But I’m genuinely happy it’s working for you, great job keeping them pounds off!!!

So I joined a gym this year, not as a NYR but just trying to get in better shape. And then of course I’ve been on the road 7 weeks straight for work. 🙄

Anyways, there was a fat-loss challenge from January 2nd to March 2, 8 weeks. I had just finished Steven Gundry’s Unlocking the Keto Code which is actually anti-Keto in the way most people know keto. Got back on the scale today and since 1/2/24 I’ve lost 35.8 lbs, and 22.2 lbs of that was pure fat.

I’ve given up pop, bread, and potatoes, and since 1/9 have not even been able to make it to the gym because of work schedule. My biggest change? I’ve gone from eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks to intermittent fasting for ~22 hours per day. I eat whatever I want during 5-7pm and haven’t even counted calories; I’ll have steak or chicken along with veggies. I haven’t even given up a beer or two at dinner, and yet the pounds are still coming off at around 4-5 lbs per week!

Just wanted to share, as until I started using Gundry’s method and guidance of “do not eat” certain foods, my best dieting efforts had lost maybe 5-7lbs max. It can be done, and this time it won me $200 and 35lbs off the scale without giving up anything I enjoy!
22.5 pounds of body fat equals 78,750 kcal. Four months after your weight loss has slowed and stabilized have a lipid panel done. Should be interesting if you compare the results to previous ones. But do wait because while you are losing weight, your lab numbers will be grossly off.

Curious how many calories you eat in your 2 hours out of food jail?
I don’t really split hairs counting, but a typical meal over at least the past month has been 12-16 ounces of steak, about 15 pieces of broccoli and zucchini or asparagus, plus a tall draft or 3. I’d estimate based off the menu stuff, including beer, I’ve been around 1800-2200 or so, and on weekends probably a hair more since I will eat a light lunch and earlier dinner. I’ve had nights at Buffalo Wild Wings that was certainly that much.
IMG_3221.jpeg

Back