Weight loss update - I won!

Autophagy occurs once the metabolism has been in a catabolic state for a considerable time. When we eat we activate mTor, an anabolic process which allows us to easily put on weight because excess calories are deposited as body fat. It also allows us to gain muscle mass with exercise because in the anabolic state cell growth is accelerated. A few hours after eating AMPK is activated which is a catabolic process that is in full swing after 16 hours or more of fasting. While in a catabolic state the body derives most if it's required energy from burning body fat. After one to three days of being in a catabolic state autophagy peaks. An occasional two or three-day fast has been proven to be beneficial. Anabolic and catabolic states must be balanced for optimal metabolism. By otipmal I mean in terms of health. There are obviously goals other than optimal health.

You can tell by looking at a person if they spend more time in a catabolic or anabolic state. For example, compare a marathon runner to a powerlifter.

Thanks for the reply. Good info. I'm a little late to get back on this. I'm well versed in it. I spent a lot of time with a good friend who is our police surgeon on this. He has a cosmetic and wellness side hustle and he has access to studies most do not. I have no issue spewing my thoughts but medical advice I didn't want to get into the weeds as some people could have conditions, known or unknown, that could cause them harm.

It's been great for me. I experience bone on bone in my left knee posterior and knee cap area; I have needed a knee replacement for a few years. Low carb, gym, intermittent fasting, heck of a lot less IPA's, and my constant knee pain is rather diminished. I hiked my first 4k mountain in VT last year with excellent results. I hadn't been able to do that the last few years. The real test is coming this spring/summer/fall as I try my last 3 hikes needed to complete the 4k's in NH. I have the longer ones left to do.

Hope it helps others.

Eat to protect your liver and eat to feed your lower gut.

Cut out the simple carbs and sugars, especially the fructose as mentioned.

Eat whole foods, and eat foods that you KNOW have not been processed or at least processed in a healthy way.

I was doing good, cheated a little and plateaued - and got a migraine from some bread the wife bought. I can't blame her*, I ate it. :)

Back to it NOW.

*yeah she should have tased my arse
Yeah, dropping potatoes, pop, pasta, etc hasn’t been too hard. I’d guess if you really wanted to pigeonhole my diet right now, it’s a cross between paleo and Whole30, with the exception of some adult beverages.

Like I said, being on the road for work makes it easy to pick a place with steak & veggies, knowing that there’s not a lot of processing or junk additives in what I’m ordering. Knowing what foods are “bad” even if they taste good, and seeing the pounds come off daily is a good motivation.

Hoping at some point the weight loss helps my sciatica and back pain. Can’t make it any worse, I guess. 😃

Thanks for the reply. Good info. I'm a little late to get back on this. I'm well versed in it. I spent a lot of time with a good friend who is our police surgeon on this. He has a cosmetic and wellness side hustle and he has access to studies most do not. I have no issue spewing my thoughts but medical advice I didn't want to get into the weeds as some people could have conditions, known or unknown, that could cause them harm.
There's a line between giving info on nutrition and metabolism processes and giving medical advice. The line is a bit fluid. For example, while I can say most healthy people who want to lose weight should cut down on carbs, eat only two meals per day, and not eat for a 14-hour time period every day, I cannot give that advice to diabetics who may suffer severe effects and even death from low blood sugar. That's why I often say that anybody with a metabolic disease needs to see an endocrinologist and a nutritionist/diabetes educator. Everyone is different and it gets complicated.

Anybody with health problems must inform themselves and seek professional counsel from suitable outfits and should never follow any advice blindly. While there is good information to be found on popular outlets like YT it is mostly recycled, condensed information that has been made more digestible and also sensationalized to attract viewers. Research papers can be tough to find, tougher to read and they are not exciting.

It's been great for me. I experience bone on bone in my left knee posterior and knee cap area; I have needed a knee replacement for a few years. Low carb, gym, intermittent fasting, heck of a lot less IPA's, and my constant knee pain is rather diminished. I hiked my first 4k mountain in VT last year with excellent results. I hadn't been able to do that the last few years. The real test is coming this spring/summer/fall as I try my last 3 hikes needed to complete the 4k's in NH. I have the longer ones left to do.

Hope it helps others.

I know several people who have had knee replacements. Not one has regretted it and they all are physically active. One of them walks at least 5 miles and rides his bicycle all the time. I can't imagine how bad knee pain is if you have bone-on-bone friction. For those who still have cartilage in a damaged joint, I would advise looking into stem cell therapy as it has proven to be extremely effective with recovery times drastically cut down. I wish you good luck with your knee.

There's a line between giving info on nutrition and metabolism processes and giving medical advice. The line is a bit fluid. For example, while I can say most healthy people who want to lose weight should cut down on carbs, eat only two meals per day, and not eat for a 14-hour time period every day, I cannot give that advice to diabetics who may suffer severe effects and even death from low blood sugar. That's why I often say that anybody with a metabolic disease needs to see an endocrinologist and a nutritionist/diabetes educator. Everyone is different and it gets complicated.

Anybody with health problems must inform themselves and seek professional counsel from suitable outfits and should never follow any advice blindly. While there is good information to be found on popular outlets like YT it is mostly recycled, condensed information that has been made more digestible and also sensationalized to attract viewers. Research papers can be tough to find, tougher to read and they are not exciting.

I know several people who have had knee replacements. Not one has regretted it and they all are physically active. One of them walks at least 5 miles and rides his bicycle all the time. I can't imagine how bad knee pain is if you have bone-on-bone friction. For those who still have cartilage in a damaged joint, I would advise looking into stem cell therapy as it has proven to be extremely effective with recovery times drastically cut down. I wish you good luck with your knee.
It’s all good until you call someone “fatty”

Eat to protect your liver and eat to feed your lower gut.

Cut out the simple carbs and sugars, especially the fructose as mentioned.

Eat whole foods, and eat foods that you KNOW have not been processed or at least processed in a healthy way.

I was doing good, cheated a little and plateaued - and got a migraine from some bread the wife bought. I can't blame her*, I ate it. :)

Back to it NOW.

LOL...wife and I have been white carb free (a burger and fries every second friday is about it) for about 7 months.

We wentto a beautful tea room Saturday, and had devonshire tea for afternoon tea...an hour later, were falling asleep at the wheel.

She's lost 35lb, and normalised blood pressure, I'm down two cup sizes, and belt notches.

I don't get 2PM crashes at work, and we scarcely have lunch on weekends...

And my sense of smell (that I lost 10 years ago with Bell's Palsy) is making a re-appearance. Oh, and Bristol 4 every day.

Congrats Subie!

I've done keto twice in the last 3 years. Keto my way is expensive though. Each time I lost about 20lbs

I stop because I get tired of keto food. I've gotta be the only overweight person on the planet tired of bacon and cheese.....

And I even make my own bacon.......

I hear you on traveling for work. That's one of the reasons I'm fat. An Amex that work paid the tab on with no spending limits was pure dee heck when I was in BBQ country.

We tried the keto diet a few years ago, but it didn't work out for us. Instead, we are currently following a low-carb diet and intermittent fasting. We usually have only one or two meals a day between 1 pm and 6 pm, although we often stretch it to 3 pm and only eat one meal. We haven't weighed ourselves, so we don't know how many pounds we have lost, but we have noticed a good reduction in our waistlines. We are also drinking much less alcohol, typically 1 or 2 drinks per week, and only on our cheat day when we might have a few chips or a sub for dinner.

I'm thrilled to hear about your weight loss journey and hope you continue to get healthier. Your progress is incredibly motivating, and I wish you all the best as you continue on your path towards a healthier lifestyle.

Congrats Subie!

I've done keto twice in the last 3 years. Keto my way is expensive though. Each time I lost about 20lbs

I stop because I get tired of keto food. I've gotta be the only overweight person on the planet tired of bacon and cheese.....

And I even make my own bacon.......

I hear you on traveling for work. That's one of the reasons I'm fat. An Amex that work paid the tab on with no spending limits was pure dee heck when I was in BBQ country.
What I did isn’t “real” keto because I’m not restricting carbs per se, I’m restricting overall calories. There are certain foods and supplements that stimulate the mitochondria and mitogenesis, and Dr Gundry says that’s where the magic happens- “mitochondrial uncoupling”.

It’s why some people can eat like bottomless pits and not gain weight even with minimal exercise- their mitochondria are revved up and also creating new mitochondria. The book really is a great and easy read, and gives plenty of things to discuss with your PCP. Since my bloodwork was all great before I started (overall cholesterol @ 113, triglycerides <130), and my PCP saying “your bloodwork says you’re in great health… the scale, not so much.” So, I kinda made my own call. It seems to have worked out so far.

I’m definitely not saying I’ve figured everything out, since 2 months is a fairly short time to measure success, and I’ve got about another 70-80 lbs to go, but my plan is to keep losing weight while maintaining an eating plan that I don’t have the urge to cheat on, and see where it takes me. I give Gundry the credit- like I said other than some stationary bike and resistance machines the first 8 days of the challenge, the majority of the 35lbs & 22.2lbs of fat was purely eating the right things in the right time window.

I’m sincerely flattered by all the well wishes and appreciate them! 👏

Last edited:
Back