Help me list the benefits of a helper for my aging in place parents...

Don't make TOO much of the falls. I maybe should have qualified that remark. My mom tripped in the garden last year and my dad a couple years ago. Nothing major, no injuries. BUT it is a REAL upcoming concern.
It's not just about the injuries that can occur with falls. A fall within the past year is one predictor that someone is coming to the end, and is taken quite seriously. A fall can represents a lot of things - plain bad luck (we've all fallen at some point in our life) or .... declining balance, declining eyesight, declining strength, declining "executive function", etc. It has become a key question typically asked in the medical history of older people.

The best argument I can think of for older people to get help is "You want to stay in your own home don't you? Well getting help will help you keep living in your own home a lot longer."

My wife and I are both getting on (early to mid 70s) and we plan to stay in our own home until the very end. We've always done almost everything around the house and yard. So we're starting small. We have a large yard and now have a gardener come in for a half day every other week. Our yard looks better and it takes the pressure off of us. We'll add more help as we need more help. It's important to develop trust relationships with providers of various kinds while you're still in full command. I manage my own investments but I've told our financial advisor he is to blow the whistle on me if he thinks I'm slipping.

I just got out of a nursing home a couple weeks ago. (long story)

I'm in Iowa. Nursing home hooked me up with Angel's Home Health Care. Costs me nothing, all paid by Medicare.
They do most of what you asked with few exceptions. In fact, they are getting to be a PIA wanting to send a nurse almost every day.
This week I have care Mon, Thurs and Fri. More to come next week.

They go above and beyond. I can't climb in the tub to shower. Lady today said they will help me. Daughter ordered on of those chairs today, that you climb into tub from the outside from Amazon. That should help a bunch. Tired of sponge baths!

Don't think they will do the grocery shopping, but I never asked. I pay another lady to do that, my laundry, get mail, etc.
She got my tub all cleaned out today for the chair arrival next week.

Getting old and a failing body is no fun. Best of luck in your situation! I got over being to stubborn while bed ridden.
Had to let the nurses do their job! It even came to the point that I needed a catheter. That sucked.

They had 2 young lady's come to do it. (looked like college age) I did not trust them. My Daughter (RN w/BSN) degree was there at my bed. She told them to take a break, so they did, probably against hospital rules. Soon as they left the room, she had it done in maybe 10 seconds. Makes a man uncomfortable with the Daughter playing with his junk...;). But she has years of practice in that stuff, so I would rather trust her than college girls.
You can opt for a condom catheter. That's the DIY option. Needs to be changed every 24 hours. The Infection risk is lower than it is with an indwelling catheter.

I took care of my parents full time for 16 years until they died. I did not want to put them in a rest home. The only problem is trying to explain to an employer why I wasn't employed for 16 years. That doesn't look good on a resume'.

I'm so glad I didn't say that because I'd get my second urgent call from board management today. But congratulations or condolences anyway.
Must have a little fun joking in my old age, even at my expense! That way I don't feel bad about dishing it out either. ;)

My Dad’s doctor would only release him from the hospital to a nursing home. He said no until mom said I’ll move in with you …
He died that 1st day - but had lived to 90 …
She stayed there a few years …

Back