My first Rock Auto order problem. -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I order from Rock Auto a lot, and up until now I’ve never had an issue. I just checked my account, and I’ve ordered a total of 16 times, 9 of them placed so far this year.

Today I received an order of some strut mounts for the Sonata and an outer tie rod end for the Beetle. The mounts were fine, but when I opened the tie rod I found it is clearly a part that has been handled and installed on a vehicle.

The part is covered in copper anti seize, and you can clearly tell it was installed on a vehicle.

I called Rock Auto at 3 p.m. and alerted them to the problem. I was prepared to email them pics if they wanted them. The rep I talked to said he’d either give me a refund or ship me a new part for free. I requested the new part, as this isn’t a job I planned on doing in the next few days. I told them if they sent me a shipping label I’d return the used one, but he said they didn’t even want the old part back.

Less than two hours later I received an email showing my replacement part had shipped and it’s scheduled to arrive on Monday.

I’m bummed I had my first RA order problem, but so far they’ve done a first-rate job of correcting it.
cheers3.gif

RA1_zpsf7039dd3.jpg

RA2_zps35888492.jpg

RA3_zps53848884.jpg

RA4_zps4657fcd1.jpg

RA5_zps17f1e05f.jpg

RA7_zpsa27e01e7.jpg

RA8_zps95e65678.jpg

Sorry to hear that but it sounds like there customer service department was more than willing to help. I really enjoy ordering from Rock Auto as they have a great selection and prices too! Now if only they would start carrying oil and fluids.

I just had a similar situation with some lift supports.
They saw it as a catalogue error, said keep them, and gave me my money back.

Problems are rare, but when they do, they do a top job.

Doesn't look used...just a little dirty. Just think...now you can do the other side like you should have for free.

Listed the wrong fuel filter in catalog. It fit earlier Saturn's. They sent me the wrong part. They told me to keep it. I have found they take care of their customers.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Doesn't look used...just a little dirty. Just think...now you can do the other side like you should have for free.

First, it doesn't need both sides, so it's not fair to say I "should have" replaced both. You aren't aware of the situation or why I'm replacing it.

Second, this vehicle uses different tie rods on the left and right side.

Back on the original topic-

I guess I should have noted that it appears this part was installed and then removed for whatever reason. It very well many be fine to use.

I could just have used it, but I paid for a new part and I'd like a new part. I assumed they would want this returned and would provide me a return label, but they surprised me and didn't want it back.

I suppose if I was a scam artist I could have demanded a refund and just kept the part and used it, but that's not really my style.

I mostly posted this to show and example of some good customer service from Rock Auto.
thumbsup2.gif

You paid for a new part, and from what I see, you got one. But it was handled/installed, fwiw... I'd probably have gone after a 20-50% discount and called it a day, rather than being stuck with an unneeded part. But it is good to see that they were accommodating.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You paid for a new part, and from what I see, you got one. But it was handled/installed,

I don't know, I guess we must have different definitions of the word "new." A part that was installed, used for an undetermined amount of time and removed for an unknown reason does not fit my definition of "new."

Maybe the part is fine to use. But perhaps it was returned because it didn't function properly or has some type of issue I won't notice until I try to install it.

It may very well be fine to use, but I guess I would just like an actually new part. That was one of the options they gave me and that's the option I chose.

Again, I've never had an issue with a Rock Auto order before, so I didn't know what to expect. My previous experiences with other companies led me to believe they would want the old part back. I had already agreed to a new part when they told me they didn't want the old one back. They didn't say "we'll give you a refund and you can keep the old part, or we'll send you a new part." They asked if I wanted a full refund or a new part, and I said I wanted a new part. They said OK and told me to keep the old one.

If you're ever in this situation, I would encourage you to choose whatever option you want.

can you determine who the manufacturer of the tie rod end is?

I didn't realize there were still tie rod ends manufactured in Germany!

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from Rock over the years and I've had only two problems.
I got some oil filters for the BMW a few years ago, and one of them was missing one of the two gaskets.
I figured this was no big deal and that I could just reuse one of the gaskets from a filter I was replacing, which I did.
The other incolved a new power window regulator for the '97 Accord which simply didn't work.
I emailed them and they emailed back a Fedex return shipping label for the bad part while shipping me another, which worked just fine.
Pretty good customer service, which they also gave you.
Even better customer service would have been to not try to unload a previously installed part on you, although given the nature of the part, it was probably fine to use.

Rock Auto's shipping pricing is ridiculous. Keeps me from ordering from them. Tried to get my brake pads from them, guess what, they were in different warehouses and the shipping doubled to $17-LOL

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Rock Auto's shipping pricing is ridiculous. Keeps me from ordering from them. Tried to get my brake pads from them, guess what, they were in different warehouses and the shipping doubled to $17-LOL

There policy on shipping is ridiculous, although you can always offset this in part with a 5% discount code.
It isn't your fault that they have parts spread across different locations and you shouldn't be charged extra when that's the case.

But if you're judicious about picking parts from fewer shipping locations the prices almost always beat anyone else.

To me, the nylock nut tells the story that the part has been used. Those nuts are one-time use only (technically) so it makes sense to get a new one.

Would be interesting to see a pic of your replacement part to compare.

They took care of you as I was sure they would.

"New" to me means not installed. But handled or fingerprints would be OK. In the best of cases, one would not want to reuse the nut without additional Loctite.

But lets not compare this to say Walmart getting a no-nname filter in a M1 box. Or used motor oil in a new oil jug.

I order lots from Rock Auto and have had two issues over the years. One was a badly dented oil filter and the other was a torn air filer element. Both times their customer service with truly top notch. Fast, professional, no questions asked, and replacement parts sent immediately. In both cases they did not make me bother with returning the damaged piece.

About the comments here about shipping, yes, you need to pick parts carefully to avoid the issue of too much shipping $$. Because they usually have so many choices with any particular part, it is not that difficult to "optimize" your shipping charges. But, yes...you absolutely need to pay attention and be careful. In my opinion, it is worth it.

Ive ordered from them several several times. Have TONS of magnets. They've messed up a few times, even sent me a clearly used headlamp assembly once, and have made it right every single time.

Maybe I'm just not that picky, but I would have installed the "used" part. I don't think it would have been any problem. Now if something had been boogered up and then returned, then that's a diff story.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Maybe I'm just not that picky, but I would have installed the "used" part. I don't think it would have been any problem. Now if something had been boogered up and then returned, then that's a diff story.

I probably would have gotten a new nylock and run with it. Only reason is nylocks are one and done. That one was clearly used. The rest of it looks new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back