I hate RockAuto right now

The crazy thing is the address of both the machine shop and the recipient of the parts is on the the box of parts I sent back. I think I will try to reach out and let them know what's happened.

I took a photo of everything so I have all their info
You’re a good man.

We got some huge mirror left by FedEx and we walked it over. It was like 6 houses down. Somewhere someone else is missing their delivery as you said 👍

As a little kid, that catalog was packed with stuff I liked. Curb feelers, louvers/reflectors for sealed beams, wide white whatevers for the tires
I liked all the white on black Stuart Warner gauges. As a 12 year old, wanted a custom dash car with about 8 of these gauges, a speedo and a tachometer.

I bought a clear plastic distributor cap so I could see all the sparks inside the distributor in a dark driveway.

I'm not defending RA but stay calm and work through the return process on their site. If you select that you received the wrong part I'd be surprised if you have to pay return shipping

You can email service but they'll almost surely tell you the same thing, ie initiate a return online
This happened to me once. Ordered a bunch of things with a timing belt kit, including an idler pulley for the AC belt. Received a random ball joint instead of that pulley. Initiated an exchange, they just sent me the correct part and let me keep the ball joint. Anyone need some random ball joint? Looks pretty heavy duty, pretty sure it's off a truck. Haha

Last edited:
I like RA and appreciate their catalog for cross reference. I use them if they are the best price after shipping. I did order two closeout oil filters that were wrong. It was my fault. The pictures imitated what I needed but the part number was slightly different. They were 99 cents each. They show up and they are exact except they have a plastic tube that runs from the middle top, outside and along the edge to the bottom. Something to do with priming or water draining I think. I finally discovered they fit the same model engine as mine but in Europe and a later model year. Price from ECS or FTP, $50. My brother has them now as he has even a larger collections of VW's than I do. I'm not gonna sweat a couple bucks.

I called the company shown as the recipient on the box inside the package sent me. Turns out they are a well drilling company in Oregon and the custom machine parts are for a big pump. Hopefully they don't have an idle well drilling rig and crew waiting on those parts. At least they have more information about their missing package. Hopefully the drop shipper will get it to them.

I buy frequently from RockAuto and yes, they’ve messed up a couple of my orders.

But I still trust their parts (like filters, coils, plugs, small electronics, etc.) over the eBay alternative. My latest lesson learned was the Mercury and the faulty no name eBay ignition coils. The NGK replacements have operated without issue since installation so much so that I decided to use the Mercury and sell my Charger (more inquiries for the Hemi Charger than my grandpa car 😁).

That said, I do notice their catalog is not perfect. It will list parts that supposedly fit on a car that I know do not (like the overlapping models BMW/Mini have in the same year), or suggesting turbos for a NA car. I’ve learned that I need to pay close attention to what I’m looking at with their catalog.

Meanwhile I have drum brake parts for something that they didn’t want back. 😜

They look like the outer part where you would install a bushing in the middle of them. And they would probably be custom welded to the end of some kind of tube or metal bracket to create a connection with a bushing.

I liked all the white on black Stuart Warner gauges. As a 12 year old, wanted a custom dash car with about 8 of these gauges, a speedo and a tachometer.

I bought a clear plastic distributor cap so I could see all the sparks inside the distributor in a dark driveway.
I got that cap too. The JCW catalog was never ending reading.

garage. When I order something, I expect to get said item. I do not want to have to fix their mistake as well as pay for their mistake; it seems this is a running theme with rock auto.

I was doing front brakes on F30 on Sat and ... one of 2 Power Stop rotors had a straight hole instead of this:

1712597711439.jpg

one side was already done so I simply beveled the hole so that retaining screw would have enough threads to stay in and to be flush....
Not blaming RA but Power Stop dropped quite a few lines on my go-to list.

Back