Interesting RockAuto filter problem

So I started buying the filters I frequently use in packs of 12, as ordering them individually from Amazon or Walmart seemed to result in a lot of dented filters bouncing around in incorrectly packed plastic shipping bags, and time wasted returning them.

I ordered 12 Champ PH2867XL filters from RockAuto. The price was good, they seem like a good filter, and they would fit the 3 Hondas I service for my family members.

The filters showed up in 2 separate boxes. The first box contained 6 filters that seemed correct, although it is clear they have a nitrile ADBV instead of a silicone which is a bit annoying. The second box of 6 filters is clearly different. Even though they are in the same boxes, with the same sticker, they are clearly sized different with different threads. The date codes on them give it away, since one clearly says PH2867XL, while the other says HP4477, which is apparently a PH4386 sized filter. If it was just a PH6607 sized filter and would still fit Hondas I would be annoyed but wouldn't complain, but these won't even fit the cars I bought them for. 😵‍💫 I e-mailed RockAuto, so we will see what they say, but just proves once again you never know what you will receive when ordering.

View attachment 202681View attachment 202682View attachment 202683View attachment 202684View attachment 202685View attachment 202686

Good Morning Jeepman3071,
Glad you reported this and am sorry you have to deal with the hassle of returns.
I have difficulty trusting mail order oil filters because I like to be able to check the filter quality, confirm its the right one in the box and check the date code. Over time I can also see the filter changes occurring. I was in Walmart yesterday and discovered the Fram PH Extra Guard filters now have a nylon center core. A month ago they were steel with holes (vs louvers).

I posted this on another thread - but this looks like just another example of First Brands cheapening driven by their overall financials maybe?

So what are we left with.

Can't buy @ RA because who knows what you might get per above.

Can't buy at Amazon because they comingle 3rd party sellers with their own?

Walmart has limited brand options.

Auto parts store down the road wants 10 bucks for Jobber filter and has limited inventory anyway. Suppose you can order?

Ideas?
Shipping sometimes is an issue..

Glad you reported this and am sorry you have to deal with the hassle of returns.
I have difficulty trusting mail order oil filters because I like to be able to check the filter quality, confirm its the right one in the box and check the date code. Over time I can also see the filter changes occurring. I was in Walmart yesterday and discovered the Fram PH Extra Guard filters now have a nylon center core. A month ago they were steel with holes (vs louvers).
Are you saying you saw orange cans with an encore type center tube? That’s definitely new. Unless they were the Fram jobber filter Walmart uses in the auto center. Those have been known to occasionally make it out to the retail shelf when they weren’t supposed to.

Are you saying you saw orange cans with an encore type center tube? That’s definitely new. Unless they were the Fram jobber filter Walmart uses in the auto center. Those have been known to occasionally make it out to the retail shelf when they weren’t supposed to.
Good info KC 👍
I Also heard Walmart is shipping Fram Ultras out with a new GTL based preservative to correct the rust issues. 😆 🤣

Premium Guard has been getting a lot of attention here lately for well built affordable filters. The EcoGards are a sub brand. Their various brands are available from multiple places. I got an XL Premium Guard from Walmart who also has EcoGuard. Carquest premiums, MicroGard XLs and some STP filters are also Premium Guard made.

I’m about 1100 miles from spinning my first one onto the Mustang.

Good info KC 👍
I Also heard Walmart is shipping Fram Ultras out with a new GTL based preservative to correct the rust issues. 😆 🤣
Totally false. GTL does not exist. Anyone claiming differently is a heretic who can’t be trusted.

Premium Guard has been getting a lot of attention here lately for well built affordable filters. The EcoGards are a sub brand. Their various brands are available from multiple places. I got an XL Premium Guard from Walmart who also has EcoGuard. Carquest premiums, MicroGard XLs and some STP filters are also Premium Guard made.

I’m about 1100 miles from spinning my first one onto the Mustang.
I have used many on 2L Mitsubishis
and no issues at all out to 10-12k miles. On this application though they were a bit smaller but the synthetic versions were great 👍

That is pretty disappointing to see OP. Someone on the assembly line was asleep on the labeling machine during a batch run. I have a few boxes stockpiled too, opened and spot checked and all are good. Rockauto should make you whole.

Wow, total screw up with the sticker on the smaller filter. Somebody dropped the ball with that one. Not even the shorty 6607 which would fit, but the sae thread 4386 used on Toyotas. o_O

If the XL is supposed to have silicone adbv, FB went through that stage subbing nitrile for silicone. Perhaps made during that period.

Not all RAs fault here, but a mess for sure.

I wouldn't be too upset over an e-core. I'd rather have an e-core than some of the louvers I've seen that weren't opened all the way.

Wow, total screw up with the sticker on the smaller filter. Somebody dropped the ball with that one. Not even the shorty 6607 which would fit, but the sae thread 4386 used on Toyotas. o_O

If the XL is supposed to have silicone adbv, FB went through that stage subbing nitrile for silicone. Perhaps made during that period.

Not all RAs fault here, but a mess for sure.
I can actually use these filters on mowers that take the PH4967 size, but they definitely don't fit the Hondas I intended them for, and I'm a little hesitant to use them on any mowers besides my own, since only I know they are labeled incorrectly.

I can actually use these filters on mowers that take the PH4967 size, but they definitely don't fit the Hondas I intended them for, and I'm a little hesitant to use them on any mowers besides my own, since only I know they are labeled incorrectly.
Are you certain the 4967 will work on your mowers? Same threads as common 3614 for OPE use, but sealing gasket dimensions different.

Perhaps RA will give you some kind of credit for the wrong filters received.

Last edited:
Back