Beware! Parts Dropshippers sending counterfeit parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something is definitely wrong. If they're substituting a straight hose for a pre-formed no longer made, it shouldn't have the same part #.

I don't see how it would be that hard for a counterfeiter to put a QR or bar code on something. I could do that myself, using the provided picture, laser printer, and a sheet of stickers. It would take more work to get the stickers.

How do you define counterfeit? There may be no deliberate attempt to deceive, rather an innocent mix-up at the factory packaging them, or someone decided to make a substitution but list under the original part # which it is not (which is actually a form of counterfeiting, if it states made by the OEM and has the same part # it always did, then it can't be sold as that and be a different part).

It does not matter what they picture. OEM part and part # are the primary criteria. A run of a substitute part that supercedes the OEM, cannot be sold with the claim it is the OEM same part #. There has to be a prominent qualifier that it's a substitute and not that specific part #, even if it's just the first or last digit in the part # being different or missing, and then still a matter of whether an official OEM part substitution.

Last edited:
It does not matter what they picture. OEM part and part # are the primary criteria. A run of a substitute part that supercedes the OEM, cannot be sold with the claim it is the OEM same part #. There has to be a prominent qualifier that it's a substitute and not that specific part #, even if it's just the first or last digit in the part # being different or missing.
It most certainly can. I see it all the time with my old cars and it was also common on my old BMW.

I find it hard to believe a counterfeiter would bother with such an obscure part.
Well, they could just throw a straight piece of hose in to fill an order for tens of thousands of different vehicle hoses. Is it worth the bother, might depend on the value of the time of those doing it. Some people in some areas of the world, have nothing but time to generate pennies per hour of their work.
It most certainly can. I see it all the time with my old cars and it was also common on my old BMW.
Then you're passively excusing counterfeiting for lack of better parts options?

It can't be the same part # and listed as the OEM part. That's like ordering a Tesla 3 and they deliver a Chevy Volt and say "we substituted it and called it the same thing".

It is not legal to do that. The part name, #, or status as being the OEM part MUST be clearly stated as different from the original OEM part or else it's a bait and switch.

At which Honda factory was your 2010 Civic built? It looks like the hoses you ordered online only fit the Civics assembled at the Alliston, Ontario Canada facility (i.e., Mfg. Origin: CN1, CN2).

1700617650623.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back