So I received my replacement bearing from RockAuto

So I googled the address on your envelope picture - 1200 State Fair Blvd Syracuse NY. "united Auto Supply". Maybe someone in the NE has heard of them - I have not.

This is the problem. One day you get parts from a high quality warehouse in a RA box, the next day you get this. I get the same sort of crap from Amazon and Walmart.com also - who are supposed to be gods gift to retailing. Hard to find good help.

I would use the bearing unless there is obvious signs of damage.
United Auto Supply is a pretty big outfit locally. They have several warehouses in NY State, and many medium to large towns have stores for walkup and wholesale distribution to installers. They also sell and distribute bulk motor oil to garages and dealers, which is unusual for the parts warehouse business model.
Rock Auto is just a side hustle for them. I'm speculating (on BITOG? No!) that when an order picker sees an obviously returned part in damaged packaging, it goes to Rock Auto every time. Probably gone forever, and no regular customer to complain.

I use Parts Authority at work as well as personally. Any problems with anything, they handle it quickly. My pricing usually beats RA and Amazon. They sell some items from OEM’s, and identify in their app if a parts is from the original manufacturer or an OE approved supplier.

Thanks for the heads up!

I've noticed some oddities with RA orders that shipped from the Parts Authority at 1805 Riverview Dr, San Bernardino, CA. Most recently, I ordered two Valeo 900 wiper blades, regular inventory (ie not warehouse closeouts), and one of them appears to be either used, a return or just really old stock? The rubber on Valeo 900 blades have a "glitter" to them when new and the blade in question was dull and matte compared to the new blade. The questionable blade was also in a re-labeled Valeo box, where the box was originally labeled for a different size. Both blades had a Sharpie mark across the connector, similar to remainder marks on books.

In another order from the same Parts Authority, spark plugs were thrown into a bubble envelope with a couple oil filters and of course, the spark plugs got pretty beat up by UPS. These really should've been in a box, but what can you do... Unfortunately not worth pursuing any recourse for these type of things, which is why retailers can continue to get away with poor practices.

Interestingly, this Parts Authority warehouse is also the return address for RockAuto's return department...

I've noticed some oddities with RA orders that shipped from the Parts Authority at 1805 Riverview Dr, San Bernardino, CA. Most recently, I ordered two Valeo 900 wiper blades, regular inventory (ie not warehouse closeouts), and one of them appears to be either used, a return or just really old stock? The rubber on Valeo 900 blades have a "glitter" to them when new and the blade in question was dull and matte compared to the new blade. The questionable blade was also in a re-labeled Valeo box, where the box was originally labeled for a different size. Both blades had a Sharpie mark across the connector, similar to remainder marks on books.

In another order from the same Parts Authority, spark plugs were thrown into a bubble envelope with a couple oil filters and of course, the spark plugs got pretty beat up by UPS. These really should've been in a box, but what can you do... Unfortunately not worth pursuing any recourse for these type of things, which is why retailers can continue to get away with poor practices.

Interestingly, this Parts Authority warehouse is also the return address for RockAuto's return department...

This is exactly why I have halted businesses with them..

This is exactly why I have halted businesses with them..
funny/ironic isn't it?! Same story, different warehouse supplier, RockAuto in common.. I stopped buying from them too when they (Wait I'm repeating myself) blamed me, the customer, for the damage their warehouses did to the parts. That is the most insane thing ever.. anyway @Twisted1 I couldn't agree with you more! (y)

funny/ironic isn't it?! Same story, different warehouse supplier, RockAuto in common.. I stopped buying from them too when they (Wait I'm repeating myself) blamed me, the customer, for the damage their warehouses did to the parts. That is the most insane thing ever.. anyway @Twisted1 I couldn't agree with you more! (y)

I’m glad you’re taking your business elsewhere @researcher !! I have a feeling that WalMart will eventually step up with more trusted tool and parts suppliers in their online structure. They’re already beating Amazon with their same-day delivery service for online orders.

Interestingly this was the location of my last order - and I live on the East Coast, so I found it odd. I only ordered a 02 sensor, 2 spark plug boots, and an oil filter. They all appear new. The Denso sensor is in its sealed bag, and it was all packed well in a box.

I’m glad you’re taking your business elsewhere @researcher !! I have a feeling that WalMart will eventually step up with more trusted tool and parts suppliers in their online structure. They’re already beating Amazon with their same-day delivery service for online orders.
that's not a bad idea.. maybe walmart will try this. and amazon's prices have been going up on some products.. might be good competition!

There is a price you pay for discount cheap auto parts through the mail, and this is it. Don't get me wrong, I'll continue to order from Rockauto, the savings I get are well worth the occasional hassle- though I've never had a problem yet. Price stuff out through O'Reilly, napa, or wherever, it's a bargain.

I have roughly 30 successful orders from RA and only one order where I got a returned item that was defective (a strut bearing). The previous purchaser went out of their way to clean and seal up the used part very well and I could see how it passed a visual inspection. I contacted RA and told them what was wrong and they next day air shipped me a replacement part and sent me a prepaid label to ship back the defect one. Was it inconvenient, sure, but it’s the cost of DIYing and saving boatloads of cash. This is one of the reasons why I never do a that will take a vehicle off the road if it is critically needed over the foreseeable future; that way I have time to troubleshoot things or I can get additional parts or tools as needed.

I'm speculating (on BITOG? No!) that when an order picker sees an obviously returned part in damaged packaging, it goes to Rock Auto every time. Probably gone forever, and no regular customer to complain.
A pecking order-with a dumping ground constituting the bottom rung- applied to customers? I never heard of such a thing. (sarcasm)

As some of you may know, I ordered 2 wheel bearings from RA a couple of weeks ago and one of the bearings was used and had “wrong bearing” written on the box in sharpie. No biggie, I simply returned it. Well a little after waiting a week, I received my replacement bearing.

*As a quick note for readers, please consider that the warehouse suppliers for RA ship parts on the daily, they know what time of the year it is, AND they hopefully have half of a brain to gauge the distance a part has to travel combined with the weight of it..

1st pic is of the first order with the used bearing. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th is how the replacement part arrived today. At this point it is both comical and concerning:
I got 4 used spark plugs from them a couple weeks ago. Ordered 8 Denso IT24 plugs which came in 2 packages of 4 plugs. One package had obviously never been opened and one package came out of the trash can, complete with greasy finger prints etc. All 4 of those plugs had been installed and ran, looked like they weren't ran long but that doesn't matter.

It almost isn't worth the time messing around with their returns, pics, label printing, drop-off for the price of 4 spark plugs. I got my 4 new plugs a couple days later.

I got 4 used spark plugs from them a couple weeks ago. Ordered 8 Denso IT24 plugs which came in 2 packages of 4 plugs. One package had obviously never been opened and one package came out of the trash can, complete with greasy finger prints etc. All 4 of those plugs had been installed and ran, looked like they weren't ran long but that doesn't matter.

It almost isn't worth the time messing around with their returns, pics, label printing, drop-off for the price of 4 spark plugs. I got my 4 new plugs a couple days later.

100% this. My time is precious to me and it’s not all that hard checking packages in the warehouse when you have paid workers to do the job.

It’s just pure laziness from those RA associated warehouses and we the consumers are having to do the work that they should’ve done when we receive the wrong or used part.

100% this. My time is precious to me and it’s not all that hard checking packages in the warehouse when you have paid workers to do the job.

It’s just pure laziness from those RA associated warehouses and we the consumers are having to do the work that they should’ve done when we receive the wrong or used part.
This is why garages buy local and pay. Time is money. Honestly don't disagree - RA is a total crapshoot. But you have to decide if its worth saving 50% or not. Some days you win, some days you loose.

This is why garages buy local and pay. Time is money. Honestly don't disagree - RA is a total crapshoot. But you have to decide if its worth saving 50% or not. Some days you win, some days you loose.

I’m not a young Buck anymore to gamble that so I will pay the 50% to control my blood pressure from having to deal with the frustrations 🤣

Well for that matter, I got brake calipers at AutoZone a few years ago. The one box had greasy fingerprints on it at the counter. Looked inside and it had obviously been installed for a short time and attempted to be cleaned off. I'm guessing it didn't solve their problem and they returned it. I pointed it out, and was told they could get another the next day. I was in a time crunch so just installed it. Point is, this stuff happens at local stores too.

Complaining about RA is like complaining about your wife's sidepiece doing her wrong. :LOL:

RA and oreilly are my GoTo parts places. Just got 2 orders from them last week and everything was well packed and no box damage.

Well for that matter, I got brake calipers at AutoZone a few years ago. The one box had greasy fingerprints on it at the counter. Looked inside and it had obviously been installed for a short time and attempted to be cleaned off. I'm guessing it didn't solve their problem and they returned it. I pointed it out, and was told they could get another the next day. I was in a time crunch so just installed it. Point is, this stuff happens at local stores too.
Yep, I've received-- at the counter -- trans filters obviously dripping ATF, rebuilt calipers with incorrectly seated piston boots, and CV axles covered in greasy fingerprints.

I guess the obvious difference is that you can spot it right there, but even so I must force myself to remember "trust but verify" and open all boxes before leaving the store. And with things like calipers it's best to verify bleeder location to make sure you're not receiving "the other" side ;)

Back