Most Satisfying Part of an Oil Change

Letting it drain overnight so I get as much of the old oil out as possible. Carefully pre-filling the filter all the way to the bottom of the threads and threading it on without spilling a drop. Checking the oil level the following day and finding the oil line bisects the "full" hole in the dipstick.

What do you find most satisfying about changing oil?

For me it changed a little bit. I used to love pouring the new oil into the motor and watching the gold liquid go in. Now with 0W20 its over too quickly. I also loved starting up for the first time and hearing the engine run on new oil. I still love that but its not the most satisfying.

Now for some reason I find draining the old oil most satisfying. When you crack that drain plug and the hot oil first comes out. I love that.

This post made my day. For years I have told people that I love changing the oil, and watching the old oil drain. So many people have looked at me like I had 3 heads.

I find it therapeutic just watching it drain.

Examining the filter media after wicking most of its oil out for a week, and finding there's practically nothing caught in it---despite it having racked up enough mileage to scare most BitOGers.

Knowing I got under the car and checked everything else. Getting a good look at the underside and knowing all is ok. Plus knowing the oil plug wasn't spun on with an impact and stripped out from somewhere that doesn't have the same level of care as I do.

Looking around underneath and all looks dry....Pushing the button in and it now says 100% on the oil life....

Walking the oil/filter isle at Walmart and thinking about the next oil change. Doesn’t matter if I just did one.

Reactions: hrv
When the fluid extractor finally reaches 8 quarts, looking up at the blue sky on a sunny Sunday afternoon in my yard and realizing i extracted it all without a lift and i didn't have to touch the drain plug, which hasn't been touched in years and nothing to strip.

Then i look at the huge filter housing which holds a huge filter and....huh...how nice of them.....it's just right there within easy reach and again, no lift.
I will pray for you :D

As I was reading your post it occurred to me my lift might be my favorite "tool"

Getting the oil and filter on sale and imagining how far into the future my stash will supply me.

I've still got Maxlife 5w30 from 2005. I ran it in a camry my kid drives, and I bought it before he was born!
I just finished off some Valvoline Racing (the weird blue stuff) from around the same time ;)

Everything....

Watching the old oil coming out and not noticing anything unusual, opening the new jugs smelling the fresh oil, pouring it in, pre filling the new filter, putting a new washer and go for a ride with the car imagining the new oil going around the engine.

And seeing the replys of this post, knowing i do not have mental problems for feeling good about all of the above lol!

Back