Fail-Pro Gaskets

From a DIY shade tree mechanic perspective, did Fel-Pro used to be a go-to after market company that has fallen from grace, similar to how MOOG and Timken have become questionable? I used a Fel-Pro transmission gasket over a dozen years ago and it was a very stout, high quality product.

Or is Trav hinting that some of Fel-Pro products are o.k., but you have to do due diligence to figure out which ones are good (with any brand)?
Sure, I have bought a few Fel-Pro gaskets that were reboxed OE. You have a better chance getting these if it is for a low volume vehicle and not worth them setting up a production line for them, check out the box at a local store for the COO.

Replaced this time with OE or what?
That was my thought, what can be trusted…

I actually bought a factory OE GM water pump for this reason. The gasket and the torque to yield bolts. I lucked out, someone who reviewed the pump said please use rtv even though GM doesn’t say to. You don’t want to do this twice as I did…

Good luck OP that’s certainly frustrating… 👍

That sucks! Fel-pro used to be the next best gaskets for the Evo, after OEM but maybe they've gone the cheap route now (but that was 10+ years ago.)

WOW, you guys are pros and no doubt you're on-the-money but this is the first I've heard of Fel-Pro being bad.
I thought it was a time honored name.

I hope my eclipse glasses weren't made by Fel-Pro.
Yes me too, good to know. Used Fel-Pro for years - most recently on the upper intake of my Xterra. They were made in USA so I figured OK? Hope I don't need to redo it. If I do I guess its not a giant task, but its not 10 minutes either.

1712593500565.jpg

I remember you posting about issues with Fel-Pro before. And I remember when you done these gaskets. Sorry about an early failure. When we have to get aftermarket gaskets at work that’s all we get is Fel-Pro and I have not seen any come back so far so that’s good. I’ve only ever used Fel-Pro gaskets on my personal stuff too and never had a problem. Hopefully you can find ones that will last longer. I have always wanted to work on a Previa lol. The most I’ve ever got to do for one was an oil change.

Just re-did FELPRO head gaskets on a small block Buick we did 3 years ago. Oil weeping ever so slightly. These blocks have an oil passage thru the block head interface to the rocker shaft stanchions. Odd the feed hole is right next to a head bolt.

Owner wanted no goo.

Does now. Lil' mouse-tail bead of O.E. grey or black in what you might guess are critical areas.

I think we had to buy three engine sets total to get all the required gaskets that were supposed to be provided. Lost hours.

Too bad the Fel-Pro didn't work because they're blue and look so cool :D
(sorry, I had to!)

Mahle should be better since they're made in Japan :unsure:

If once-great Fel-Pro gaskets are this poorly rated nowadays, I'm really second guessing using that Taiwan-made Beck/Arnley valve cover gasket I have on hand that I was going to use on my Accord.

Fel-Pro likes to use the same blue material for EVERY gasket they make, Gaskets are different materials for a reason.

Some of their problem solver gaskets are great.....Like GM 3800 & LS truck engine metal frame Intake Gaskets which strangely enough don't use the blue silicone material.

I pretty much don't use Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets on anything.

Fel-Pro likes to use the same blue material for EVERY gasket they make, Gaskets are different materials for a reason.

Some of their problem solver gaskets are great.....Like GM 3800 & LS truck engine metal frame Intake Gaskets which strangely enough don't use the blue silicone material.

I pretty much don't use Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets on anything.
Oddly enough, the VCG and exterior cover gaskets were black, but the tube seals were blue.

View attachment 212984View attachment 212985
My dad called me and said his Previa was pouring oil. Since the complaint was coming from a person who typically ignores most vehicle issues, it warranted an investigation.

10 months and 2500 miles ago, I resealed the valve cover using a Fel-Pro VS50386R kit. I have a longtime policy of not using Fel-Pro to seal in any liquids, but I violated my own policy…and now I get to redo it again.

The Valve Cover gasket is pouring oil and all four spark plug tube seals are dripping.

And yes, I re-checked all of the fasteners - they are tight, so this isn’t a case of gasket shrinkage. Interestingly enough, the valve cover was bone dry for 10 months, then it suddenly started leaking.
I’m just surprised to see a functioning Previa. How many miles are on that thing? Must be 30 years old. How can it be tooting around with last-minute maintenance?

Back