Most Satisfying Part of an Oil Change

Knowing that it’s done correctly by me, with the products of my choice.
And while I’m underneath the car I get to look at anything else I need to look at. But if you paid somebody money they would actually miss a possible problem because they’re always in a hurry to get to the next job.
That is key - looking around and spotting trouble and catching it early.

The most satisfying part of doing my own oil change is knowing the job is done properly. I don't need to trust that some grease monkey didn't screw something up like strip the drain plug or put the wrong oil in. Or worse never did what I paid for. That last one happened to me back in the old days.

Nothing, but I do way too many... enough that I use 300 gallon totes to hold the used oil.
Some of my stuff holds 10 or 11 gallons.

What do you find most satisfying about changing oil?

For me it changed a little bit. I used to love pouring the new oil into the motor and watching the gold liquid go in. Now with 0W20 its over too quickly. I also loved starting up for the first time and hearing the engine run on new oil. I still love that but its not the most satisfying.

Now for some reason I find draining the old oil most satisfying. When you crack that drain plug and the hot oil first comes out. I love that.
Being done with it till the next time.

Being able to perform the service and knowing it is done right, not dwelling on the fact that one day way way in the future I won't be able to accomplish what I have just done.

The quiet time of not having the wife talk. She thinks it can take an hour for the oil to drain and cleanup takes another half hour.

It's just me time.
If the weather permits, you can get out a lawn chair and sit in the open garage doorway and tip back a couple brews. With a little planning, you'll be able to stay away from the wife all afternoon.

Back