More HPL success stories, this time heavy equipment!

I don’t know all of the details, mainly because it’s proprietary, but one of the companies that the company I work for has involvement in heavy equipment usage and maintenance. He shared with me that they have a fleet of Caterpillar equipment with 2500HP engines. Caterpillar brand oil isn’t exactly cheap, and the engines take around 55 gallons of oil each. These engines are generally in use 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week in most cases, so hours pile up quickly. Think oil & gas industry, and you’ll be close.

This is all simply relaying what I was told, so take with a grain of salt… but since we’re not buying CAT equipment nor oil from this company (not even same industry), I see no reason why they’d not tell the truth in this instance.

CAT oil in this application was being changed at 400 hour intervals, so roughly every 3-3.5 weeks, verified using UOAs through Polaris to determine oil condemnation points. This equipment has been running HPL since mid-2017 on 2,000 hour OCIs and delivering UOAs extremely similar to the CAT oil at 400 hours!!

This is why I love BITOG and that HPL decided to advertise here- since many of these trials are proprietary with both company and product, us “plebes” never get to hear about the products that are really moving the needle since the company who ran the trial is seeking every performance edge against their competition. If not for anecdotal evidence and then the open discussion that HPL does provide both here on the board and in offline conversations, most of us would only ever know about the Big 3 oil manufacturers, and we’d never know something better existed.

This contact had nothing but praise for HPL across the board from their interactions, and also said they continue to use several other products from HPL with similar performance increases and reduced total cost of ownership.

I’ll continue to press and see if I can get a sanitized UOA report that can be shared- a 2500HP diesel UOA that equates to 3 months of round-the-clock use would be fascinating IMO!

Must be out of warranty or don’t care - my experience with CAT is you change oil based on published numbers - and then the UOA is just the next step - not a free pass to run as long as you want …

Must be out of warranty or don’t care - my experience with CAT is you change oil based on published numbers - and then the UOA is just the next step - not a free pass to run as long as you want …
Or a larger oil pan can triple the hours etc …
Still their number …

I don’t know all of the details, mainly because it’s proprietary, but one of the companies that the company I work for has involvement in heavy equipment usage and maintenance. He shared with me that they have a fleet of Caterpillar equipment with 2500HP engines. Caterpillar brand oil isn’t exactly cheap, and the engines take around 55 gallons of oil each. These engines are generally in use 16-18 hours a day, 7 days a week in most cases, so hours pile up quickly. Think oil & gas industry, and you’ll be close.

This is all simply relaying what I was told, so take with a grain of salt… but since we’re not buying CAT equipment nor oil from this company (not even same industry), I see no reason why they’d not tell the truth in this instance.

CAT oil in this application was being changed at 400 hour intervals, so roughly every 3-3.5 weeks, verified using UOAs through Polaris to determine oil condemnation points. This equipment has been running HPL since mid-2017 on 2,000 hour OCIs and delivering UOAs extremely similar to the CAT oil at 400 hours!!

This is why I love BITOG and that HPL decided to advertise here- since many of these trials are proprietary with both company and product, us “plebes” never get to hear about the products that are really moving the needle since the company who ran the trial is seeking every performance edge against their competition. If not for anecdotal evidence and then the open discussion that HPL does provide both here on the board and in offline conversations, most of us would only ever know about the Big 3 oil manufacturers, and we’d never know something better existed.

This contact had nothing but praise for HPL across the board from their interactions, and also said they continue to use several other products from HPL with similar performance increases and reduced total cost of ownership.

I’ll continue to press and see if I can get a sanitized UOA report that can be shared- a 2500HP diesel UOA that equates to 3 months of round-the-clock use would be fascinating IMO!
These sound like frac pump engines - they have so many 6 and 7 digit jobs stacked up - and they want to preserve schedule …

These engines can also be used with IGBT/VFD or Z drive marine propulsion applications - and they will want TBN …

I was being a little sarcastic. Can't help it sometimes. lol

I'm sure it's a useful number but not a "catchall" like everything else in life!

These engines can also be used with IGBT/VFD or Z drive marine propulsion applications - and they will want TBN …
What’s your basks that running electric propulsion or power electronic distribution systems will drive the tbn requirement? I suspect if anything it will drive towards lower speeds and variable speed generation, less fuel burn, etc.

Mobil does. Has for basically forever.
Sounds like they make it to CAT's specifications for a certain price point so CAT can resell the oil change for a decent profit. I am sure if CAT wanted better performance, Mobil could certainly get them there, but maybe not at a price margin that CAT is looking for.

Good to hear HPL is doing really well in these things and saving the operators money.

Sounds like they make it to CAT's specifications for a certain price point so CAT can resell the oil change for a decent profit. I am sure if CAT wanted better performance, Mobil could certainly get them there, but maybe not at a price margin that CAT is looking for.

Good to hear HPL is doing really well in these things and saving the operators money.

Not really. A lot of their products are a direct cross. With basically identical testing. Mobil will actually supply the bulk oil as Mobil branded. Where the packaged products just are in CAT labeled drums & buckets, etc.

It would be cost inefficient for them to have two products. To stock more SKU’s, additive packages, etc. actually is very expensive when it comes to blending. Let alone base oils and such.

As I said, Mobil’s relationship with CAT goes back into the 1960’s if not before that. One of Mobil’s “5” lubricant engineers that created the Mobil line of lubricants back in the day, quit Mobil and came to work for my family. Which is why a lot of my house branded lubricants perform very similarly to Mobil products.

We had a CITGO engineer after he retired. That influenced a lot of our Turbine oils and R&O oils.

That being said, I’m very knowledgeable about this subject because we supply CAT dealerships. This particular CAT dealer, we’re the only company besides CAT that supplies/Supplied all their stores besides CAT.

Not really. A lot of their products are a direct cross. With basically identical testing. Mobil will actually supply the bulk oil as Mobil branded. Where the packaged products just are in CAT labeled drums & buckets, etc.

It would be cost inefficient for them to have two products. To stock more SKU’s, additive packages, etc. actually is very expensive when it comes to blending. Let alone base oils and such.

As I said, Mobil’s relationship with CAT goes back into the 1960’s if not before that. One of Mobil’s “5” lubricant engineers that created the Mobil line of lubricants back in the day, quit Mobil and came to work for my family. Which is why a lot of my house branded lubricants perform very similarly to Mobil products.

We had a CITGO engineer after he retired. That influenced a lot of our Turbine oils and R&O oils.

That being said, I’m very knowledgeable about this subject because we supply CAT dealerships. This particular CAT dealer, we’re the only company besides CAT that supplies/Supplied all their stores besides CAT.
Appreciate the explanation, thanks.

After a bunch of digging, I actually found the case study for this. Obviously it progressed past what’s in this paper, and the customer is running the 2k hour service intervals. Wish there was more in-depth info for reference, but it’s easy to see that nobody’s going to risk one of these machines on a 2k interval if it’s putting the equipment at risk. HPL FTW!

I recently sent a former coworker High Performance Lubricants contact info. He now manages a fleet of GE F7EA & 6B combustion turbines. I know the 6B's were having varnish issues as they were back when he & I were both lead operators.

Funny thing is, that job was what got me to use Amsoil filters on my vehicles as we had switched from the GE paper oil filters to Donaldson synthetic filters. The Donaldson filters brought down our particulate counts as well as extended our filter changes. I've since started using Fram synthetic filters but still have a few of the Amsoil filters left over.

if the piece of equipment has a warranty, they have to follow the Manufacturer guidelines... once the warranty expires fleets get to do it any way they want and most of them do.

before my retirement,at work we had two at the time cat gen sets,at/around 2300 hp,,one night our cat vendor comes in to change oil&filters, they used Mobil 15w-40 delvac,the oil is changed every year with less than 200 hrs average on the meters,,unless we have a extended storm or outage,asked one of the guys who did work and he said its the same as cat branded oil ,this is done under a annual service contract

Back