Mobil1 5W40 FS x2: What is the point?

Someone got it. I was doing a customers truck yesterday that brought his own oil and had three quarts of this to add to his 2 gallons of TDT Mobil 1
30C1D7D2-1A2C-4A39-9A4D-986CB57673A6.jpeg

Don’t the oil companies have to pay for the approvals?
They pay the $5k or whatever it is these days for the testing. Automakers don't receive a cut on the sale of oil with their approval on the bottle.

Licensing involves IP. Example, NASCAR label on bottle of Valvoline. Exxon Mobil allows Warren to blend and sell M1 0w40 under the Warren Label. There may or may not be a fee or profit sharing arrangement.

Last edited:
Yes they do, it is around $5K (when I worked on VW504.00/507.00 oil testing VW charged 3,200 euros). Do you think that is a lot of money for Mobil1?
Better XOM to answer the question, rather than one who's not valued at $236.06B.

Mobil1 5W40 FS x2: What is the point?​

Edyvw: After reading this thread, the question still begs an adequate answer!

Outside of Mobil wanting to steal away unwitting customers, who the heck knows.

If to be based solely on VOAs, viscosimetry and base oils specified in MSDSs, Mobil1 FS x2 5W-40 is fully dentical to Mobil1 FS 5W-40, but there are rumors that x2 contains a zirconium based friction modifier and it has really good resistance to cavitation among 5W-40 ACEA A3/B3/B4 oils.

If to be based solely on VOAs, viscosimetry and base oils specified in MSDSs, Mobil1 FS x2 5W-40 is fully dentical to Mobil1 FS 5W-40, but there are rumors that x2 contains a zirconium based friction modifier and it has really good resistance to cavitation among 5W-40 ACEA A3/B3/B4 oils.
Lik I said, something does not add up. For M1 to get out on the market with oil that does not have MB229.5 is really, really strange.

Not pertaining to this oil specifically but the M1 website no longer lists any oil for my 2001 S4 other than the super synthetic euro even though FS and FS2 both have 502.00/505.00 certs. I have a bunch of boxes o the 0W-40 I got from Costco years ago when it was on sale. Enough for 3 - 4 oil changes. Without looking I'm guessing it is an older formulation or before they changed it to FS. I haven't changed oil in that car for probably 2 years since I haven't been driving it.

Noted this weekend that this is now shown as "FS" on the bottle vs. "FSx2" on the bottle I have.

Last edited:
Back