Mobil1 5W40 FS x2: What is the point?

So, I have seen this in AAP today:
E8214ED9-7BEF-46EB-B285-46C9F74C185D.jpeg

Some PAO, mostly GTL. Rich in additives same as 0W40. Really good HTHS of 3.8. But no MB229.5. So, what is the point? I just hope they don’t plan to go away with 0W40.

Same price? I really think it's for people who think 0w40 is too thin. I asked a similar question about Rotella gas truck 0w20 and 5w20 recently. They are almost identical with viscosities across the range, so i really only think both exist because some people think 5w20 is too thick and 0w20 too thin. Or because some cars still call for 5w20 specifically, and people will only use exactly that

So what is modern and what non-modern diesel? This oil is aimed at gasoline engines. I would not use it even in DI gasoline engines (same as 0W40).
Non-DPF would be non modern in my opinion. According to M1 this oil is suitable for gasoline and non-modern diesel engines. It has 229.5 and 229.3 MB approvals.

No, it doesn’t have MB229.5.
Check this out, it might be the old Formula M with a new label. Look closely at the label, no other 5w-40 exists with that label. I'm not arguing, just trying to learn more about it.

Check this out, it might be the old Formula M with a new label. Look closely at the label, no other 5w-40 exists with that label. I'm not arguing, just trying to learn more about it.
That is not the same oil:

Back