Mobil 1 has (mostly) improved the HTFS viscosity and VII content with API SP

I put a few Mobil 1 API-SP oils into the HTFS/VII calculator. They don't provide HTHS in the PDS, but I can estimate it by adjusting it so that the base-oil viscosity index (BO VI) ~ 135.

That said, most API-SP Mobil 1 oils have a reduced VII content and a higher HTFS viscosity (high-temperature, full-shear viscosity = base-oil + additive-package viscosity at 150 ℃) than their API-SN counterparts. This is a good thing, as less VII results in a cleaner engine, and a higher HTFS results in less engine wear.

There was at least one exception. They increased the VII content and thinned down the base oil in Mobil 1 Extended-Performance (M1 EP) 0W-20 quite a bit, which is unfortunate because the API-SN/SN PLUS version was an excellent oil that was mostly PAO.

You can find the HTFS/VII table and the background behind it here:

I put a few Mobil 1 API-SP oils into the HTFS/VII calculator. They don't provide HTHS in the PDS, but I can estimate it by adjusting it so that the base-oil viscosity index (BO VI) ~ 135.

That said, most API-SP Mobil 1 oils have a reduced VII content and a higher HTFS viscosity (high-temperature, full-shear viscosity = base-oil + additive-package viscosity at 150 ℃) than their API-SN counterparts. This is a good thing, as less VII results in a cleaner engine, and a higher HTFS results in less engine wear.

There was at least one exception. They increased the VII content and thinned down the base oil in Mobil 1 Extended-Performance (M1 EP) 0W-20 quite a bit, which is unfortunate because the API-SN/SN PLUS version was an excellent oil that was mostly PAO.

For the M1 EP 0W-20, are you referring to the new triple action formula as the one that has been thinned down? I ask because I picked up three jugs that do not say triple action formula, yet they have the API-SP specification. Thanks.

For the M1 EP 0W-20, are you referring to the new triple action formula as the one that has been thinned down? I ask because I picked up three jugs that do not say triple action formula, yet they have the API-SP specification. Thanks.
Yes that’s what I believe he means. And I’ll tell you what...I just bought a jug of the triple action formula...I’ll trade you that jug for a jug of the old formula you just bought. 🤣🤣

Well, that’s bad news for me. I just bought the new Mobil1 EP 0W20 formula, and I intend to run it 10,000 miles. I did mix it with 2 quarts of the old formula I had laying around...perhaps that will help?

Either way, the only thing I really care about with oil, is a clean engine. I assume protection, isnt an issue with my 500 mile weekly highway commute (as the industry standards should handle my use easily). But, I never want my oil control rings to stick. I never want carbon buildup or sludge in those lands, sticking those rings, and leading to excessive oil consumption. I want the cleanest capable oil I can find, and I want it to deliver for 10,000 miles. I don’t have direct injection. Or turbos. Just a Toyota V6, with 108,000 miles...zero issues, zero oil consumption. I want it to stay that way, and I’d like an oil that can easily take that engine to 10,000 miles. Cleanly. Mobil1 EP has been that oil for me, nit sure if it still will be.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I'm not surprised by the change to the EP 0W-20 unfortunately. That oil's specs were a carry over from the M1 AP product, as AP 0W-20 became EP 0W-20. It was inevitable that it would be "cost improved".

@Gokhan there are at least two Mobil 1 API SP product versions: Dexos 1 Gen 2 and Dexos 1 Gen 3. Their marketing is fantastic, calling it the "Tripple Action Formula." from what I can tell, the most significant changes happened when Mobil 1 went to D1G3. Before this change, we had M1 EP 0W-20 that was 2/3rds PAO and other goodies. Now everything is primarily thin group III base oil. Is this a bad thing? No, but probably and realistically, the change in formulation won't affect the average motorist in any tangible way, good or bad. Also, don't forget that there is more to motor oil than the base oil group blended with, and Mobil formulates and tests their lubes accordingly.

Last edited:
There are at least two Mobil 1 API SP product versions: Dexos 1 Gen 2 and Dexos 1 Gen 3. Their marketing is fantastic, calling it the "Tripple Action Formula." from what I can tell, the most significant changes happened when Mobil 1 went to D1G3. Before this change, we had M1 EP 0W-20 that was 2/3rds PAO and other goodies. Now everything is primarily thin group III base oil. Is this a bad thing? No, but probably and realistically, the change in formulation won't affect the average motorist in any tangible way, good or bad. Also, don't forget that there is more to motor oil than the base oil group blended with, and Mobil formulates and tests their lubes accordingly.
Good video of their testing

Also the formula was the same until dexos 1 gen 3 that was the reformulation. It appears to be a good one to. Now we need a VOA

Gokhan

This is the first time I heard about the "triple-action formula."

The values I used are for the version with API SP and dexos1 Gen 3.

M1 EP 0W-20 SP/dexos1 Gen 3 is still OK to use. The HTFS viscosity decreased by 0.15 cP and VII content increased by 1.75% (hence a higher VI of 181), but that is not too drastic.

M1 AFE 0W-20 SP/dexos1 Gen 3 is more stout in terms of the base-oil (HTFS) viscosity, but you lose the extra antioxidant (AO) and possibly some extra detergent and dispersant.

For longer OCIs, definitely go with M1 EP instead of M1/M1 AFE.

This is the first time I heard about the "triple-action formula."

The values I used are for the version with API SP and dexos1 Gen 3.

M1 EP 0W-20 SP/dexos1 Gen 3 is still OK to use. The HTFS viscosity decreased by 0.15 cP and VII content increased by 1.75% (hence a higher VI of 181), but that is not too drastic.

M1 AFE 0W-20 SP/dexos1 Gen 3 is more stout in terms of the base-oil (HTFS) viscosity, but you lose the extra antioxidant (AO) and possibly some extra detergent and dispersant.

For longer OCIs, definitely go with M1 EP instead of M1/M1 AFE.

What about Mobil 1 ESP?

Great Post ! For my Hyundai 2.4L GDI (non turbo) , the Valvoline Advanced 10W30 would be especially friendly to a GDI engine ; the Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 is also a good looking GDI oil (based on your table) if your winter temps allow . If I was concerned I might be seeing a fair amount of temps in the single digits - I might substitute 1 qrt. of same brand 5W30 in the oil sump .