Oil for 2022 Kona N - LSPI or wear?

I've been looking into what a good oil for my Kona N is.

The manual just specs 0w30 API SN+/SP or ILSAC GF-6 which pretty much anything meets.

I came from mazdaspeed3's a while ago, and it was pretty common to use a Dexos1gen2 (current at the time) oil for LSPI prevention. Then I got into boosted coyotes, and people liked A3/B4 oils. The argument was API SP had a degree of LSPI protection, but the shear and wear protection were much better with the A3/B4.

The only oil I see regularly in 0w30 is Mobil 1 AFE. The most recent UOA I saw was triple action. It had low calcium and sodium (typically a good thing regarding LSPI) and ok zinc. The cSt was 9.76 @ 100, which was higher than a lot of 5w30 analysis I poked through.

Valvoline Extended 5w30 looked decent in the UOA as well, calcium around 1500 (bit higher than desired) but moly at 300 and zinc at 940 (good showing). The cSt was 9. The shear on valvoline site was 3.2. I can't find that number for the 0w30 AFE. From memory, RP 5w30 UOA is pretty similar to that, but less moly.

So the AFE seems good since it's the mfgr weight and D1G3. The Valvoline looks good because of the zinc/moly and it's still D1G3

The car sees all kinds of uses. Spirited drives, random WOT pulls, some short trips. I live in the mountains of AZ so can see decently cold mornings (20*F isn't uncommon), and hot in the summer (up to 90 on the mountain, >100 when if in phx/tuscon/surrounding areas.

It does appear A3/B4 and Dexos 1 Gen 3 are mutually exclusive to each other. I don't know enough about the testing protocols to know if A3/B4 has any degree of LSPI prevention (says formulated for direct injection) or how API SP stacks up to D1G3 (I've read it doesn't, D1G3 is much more strict).

Thanks for any input

There are A3 oils that are API SP.
Mobil1 ESP 5W30 is SP, C3, MB229.52.
Also, LSPI issues around oils is exacerbated by the fact that ILSAC and API had limits on Zinc and phosphorus. Low ZDDP and high calcium. A3 oils have high ZDDP.
In Wal Mart you can get Castrol Edge 5W30 A3 that is SP.

Ok, so high zinc can offset the high calcium? Or calcium isn't really even the concern?
Calcium is not a concern per se in A3 oils as ZDDP is really high. It is a concern in ILSAC oils as ZDDP is on a lower side.
But, new A3 formulations have lower Calcium and the same ZDDP.
I would go Mobil1 ESP 5W30, Motul X-Clean 0W30 EFE, etc. Basically anything API SP and MB229.52.

Hey Mango I have a 2023 Kona N in Lunar white and I'm currently using Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30. I buy a 5 quart jug and a 1 quart bottle at Walmart for $41. I thought about buying Amsoil but I only drive my car about 5K miles a year (because I have my mom's genesis coupe to drive)

The only thing I would recommend is buying Amsoil SS 0W-40 because you live in AZ. Ask Hyundai corporate if running 0W-40 will void your warranty

Hyundai corporate will just tell you to contact your dealer for oil recommendations. They refuse to answer anything regarding oil specs. At the least you could use Mobil 1 Esp Ow30 for something more robust.

Hey Mango I have a 2023 Kona N in Lunar white and I'm currently using Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30. I buy a 5 quart jug and a 1 quart bottle at Walmart for $41. I thought about buying Amsoil but I only drive my car about 5K miles a year (because I have my mom's genesis coupe to drive)

The only thing I would recommend is buying Amsoil SS 0W-40 because you live in AZ. Ask Hyundai corporate if running 0W-40 will void your warranty
What 0W40 has to do with AZ?

If Hyundai is OK with a 40wt. I'd use QS 5w40 SP which is $22.97 at Walmart. A really good oil at a really good price. You don't need 0w in Arizona.

Mobil 1 0w30 AFE is API SP (unlike must of the ESP in stores) and just like in your car Alfa Romeo specifically specs a 0w30 API SP oil and many dealerships and owners use the AFE. The only LSPI damaged Alfa engine I saw was one running m1 esp actually....but that was also from 8 months ago or so.

oils2.jpg

Last edited:
Back