Military Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.
This scam has been around awhile on various forms of social media including dating sites. Locally we've had women fall for it to the tune of five figures. One woman sent a total of $60,000 over period of a year or so. Used to originate in Nigeria, but has expanded and suspects are anywhere but almost always outside CONUS.

Amazing that in this day and age of information, she didn't bother to check the flights.

Send money really? How about "I'll buy the ticket and let you know the details". These frauds must be pretty smooth, and their victims desperate....

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Women like that bad boy looking type of men so easy to scam them out of money.

Technically they are getting exactly what they wanted, a "bad boy" who does "bad" things (including, but not limited to ripping them off).
I see nothing wrong with what has transpired.
coffee2.gif

I just can't wrap my mind around these chicks that have a bum complex. They just go bonkers over some bum who won't work,is ugly as original sin,doesn't bathe,doesn't own a car,abuses them,etc. Do these chicks just have zero self esteem?

Originally Posted by double vanos
Question: will the tattoo fad/culture ever fade out like so many other things do? Just curious.

After nearly 30 years of continuous reveilance I say. No it's not going anywhere.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Question: will the tattoo fad/culture ever fade out like so many other things do? Just curious.

After nearly 30 years of continuous reveilance I say. No it's not going anywhere.

Tattoos have been relevant for centuries.

Agreed. I find tattoos on women quite attractive, as do many of the people I know.

So a single guy with a full time job in the military can't afford to buy his own plane ticket?

Alarm bells right there.

Last edited:
I find tattoos generally unattractive and undesirable, beyond something really small and readily hidden. Even then they're not for me. But that's my opinion; 30 years time will be the greatest determinant, especially on women.

But the tattoos aren't the main issue here, it's the gullibility or stupidity. What surprises me the most is that the woman was married. Maybe not happily so, but regardless, it just makes the case even more strange.

People are duped over all sorts of things. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess, but you do have to ask why these people don't ask more questions. To some extent I guess it really does sum up to the fact that roughly half of the population are below average...

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Women like that bad boy looking type of men so easy to scam them out of money.

Technically they are getting exactly what they wanted, a "bad boy" who does "bad" things (including, but not limited to ripping them off).
I see nothing wrong with what has transpired.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I find tattoos generally unattractive and undesirable, beyond something really small and readily hidden. Even then they're not for me. But that's my opinion; 30 years time will be the greatest determinant, especially on women.

But the tattoos aren't the main issue here, it's the gullibility or stupidity. What surprises me the most is that the woman was married. Maybe not happily so, but regardless, it just makes the case even more strange.

People are duped over all sorts of things. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess, but you do have to ask why these people don't ask more questions. To some extent I guess it really does sum up to the fact that roughly half of the population are below average...

bad boy, bad things
stupidity, married

Didnt the article say it was her 5th marriage.........

I have no sympathy for her. Not that it matters to her, she's dead, husband's dead.

I do have sympathy for the guy who has his identity stolen over and over for this crap.

Not to get off topic but...

Tattoos themselves aren't going anywhere.
The industry is always changing though, so that uber sick cool tribal (not the Polynesian, I'm talking crazy solid black angles) crab you got in 2000, that Limp Bizkit tattoo, or that uber sick butterfly lower back piece you got in 1995 is now slightly outdated

OTOH some tattoo styles stand the test of time. If you go into a shop and pick something off the wall, just remember, hundreds of people have done just that.

Avoid or seriously think about current pop culture tattoos, if it's something from your childhood, that's cool, its stayed with you all these years, have some thought into it.

I'm not going to say avoid names, just avoid putting them in places that make it a pain for an artist to cover up if it's ever needed. Countless times have I seen people come in for a coverup of a name on places like their face, fingers, neck. It makes it hard for the artist.

- You're Friendly Forum Tattoo Artist that loves motor oil

---

BACK to the original convo,
Being a veteran, I've seen privates that fall in love at first smell. I've also seen privates who cant afford a plane ticket because they spent all their money at adult clubs, tattoo studios, and the class 6.

On the flipside, I've seen women and men who are immediately attracted to men and women in uniform. I also know somebody who's pictures were used in a similar case. He was deployed, somehow someone got his photos and posed as him. Wasnt too long before he was arrested overseas (seriously) as he was linked to possible date rape cases. (Drugged victim + I was supposed to meet this guy on this dating site at a bar = it was him or something. Idk but it wasnt. )

Good news is, he was obviously innocent and had an alibi, he was in a warzone and not in the clubs date raping people. Also, DNA also didnt match, I wonder if they ever caught the culprit.

Last edited:
Saw a businesswoman today on the commute in, who was wearing a sleveless blouse/dress.
Against her fair complection, her upper arm looked like there was some ashy substance that looked "smeared".

Realized it was the remainder of a tattoo that's in the process of being removed (as they don't do it all at once).
The pain, $$$ and time for both adding a tattoo, then removing it is just astounding.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by SR5
So a single guy with a full time job in the military can't afford to buy his own plane ticket?

Alarm bells right there.

The ticket is affordable even to a E nothing for a single round trip fare.

Both of my daughters have them. The youngest has the better part of a sleeve.

My concerns is more about what will those tattoos look like in 30 years. Time is usually not good to tattoos.

They are not my cup of tea, but it's not for me to decide for another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back