Reuse of former military bases

My Coast Guard boot camp was at Tracen Alameda which is now a Coast Guard base for some of their larger ships. The TRACEN was consolidated with Tracen Cape May NJ. Looking at a map the NW end of the island has two
White buildings. Those were the barracks where about 700-800 recruits stayed.

During our boot camp we had one week at the Naval Base Treasure Island. The Navy had a firefighting/damage control school there as well as other stuff. We learned shipboard firefighting and actually trained with real fires in a concrete tower that had steel grates for floors much like a ships engine room. The trainers would light off a few hundred gallons of diesel with some gasoline to really get it started the closed the doors. When things were hot enough they would open the doors and we went in as trained trying to put the fire out with water. We were masked up and had breathing apparatus of course. It was all carefully monitored and scripted.

That place must have had a lot of pollution over the years.

My Coast Guard boot camp was at Tracen Alameda which is now a Coast Guard base for some of their larger ships. The TRACEN was consolidated with Tracen Cape May NJ. Looking at a map the NW end of the island has two

During our boot camp we had one week at the Naval Base Treasure Island. The Navy had a firefighting/damage control school there as well as other stuff. We learned shipboard firefighting and actually trained with real fires in a concrete tower that had steel grates for floors much like a ships engine room. The trainers would light off a few hundred gallons of diesel with some gasoline to really get it started the closed the doors. When things were hot enough they would open the doors and we went in as trained trying to put the fire out with water. We were masked up and had breathing apparatus of course. It was all carefully monitored and scripted.

Yeah - most locals call it "Coast Guard Island".

310418016_396939279306775_295984832270982391_n.jpg

They also did nuclear handling training at Treasure Island. Parts of it are still under US Navy control until it's cleaned up.

Several parcels of land on Treasure Island remain under federal ownership in order to allow completion of environmental remediation activities by the United States Navy. The Navy is legally required to complete all of its environmental remediation obligations, including radiological cleanup, prior to transferring these remaining parcels to the Treasure Island Development Authority (TIDA). The Navy’s environmental remediation program is separate from TIDA's Treasure Island Development Project.​

I was thinking to myself, most military bases are in place that are either too hot or too cold, too wet or to dry, and generally inhospitable to humans... so the few choice places might be nice, but the rest of them will eventually return to nature.. Slab City anyone.

Nonsense, 29 Palms, california is the best place to visit ;)

The introduction of atomic bombs and ICBMs made the concept of large military bases much less attractive, especially if they were located next to a city.

Last edited:
Chanute AFB is another abandoned base.
$200 million in cleanup so far, and they are not done.

Dover AFB is still active, and sitting on a vast underground lake of jet fuel…
Millions on gallons…
Chanute AFB was turned over to a city (Rantoul) that didn't have the infrastructure of financial means to sustain it. I lived in Gifford when it happened and the city barely could maintain itself. Was back there a couple years ago and it's a ghost town and in shambles. Rantoul grew and was sustained by the base and it's retirees.

Reactions: hrv
I suppose some of the most successful base reuses have been in the San Francisco Bay Area. I mentioned the Presidio of San Francisco, NAS Alameda, and Naval Station Treasure Island. However, even those have issues. In Alameda the city has been trying to get housing built but several contracts fell through. I'm kind of wondering about Treasure Island. They charge for parking, although I think residents can get monthly rates. Tolls (just to enter) are going to start in 2025 although I'd think residents don't need to pay. But they're trying to reduce private vehicles.

We have an Air Guard field near Madison where they have done many firefighting exercises over the years. Now some of the city's municipal wells are showing contamination with firefighting chemicals.

That said, the military isn't the only source of this contamination -- it's not uncommon in places where the chemicals have been used or manufactured.

North of Madison is the old Badger Army Ammunition Plant, another decommissioned site on the Superfund list. They made smokeless powder and solid fuel for rockets. The place was a health hazard when it was running -- a friend's dad died of lung cancer after working there for years. And of course there was the occasional explosion ...

The Army dumped chemicals and untreated wastewater into the nearby Wisconsin River for years. Stuff like mercury and lead.

Back