Reuse of former military bases

Had some interesting discussions on this in the aviation forum, but I was thinking of all the assorted uses. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and 35 years ago there must have been over a dozen active (non-reserve) military bases here, but I think it's down to just one.

The Presidio of San Francisco was the former HQ of the Sixth US Army. I'd been there many times when it was an active base as their philosophy was that the public should be able to visit and enjoy it. It pretty much had no entrance gate although there were signs everywhere stating that any vehicles or people were subject to involuntary search at any time. That was eventually turned over to the National Park Service, but with an interesting funding scheme where a trust was established to find ways to finance the place by reusing the buildings. There are all sorts of businesses there, as well as nonprofits. One prominent business is Sports Basement, which took over the former commissary building and kept a lot of its features. They also allowed a lot of new businesses, like the former site of the Letterman Hospital, which is now Lucasfilm headquarters. Lots of the housing was turned into rentals, although there are also some museums such as the Walt Disney Family Museum. There's a lot more there too. There was a fictional ice rink there in Pixar's Inside Out, although that didn't really exist.

The former Naval Air Station Alameda has been repurposed for several businesses, although the runways are still there although decommissioned. Mythbusters used to use the runways for various experiments. The old hangars have been reused. One turned into a big sports gym. Hangar One Vodka used to operate out of an old hangar there, although they've since moved out and make their liquor using a contract distiller. I recently had something from Almanac Beer, which operates out of an old building there.

That's just a couple of examples. Some of these have mostly turned into housing. Quite a few has serious remediation going on requiring cleanup of toxics. But I've heard a lot of the more popular places are base gyms that were turned into gyms, especially since they already had hardwood floors.

Look up the Navy Shipyard in Philly. Urban Outfitters has done a lot there with the old buildings. The Navy still has stuff on site, but what they have done with the old spaces is pretty awesome.

I was stationed at FT Meade, MD back in the day when the US Army decided to sell off the majority of it's acreage to developers. The post had been a large armored and even infantry training facility into the early 70's being close to Aberdeen Proving Grounds, the armored test-bed hub of the US military. It was a massive complex in WWII and was virtually adjoined with FT Belvoir, VA which was an engineering facility and had had large ranges for firing ordnance and training...

It soon turned into a giant Brown Field nightmare as most of the former training areas were home to both toxic waste and even unexploded ordnance. I guess tankers would literally change their oil by just letting it leak into the soil back in the day, among other things. There were also a lot of old barracks and office buildings chocked full of asbestos. They remediated it and I am sure still turned a profit with the real estate there. But a bit of a **** shame these historic military preserves are passed away..

Former George Air Force Base is a waste, abandoned housing and structures that could have been turned over for civilian use. :(

I think there is a Museaum for miliary history around the Presideo, A--- Moran of YouTube and World of Tanks fame runs it or did. He's also a full Colonel in the USANG IIRC...

I meant Nicolas Moran, not Anthony LOL Sorry Chieftan!....

Last edited:
Reactions: Pew
Chanute AFB is another abandoned base.
$200 million in cleanup so far, and they are not done.

Dover AFB is still active, and sitting on a vast underground lake of jet fuel…
Millions on gallons…

Reactions: Pew
The only reuse at our local former (pease) AFB is runways , some hangars for Air National Guard tanker wing 15 KC-46. It also has 1-2 airlines come in Allegiant and also hesvy
Cargo (those massive Antonov Ukrainian planes).

They used base of roads of course and some parking lots to build industrial and office parks.

The soil, ground water and buildings otherwise are contamination sites.

Unfortunately most military air bases are Superfund sites with the soil and water contaminated.

Dover AFB is still active, and sitting on a vast underground lake of jet fuel…
Millions on gallons…
Did someone say Chanute?

mgyw.jpg

1mnu.jpg

19us.jpg

ypmy.jpg

Ahhh... yes. Chanute. Superfund site.

A good example of what shouldn't be done.

Having 4 landfills with decades of little/no oversight or accountability of what was buried in it... around a lake. What could possibly go wrong? Don't eat the fish... LOL. Supposedly, there could be several 55 gallon barrels of 2-4-D or 2-4-5-T buried in one of the landfills.. rusting away. They can't prove beyond a doubt that they're there, but they can't prove that they're not there. Several who were there have told what they saw. Who knows what all was buried.

Dozens of concrete reinforced buildings that were used to test jet engines all the way to failure... so contaminated that they've fenced off and unused, 30 years later. Imagine what it will take to tear those down. They're literally built like bomb shelters and are toxic.

Much of the land and many of the buildings were sold well below market value to new owners who did not have the financial means to properly maintain much of it the long run. Now, many are abandoned and falling down.

Much of the base housing is now sub-standard, much of it originally bought by investors and rented out. Home values are low. Not surprisingly, crime is a bit of a problem.

The base hospital was never fully re-utilized and has sat empty for 20+ years. Falling down. A few years back, the city had to come in and pump several feet of water out of the basement. It is constantly for sale for back taxes. No one wants it, and for good reason. The city should make the Air Force come back in, and tear it down.

Tear it down the same way that White Hall had to be torn down by the Air Force. The largest government building until the Pentagon was built. One out-of-state 'investor' owner after another...all with big dreams, but without the necessary financial means to manage/renovate such a goliath. Same problems. Basement filled with water, holes in the roof, vandalism, asbestos, mold, lead based paint.

The pictures posted by PF52 are of White Hall, which was finally demolished in 2015-2016.
+2

My pics are from 2011-2012. I'm pretty sure it's just a vacant lot now.

There is (or was?) a video on Youtube of that building from back in 1989. It was immaculate inside, like it was clean enough to eat off the floor. A shame it was left to rot.

Hunters point Naval shipyard in San Francisco was an incredible place they would repair ships there and when in high school in 1969 the machine shop class I took went on a field trip there.

Had some interesting discussions on this in the aviation forum, but I was thinking of all the assorted uses. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and 35 years ago there must have been over a dozen active (non-reserve) military bases here, but I think it's down to just one.

The Presidio of San Francisco was the former HQ of the Sixth US Army. I'd been there many times when it was an active base as their philosophy was that the public should be able to visit and enjoy it. It pretty much had no entrance gate although there were signs everywhere stating that any vehicles or people were subject to involuntary search at any time. That was eventually turned over to the National Park Service, but with an interesting funding scheme where a trust was established to find ways to finance the place by reusing the buildings. There are all sorts of businesses there, as well as nonprofits. One prominent business is Sports Basement, which took over the former commissary building and kept a lot of its features. They also allowed a lot of new businesses, like the former site of the Letterman Hospital, which is now Lucasfilm headquarters. Lots of the housing was turned into rentals, although there are also some museums such as the Walt Disney Family Museum. There's a lot more there too. There was a fictional ice rink there in Pixar's Inside Out, although that didn't really exist.

The former Naval Air Station Alameda has been repurposed for several businesses, although the runways are still there although decommissioned. Mythbusters used to use the runways for various experiments. The old hangars have been reused. One turned into a big sports gym. Hangar One Vodka used to operate out of an old hangar there, although they've since moved out and make their liquor using a contract distiller. I recently had something from Almanac Beer, which operates out of an old building there.

That's just a couple of examples. Some of these have mostly turned into housing. Quite a few has serious remediation going on requiring cleanup of toxics. But I've heard a lot of the more popular places are base gyms that were turned into gyms, especially since they already had hardwood floors.
There are also over 1,000 housing units in two dozen neighborhoods in the former Presido.

Majority of contamination was because they had bright idea dousing planes in jet fuel to practice firefighting. Apparently 95% of it went into into the ground and has stuck around at Pease.

Did someone say Chanute?

mgyw.jpg

1mnu.jpg

19us.jpg

ypmy.jpg
I went to Chanute in 1973 for weather observing school and again in 1976 for Weather Forecaster school...You will find that many military basses after they close are loaded with hazmet stuff all over the base and the cost of cleanup is very very high...

Back