Golden Gate Fields racetrack to close at the end of the 2023 horse racing season

I grew up in the area and it was always a landmark in the area. Took the family there once on dollar day (dollar admission, parking, hot dogs, and beer) and it was fun for a few hours.

So that's the end of year round horse racing in the San Francisco Bay Area. There used to be three major racetracks (Bay Meadows, Golden Gate Fields, Tanforan Race Track) open in the 60s. There's still horse betting at the Alameda County Fairgrounds, although I'm not sure if there's any other track left (I think the Solano County Fairgrounds track in Vallejo is gone. Yeah that's gone, but there's still betting on site.

It's an unfortunate element of modern life.

Drag racing is getting hit hard too.

After the 2023 season, Bandimere Speedway will be closing after 65 years in operation. From what I've heard and seen in picture and video, it's one of the nicest tracks in the country with a great ownership group (The Bandimere Family).

How do you argue against the urban sprawl and the amount of money they likely got from the deal. With the houses encroaching on the track, it was only a matter of time before they were in an Englishtown Raceway Park situation where the residents and town were fighting them regularly over the noise.

There's already talk of buying a piece of property that is bigger and build a new facility in 2025.

My regret is never getting there. My wife and I kicked around my flying out there Saturday morning for the final NHRA race and then flying home Sunday. Lot of expense for a 24 hour period though.

For all of these places that you think will be there forever and think I'll get there one day, make "one day" be this month or this year. Make it happen because next year isn't guaranteed.

I’m not surprised. You can build a lot of houses on that space, and it would be way more profitable.

I don't see it be used for housing. I can't see Albany or Berkeley allowing it to be zoned for housing - especially right on the border with Eastshore State Park. There isn't any housing along the waterfront between Emeryville and Point Richmond. In Emeryville it was all built on reclaimed land that wouldn't be built today.

Not sure what it might be turned into. And the seller isn't likely to give up the racing dates that would be needed for a new operator.

It's an unfortunate element of modern life.

Drag racing is getting hit hard too.

After the 2023 season, Bandimere Speedway will be closing after 65 years in operation. From what I've heard and seen in picture and video, it's one of the nicest tracks in the country with a great ownership group (The Bandimere Family).

How do you argue against the urban sprawl and the amount of money they likely got from the deal. With the houses encroaching on the track, it was only a matter of time before they were in an Englishtown Raceway Park situation where the residents and town were fighting them regularly over the noise.

There's already talk of buying a piece of property that is bigger and build a new facility in 2025.

My regret is never getting there. My wife and I kicked around my flying out there Saturday morning for the final NHRA race and then flying home Sunday. Lot of expense for a 24 hour period though.

For all of these places that you think will be there forever and think I'll get there one day, make "one day" be this month or this year. Make it happen because next year isn't guaranteed.

There were a few in the Bay Area that are gone now. Altamont. Baylands.

The owners requested another season and were granted it by the California Horse Racing Board. Previously they were planning on transferring the racing dates to their tracks in Southern California. Sounds like they were pressured to delay the closing.

DocumentRequestor2.aspx

The Tanforan Race track in San Bruno burned down in the 1960s and I remember that I could see the smoke from my parents house. Then the San Mateo fair grounds race track was closed . Closing Golden Gate fields is the end ! Some things just aren't important like they used to be.

The Tanforan Race track in San Bruno burned down in the 1960s and I remember that I could see the smoke from my parents house. Then the San Mateo fair grounds race track was closed . Closing Golden Gate fields is the end ! Some things just aren't important like they used to be.

Tanforan burned down after it was already closed and slated for demolition.

The San Mateo fairgrounds were next to Bay Meadows, which was a year round track. They did use it during the fair racing season though.

Solano County removed its fairgrounds race track a few years ago, but they still have offsite betting. The only Bay Area track left after GGF closes will be at the Alameda County Fairgrounds.

Back