Contacting the former car owner, or contacted by a new owner of your car

I sold a car to a guy and a week or two after the sale he told me his mechanic said it needed CV joints on both sides and wanted me to cover the cost. I declined and he grumbled. I did not think it was reasonable and a bit of a scam as CV joints don't wear out at the same time on both sides of the vehicle.
so important these days to write "as-is, where-is" on any rcpt these days. dimwits think they can go you for stuff like that on aprivate sale and with so many bored lawyers lurking around doing shomky campaigns it's no wonder ppl get greedy like this guy you sold to.

It is amazing the stuff you find in a second-hand car when you start cleaning it out thoroughly. I have twice contacted PO's to ask them if they want their wife's watch back, or something similar, like house keys that i found once. These were past POs, not the guy i bought it off. they were amazed and grateful. One time I called up a mechanics number under the bonnet and he gave my number to the PO who then called me up and we got on great and I found out the info I wanted. I even sent the bloke $500 cos he got ripped off after it broke down and he sold it to the mechanic interstate where it broke down. He was happy to then send me more spare keys and the vehicle's history.
No harm if you approach respectfully. If they then treat you badly, the sin is on them IMHO.
But funny yeah, with new technology and ppl leaving their address in the satnav LOL - they cannot complain at all if you drive up and ask for a beer!

so important these days to write "as-is, where-is" on any rcpt these days. dimwits think they can go you for stuff like that on aprivate sale and with so many bored lawyers lurking around doing shomky campaigns it's no wonder ppl get greedy like this guy you sold to.
I am married to retired NY Asst Attorney General. So I have in-house counsel.

It is amazing the stuff you find in a second-hand car when you start cleaning it out thoroughly. I have twice contacted PO's to ask them if they want their wife's watch back, or something similar, like house keys that i found once. These were past POs, not the guy i bought it off. they were amazed and grateful. One time I called up a mechanics number under the bonnet and he gave my number to the PO who then called me up and we got on great and I found out the info I wanted. I even sent the bloke $500 cos he got ripped off after it broke down and he sold it to the mechanic interstate where it broke down. He was happy to then send me more spare keys and the vehicle's history.
No harm if you approach respectfully. If they then treat you badly, the sin is on them IMHO.
But funny yeah, with new technology and ppl leaving their address in the satnav LOL - they cannot complain at all if you drive up and ask for a beer!
When I replaced the cup holder of my used car (2006 in 2016), I found some blonde hairs (long) and also a card from a fancy Italian restaurant in Orlando FL and drink stirring sticks. Replaced with OE Lexus and it broke again last year but the price has skyrocketed. Poor design, managed to get an OE brand new wrong color for $118 shipped from Japan. Would swap the trim piece but I figure it’s only gonna break again so waiting until it breaks altogether (arm can be reinserted but weak spring action)

I've done it on a used vehicle i had. Found the name/info of the previous owner in the glove box on a receipt. Dug around and got in touch. Just had a few service questions. I'd have no issue if someone contacted me in that way.

I bought a Honda Fit and the P.O. had been an old lady.... I saw her name on the old title and again in the warranty book in the glove compartment. She would've been 77 at the time she traded in the car. I didn't contact her though. I don't know her story; who knows, maybe her family took her keys away and sold the car because she was getting feeble in the head? Anything is possible. I did look at her house on Street View though. The car must've been in the garage.

I bought a Honda Fit and the P.O. had been an old lady.... I saw her name on the old title and again in the warranty book in the glove compartment. She would've been 77 at the time she traded in the car. I didn't contact her though. I don't know her story; who knows, maybe her family took her keys away and sold the car because she was getting feeble in the head? Anything is possible. I did look at her house on Street View though. The car must've been in the garage.
I would hope a person can still drive at 77. I mean every time I see an exotic car downtown the driver tends to be male and maybe 80+

I would hope a person can still drive at 77. I mean every time I see an exotic car downtown the driver tends to be male and maybe 80+
I would hope so too, but not everyone does. My mom didn't drive much longer than that but she had a stroke and eventually wound up in a facility where everyone had either Dementia or Alzheimer's disease. The saddest cases there were the ones who relatively young, like under 60.

Another thought. I always disclose faults I know about, and have an "AS IS" contract. A purchaser can have an inspection done and determine if the vehicle I am selling is for him.

I guess most of my stuff is priced right, maintained well and so far, I've had no complaints with the vehicles I've sold. There have been quite a few too.

I had one guy who liked the motorcycle I sold him so much, ask me to help him out with his other cars and motorcycles. To get them in similar condition. He was very happy.

Another thought. I always disclose faults I know about, and have an "AS IS" contract. A purchaser can have an inspection done and determine if the vehicle I am selling is for him.

I guess most of my stuff is priced right, maintained well and so far, I've had no complaints with the vehicles I've sold. There have been quite a few too.

I had one guy who liked the motorcycle I sold him so much, ask me to help him out with his other cars and motorcycles. To get them in similar condition. He was very happy.
Imagine selling a 10+ yo BMW M and not saying “as-is” 😂

My cousin refused to sell me his E36 M3 which he let go for $2800 when it was 12 yo. He said it needs a multiple of that to fix it up and really suitable for a total diy’er

I bought a high mileage car (my old ‘97 Legacy GT - RIP) from a mechanic who did a very good job with the car. He was polite and explained the little issues. He even let me keep his tags on while I transferred mine, so I didn’t have to get T tags.

It was odd then that he got so annoyed with me when I tried multiple times (not all in the same day) to contact him about HIS tags. We hadn’t previously discussed where to drop them off. He sent me a nasty text, so I simply put them on his porch and never contacted him again.

//

I agree with others who would be helpful if the new owner was pleasant and not demanding or confrontational. Seems pretty fair. I would also prefer email. I’d give them my junk email. This way they can’t ”forget” what I said and bug me again.

Now, a second call might also be OK, but I would likely ask them not to keep calling me- email me. I‘ll respond to as many emails as they want if I‘m able to. I’ll block you if you call about nonsense (how old are these tires-type questions) or call too many times asking me to please call back ASAP!

Understood. But when you buy a used vehicle don’t expect everything to be in excellent condition.

I don’t see Donald doing anything wrong.
You gotta stop watching Donald, he's starting to get a bit paranoid :)

If The Don knew that the CV joints were making noise he should have informed the buyer. It's just good manners. We don't know that fact. Maybe the mechanic is the devious one - as far as we all know - from afar at our respective keyboards.

I had to replace a CV on the wife's Crosstrek** at a high expense - they make plenty of noise in turns when worn. I will state it's something a savvy customer should investigate and test when buying a used car but not everyone is mechanically inclined or informed.

Last edited:
You've learned a lesson. Always ask about keys, remotes, etc. before negotiating.

I always advertise that I have "all three keys and they work like they are supposed to".

I also advertise about all maintenance being done, etc.

I usually sell a car within 8 hours...

You've learned a lesson. Always ask about keys, remotes, etc. before negotiating.

I always advertise that I have "all three keys and they work like they are supposed to".

I also advertise about all maintenance being done, etc.

I usually sell a car within 8 hours...
Cash for cars came for my 98 Maxima SE. It was a little messed up as they came with a wrecker that leaked fluid on the driveway as opposed to a flatbed. Once the truck was gone I reached into my pocket and found the key and fob for the car. Never heard from them again….

In some states it is actually illegal to contact the former owner of a used vehicle. In many states it is illegal for a dealer to provide the name or any other information about a former owner.

They changed the law here, maybe in the '80s, mandating the name and address be available to the new owner, so those of you alleging this is creepy are jumping to conclusions and are cynical.

k Important Information: Prior Titled Owner's Name And Address Is Available From The Dealer Upon Request. Maine law requires the dealer to promptly disclose upon request of any person the name and address of the previous owner of the motor vehicle. The prior owner's name and address as given on the title are public record and disclosure does not violate privacy laws.

A guy I knew purchased a used Mustang with the intention of restoring it. After getting into it he found much more wrong than he anticipated. He became irrational over it and told me he was going to do physical damage to the person that sold it to him.
Eventually he killed himself.
So you never know what you could be dealing with. Be careful out there and use good judgement.

I traded my Mercedes ML320 back in 2009, and one Saturday afternoon, the dealer called me. Asked if a prospective buyer could ask me about it. I’d never had that happen before but I agreed.

Nice people. Buying it for their kid going to college. I told them the good and the bad. Full disclosure they appreciated, but I’m sure that dealer did not 😁.

They must have bought it anyway since it vanished from their site that Monday.

Back