Bestline oil additive

I had a previous thread on this stuff, I cannot find it so heres a brief synopsis:

A friend bought an 08 Tacoma with a 1GR engine from a private party. It had 300k miles on it and a nasty ticking on the right cylinder head. Looking through the prior owners maintenance records it had been going on for at least 75,000 miles. A dealer told him he needed a long block.
I told him to just run it and when it failed we’d find him a good used one. It ran great, just sounded terrible. He bought a can of Bestline and I was skeptical (to the point where I lovingly berated him with mockery). He did an oil change and added a bottle, drove it and a half hour later the engine was silent. The 1GR isn’t known to be a really quiet engine but this thing sounded amazing. I was stunned and humbled. It stiil is purring 6000 miles later.

Fast forward to last week. One of my customers with an early Hyundai Accent comes in for a squealing PS belt…..there’s been a noisy tappet for a long time in that motor.
I had a half full bottle of Bestline on the shelf, my co-worker poured it into the motor while it was running (no oil change, he just poured it in). I let the engine run for 15 minutes (I usually will run a new V belt for a bit then recheck the tension). During this time, the ticking slowly disappeared. We were both in disbelief. I never said anything to my customer, just gave him the car back. He shows up yesterday and asked what we did because the engine sounds so good, so I told him about the additive. He’s thrilled because he loves the car.

My conclusion: If you have a noisy tappet/lifter, try this stuff. What ever detergent this stuff has is amazing. Never in my life have I fixed an engine noise by pouring in an additive…..and this stuff worked twice on noisy tappets. A half a bottle quieted down the Hyundai with dirty oil in it!

Reactions: wlk
A few of the existing threads, perhaps yours is in there? Have you had previous user names?

Excited threads about this type of additive typically have a short life. Perhaps yours was deleted.

Was it this stuff? I also never had any pour in stuff do anything worthwhile, so I don't use any of the stuff.
I take that back, when I use up leftover jug dregs as a top -off they seem to add a bit of smoothness and pep.

A few of the existing threads, perhaps yours is in there? Have you had previous user names?

Excited threads about this type of additive typically have a short life. Perhaps yours was deleted.

It may have been deleted?
Was it this stuff? I also never had any pour in stuff do anything worthwhile, so I don't use any of the stuff.
I take that back, when I use up leftover jug dregs as a top -off they seem to add a bit of smoothness and pep.

I don’t know what it is, someone on my last thread had posted something about esters and cleaning agents. Again, it’s the first additive I’ve ever used that actually did something measurable both times I used it.

It may have been deleted?

I don’t know what it is, someone on my last thread had posted something about esters and cleaning agents. Again, it’s the first additive I’ve ever used that actually did something measurable both times I used it.
I believe you.

I added it to my 2004 Ford Expedition, 5.4L 2v engine to fix what I believe had cold start-up noise from the chain tensioner. The noise disappeared after a day of driving and hasn't returned in the last 4-5 months, ~1500 miles. Other additives didn't work, but this one did and will get some again if it returns.

Back