Mazda's new propriety 0W-20 GF-5 with Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asharris7
Okay, I will fill it up and ship it out to them. This is my first analysis so ....any tips for directions on how to do this? Shipping, written notes? Any special things I need to know basically.

I have a Blackstone kit FYI

Sorry, The instruction Booklet was NOT in the kit. I had to look it up online. Ok, It is packed up and ready to be mailed tomorrow. I did not get TBN but I did ask to do the KV40. I included my email so they can email the results to me. I'll let you guys know the results soon enough!

asharris7, thanks for doing this.
Looking forward to seeing the results.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Okay, I will fill it up and ship it out to them. This is my first analysis so ....any tips for directions on how to do this? Shipping, written notes? Any special things I need to know basically.

I have a Blackstone kit FYI

Sorry, The instruction Booklet was NOT in the kit. I had to look it up online. Ok, It is packed up and ready to be mailed tomorrow. I did not get TBN but I did ask to do the KV40. I included my email so they can email the results to me. I'll let you guys know the results soon enough!

asharris7, thanks for doing this.
Looking forward to seeing the results.

No problem! Everyone can mail me a quart of this oil if it comes back worthwhile
smile.gif
kidding

Aaron: This is a Sample of Virgin Mazda ow/20. The additive package is pretty standard stuff, but there was a lot of Moly present. That's not a problem by any means, just something interesting to note. The viscosity at 40c is 35.852.

ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 0
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 664
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 266
SILICON 6
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 2318
MAGNESIUM 18
PHOSPHORUS 732
ZINC 842
BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 430
SUS VIS 210ºF 53.6
cSt @ 100ºF 8.37

Wow, who makes this stuff? Just blending in a single quart would boost your moly over 100ppm.

EDIT: Idemitsu? Who are they???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wow, who makes this stuff? Just blending in a single quart would boost your moly over 100ppm.

EDIT: Idemitsu? Who are they???

They are a Japanese maker of oil. Usually supplied as OEM to Honda(can), Subaru, and Mazda.

Caterham, isn't this the first GF-5 oil from ILA we've seen with the levels of moly similar to the SM TGMO? If those high levels can be maintained and still meet GF-5, I wonder why Toyota moved away from this very attractive looking formulation?

The Mobil made SM TGMO 0W-20 still used the Adeka Sakura-Lube of Japan supplied moly that Nippon Oil used in the original TGMO.
The SN TGMO 0W-20 is a 100% Mobil made product. The current thinking is that lower moly level of the SN formulation is the tri-nuclear moly type which apparently is as effective as the higher organic moly doses used in the SM oil. Whether that is true or not or simply a case of reducing the moly level to meet the increased deposit control spec's of GF-5 I don't know. Obviously Toyota is okay with the revised formulation.

^ +1

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Moly used at levels above 500ppm also acts as an AO. I believe I read that on here. It's also a different form of moly.

MoDTC contains sulfur.
Quote:
It's well known in the industry that many sulfur containing compounds (not just MoDTC) can cause issues with "yellow metal" corrosion. MoDTC or similar compunds have been shown to cause this issue in poorly formulated lubricants, but it is fairly easy to "fix" the formulation with well known additives so the corrosion is not a problem even up to high treat rates of MoDTC (well over 1000ppm of Moly).

As Valvman stated, the problems of high moly can be overcome with other additives.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
With the latest oils, anytime you see a Mobil made oil, would the moly be the tri-nuclear new version (even in products like Mobil 1 0w40)?

Nobody really knows for sure if Mobil is tri-nuclear or not.

Originally Posted By: buster
^ +1

Moly used at levels above 500ppm also acts as an AO. I believe I read that on here. It's also a different form of moly.

MoDTC contains sulfur.
Quote:
It's well known in the industry that many sulfur containing compounds (not just MoDTC) can cause issues with "yellow metal" corrosion. MoDTC or similar compunds have been shown to cause this issue in poorly formulated lubricants, but it is fairly easy to "fix" the formulation with well known additives so the corrosion is not a problem even up to high treat rates of MoDTC (well over 1000ppm of Moly).

As Valvman stated, the problems of high moly can be overcome with other additives.

But which ones, boron? Calcium?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: buster
^ +1

MoDTC contains sulfur.
Quote:

But which ones, boron? Calcium?

Probably both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back