Mazda's new propriety 0W-20 GF-5 with Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
those of you who use Mazdas 0-20 fluid , how quiet and smooth is your engine running on it , is the fact that it is so thin and light making your engine louder and noiser than other thicker oils ?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Mazda (or rather you Mazda dealer) is not "insisting" that you change the oil at 6 months, they are recommending.
It's your car (assuming it's not leased) and you can change the oil whenever you want.
On BITOG we run across this type of oil use issue all the time with many manufacturers. It really comes down to common sense.
If you're still uncomfortable exceeding the 6 month time period then use the cheapest 0W-20 oil you can find; every oil company makes the grade now so there is plenty of choice.

This is my first Mazda and I'm not impressed with their customer service. A call to corporate CS about why 6 month intervals got a callback from them saying the 6 month interval was because oil "clumps up" after that, even if I had only driven 2000 miles. Insane! They also insisted that not doing it would void my warranty.

Now the funny part. How many weeks in a Mazda year? Answer: 82. They sent me an email about mymazda.com, which is a real Mazda site. I signed up, put in my car info and my current mileage and how many miles a week I drive. It came back saying that my next scheduled maintenance would be due in about 41 weeks, That, plus telling me it has to be done every six months means that Mazda thinks there are 41 weeks in six months.

I hope the actual support for the car is far better than their logic.

Originally Posted By: M6ser
caterham , would PP 0-20 be a nice (thin) alternative to Mazda's super FE 0-20 formula ?
What would be most FE synthetic 0-20 on the market at this time ?

No PP 0W-20 with it's low 164 VI (for a 0W-20 grade) would not be a good alternative although better than a 5W-20 dino.

Probably the most fuel efficient 0W-20 is Sustina followed by Mazda, TGMO then SynGard.
Next would be Honda and Royal Purple.
If these 0W-20s are still too pricey then just choose the cheapest of all the other 0W-20s available. Virtually every oil formulator now offers the grade.

Why not just go with the Castrol Mazda recommends or another easily accessible oil that meets the specs for your vehicle? You aren't going to gain anything but expense and possibly hassle with having to order oil.

thank you !

where can sustina be bought ? what is the price ? other than FE how sustina match vs. Mazda 0-20?

Sustina is expensive listing at $11.99/qt.
IMO it's only marginally better than MGMO or TGMO for that matter.

so we can say that at 6-8usd per quart Mazda 0-20 may present best value on the market

thks again it really helped me to lean toward 0-20 in 2014 mazda 6 and stick with 5-20 PU in my CX9 ....

so we can say that at 6-8usd per quart Mazda 0-20 may present best value on the market.

Yes, out of the 0W-20s at least.

I personally feel that it is a MUCH better 'bargain' than the TGMO, at least here in the states, below the northern border, since we just CANNOT get the (slightly inferior) TGMO at the prices the Canucks are offered.

The Sustina is VERY VERY hard to find/get, outside of mail order/net.
Some have stated that their local NAPA will order it in for them, but this is WILDLY variable, and depends on whether or not it is a chain owned, or independent NAPA, and even that is not a factor all of the time.

I have been told that eventually ALL NAPAs will be able to get the Sustina products, since they all can now order (or have on the shelf) the parent company Eneos oils/products, but they sure are taking their sweet old time about it.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back