Can Someone Interpret These Oil Specifications For Me ?

I asked this question a couple of weeks ago in the Euro Moto Oil Section but didn't get a response. It appears that Castrol no longer has available their specially formulated for Jaguar/Land Rover Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 oil. When I had my Jag in for service they used Castrol Edge Professional LL IV FE 0W-20. It no longer carries the notation on the back label that it meets the Jaguar/Land Rover STJLR.03.5006 (ACEA C5) standard, but , curiously it says it meets VW's 508 00 specification.

Here is what the data sheet shows on that oil:

Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 is suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines where the
manufacturer recommends an ACEA C5 0W-20 lubricant.
Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 is approved for use in vehicles that require a VW 508 00 / 509 00
specification 0W-20 lubricant.
Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 is approved for use in Porsche vehicles that require a Porsche C20
specification 0W-20 lubricant.

I compared these specifications from the EC5 data sheet and the new LL IV FE data sheet:

Castrol EDGE Professional E C5 0W-20 (previously used for oil changes)
Density @ 15°C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.8441
Viscosity, Kinematic 100°C ASTM D445 mm²/s 7.7
Viscosity, CCS -35°C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5450
Viscosity, Kinematic 40°C ASTM D445 mm²/s 34
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 203
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -50
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 202
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 0.8

Castrol EDGE Profesional LL IV FE 0W-20 (Used by my dealer for the recent change)
Density @ 15C, Relative DIN 51757 g/ml 0.84
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C DIN 51562 mm²/s 8.0
Viscosity, CCS -35C (0W) DIN 51377 mPa.s (cP) 4100
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C DIN 51562 mm²/s 43
Viscosity Index DIN ISO 2909 None 165
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -48
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 196
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 0.76

I don't really know how to interpret the specs as most of the LL IV FE 0W-20 specs are in DIN ratings. Can someone tell me if one formula is better than the other or if the differences are so miniscule that it doesn't matter ?
Thank you

The E C5 appears to be an older product blended for LR. Mobil 1 did something similar with Mercedes via 5w40 Formula M. Motul did the same with a BMW LL04 oil as well.

I don't know anything about LR specifications or what they test for.

That's a good suggestion on the Fuchs Titan GT1 Flex 0W 20 oil. However, I have three years remaining on my warranty which includes free annual oil & filter changes at the dealership.

I'm sure the VW spec oil that the dealer used for my recent change is good stuff, I was just curious if someone who was knowledgeable in interpreting the DIN specifications had an opinion regarding if there were meaningful differences in that oil vs. the EC5 formula.

Other than significant but not impactful increase of kv40 , ther is a significant lowering (400ppm) of SA which means some traditional additisation has been reduced or a component eliminated. Not they may have been replace by compounds without a metallic component.
I would not have many reservations running this lubricant, though note that the timing drive in the VAG under 2 litre motors is a belt not a chain. I don't know if the package reflects that, as I don't not know specifics the Porsche diesel engine design - as does it employ a linkbelt or chain cam timing.
Is the Jag a dry timing sytem or wet? - Ken

... have three years remaining on my warranty which includes free annual oil & filter changes at the dealership....
Let the dealership do it's thing and chill.
You will not find a significant difference in performance between two oils of the spec that are approved by the OEM.

there is likely NO need for ANY xxW20 oil in CAL unless you are very north + high up, so a good to better fake synthetic 5-10 W30 would prolly be better!!

Back