Suggestions for a slightly different oil?

Over time, I have read many posts from people that say the manufacturer oil recommendation for a given vehicle may vary, depending on where the vehicle was sold. In my case, I have a 2019 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.5L V6 motor, and MY manual says to use 0W-20. I decided to contact Toyota directly and ask what alternate oil recommendations they might suggest for this truck in different countries and/or climates.

The woman I spoke to in Toyota support only had information for my Tacoma as if it was manufactured in Mexico (https://www.toyota.mx/). I went to this website and downloaded the manual for my year of Tacoma, and the oil recommendations are much broader. I have attached a screenshot of the manual page, but it seems this truck can run 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30 , and even 15W-40.

I have a little more than 12K miles on my truck, and I don't drive the vehicle hard at all. I currently run Mobil 1 0W-20 ESP, and the Product Data Sheet can be found here: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...ts/mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20#lightbox-pdsdatasheet . Since Toyota says that I can even run 15W-40, I think I'd like to run a slightly thicker oil for the long term in my truck, but not that heavy. Since I am partial to both Mobil 1 and/or Castrol oils, I'm thinking of trying either Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 (https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-5w-30) or Castrol EDGE 0W-30 LL. I have chosen these two oils because their approvals for both oils are almost identical (i.w. ACEA C3, BMW Longlife-04, MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51, Porsche C30, VW 504 00/ 507 00, Suitable for use in the following specifications: MB 229.52.).

Which one of these oils would you suggest? Do you think one has an edge on the other, or is it pretty much a toss-up?

Thank you for your feedback.

Ed

Tacoma_manual.jpg

Search for 2GR-FKS and recommended oil and you will find the same information that you found. Good luck in your decision.

If you really want mobil or castrol i'd just get m1 0w-40 or castrol edge euro 5w-30 which looks pretty good.

M1 0w-40 is tasty, and will go in our 2GR-FE until the day they turn it into beer cans.

Not that a 2GR really cares what is in it...as evidenced by the mexico manual. Responsible OCI governs.

If you really want mobil or castrol i'd just get m1 0w-40 or castrol edge euro 5w-30 which looks pretty good.

Thank you!

Ed

It's a Toyota, it doesn't care. ANY 5w30 would be fine, and in my opinion, better than ANY 5w-20 where you live.
Look at my sig and see what I'm using in my 4Runner.

I need to find my bingo card with "owner's manual" and "they use XYZ grade in other countries" and "0W40"....I may win here, this thread is a gold mine.

5w30 SP D1G3. In the $30 five quart jug range, I'd run (GTLs) Mobil-1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum every 5k.
Walmart.com gets you delivery to your door free, on any $35 minimum purchase.

Doing so puts you on that 250k odometer trail. The two vehicles we bought puts me on a unknown, possible 80k trail.
We may be stalled out on a highway near you and see you pass us by. Your engine having another 170k to go.
I'll be the old guy in cargo shorts on the shoulder of the road, sitting on the hood of our Hyunkia.

Last edited:
Back