Mazda No. 1 in Consumer Reports 2020 auto reliability survey

Am I the only one here that doesn't like Mazda?

I didn’t pay much attention to them in the years past. I wasn’t a rotary engine fan and they were mostly Ford at that time. When it came time for a new vehicle around 2016, I read their story and saw what they had to offer. The CX5 made my short list after that.

What doncha like? Because I'm nosey... Ha!
Again, owners I have talked to love 'em.
My mom had a '12 Mazda6 and it rang cheap throughout. Ton of jank in the infotainment. 180hp was inadequate.

My pops works at a Mazda dealer and I haven't much cared for anything he has brought home.

People like them and that's fine but I just don't get the hype.

My 2014 Mazda3 2.5 did so many things right but also had serious shortcomings. IMO that was a transition vehicle. The engine/transmission/ride/style were great. The infotainment sucked, the road noise was horrendous and there was a cheapness to the way the doors closed and I remember every time I leaned on a fender the metal wanted to collapse.

My hope is they've gotten better...always rooting for Mazda.

my M6 4 years back, joy to own and drive

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpeg
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 21
Cutting the pedal sounds like a hack job. I thought they did something with the hinge?
Thats what they did and it was the solution. It wasn't a hinge or arm problem. The real problem was drivers and not hooking the mats in or putting another mat over the original. These are not mechanical throttle pedals. Even 18 year old Camrys have throttle by wire not a linkage. The hinged to the floor pedals were worse for floor mat piling on them and making the engine race. I still remember yanking the mat back many a time. The Toyotas use mats that fasten up near the seat so they can’t move forward.

I loved my 2007 MS3; it needed some kinks worked out under warranty but I ended up keeping it for over 8 years and 158k.
I wish that Mazdaspeed versions of the 3, 6, and MX-5 were still offered; I’d likely have one in my garage.

My wife and I looked heavily at a CX-5 during our recent quest for her new vehicle.
We both noted that the interiors LOOKED great, but just weren’t as comfortable as some of the competition.

We ended up deciding on a Subaru Outback for what its worth.

We did compare the CX9/Ascent/highlander and didn’t like ANY of the 7 seat options by ANY manufacturer.

My mom had a '12 Mazda6 and it rang cheap throughout. Ton of jank in the infotainment. 180hp was inadequate.

My pops works at a Mazda dealer and I haven't much cared for anything he has brought home.

People like them and that's fine but I just don't get the hype.
My wife and I bought a brand new 2003 Mazda MPV. We drove that van for 13 years. It was the 2nd best vehicle we've ever owned (right behind my 2004 Corolla)...super reliable, well built...my only complaint was Mazda's poor rustproofing processes they had at the time were woefully inadequate. Our current 2017 CX-9 is a pleasure to drive. I can't name one flaw about any aspect of this vehicle. It is leaps and bounds a better vehicle than the 2016 Toyota Sienna it replaced. I've never gotten the hype about VWs....

My wife and I looked heavily at a CX-5 during our recent quest for her new vehicle.
We both noted that the interiors LOOKED great, but just weren’t as comfortable as some of the competition.

We ended up deciding on a Subaru Outback for what its worth.

We did compare the CX9/Ascent/highlander and didn’t like ANY of the 7 seat options by ANY manufacturer.
Did you drive a CX-9? It is a much better vehicle than the other two you mentioned, and a blast to drive!

We have a 2012 Mazda 5 that is like a very small mini van. Has the sliding doors on both sides. Also the middle seat recline and have plenty of leg room with the front seats all the way back. Just got back from a Florida vacation in ours. Zero problems. I use full synthetic oil and have replaced tranny fluid once. Rear shocks had to be replaced. Front struts still great. The 2.5L motor has lots of power for merging. Wife's car mainly and she loves it. We hope it lasts forever. Zero rust. All the stuff like brakes which I replaced are Fomoco. Has 125k on it now. Sister owns a 2014 CX-5. We really like our Mazdas.

I had a Mazda 626 many years ago and it was a great car except the head gasket blew. The factory paid for the repair no questions asked. I really liked my Mazda.

I've never gotten the hype about VWs....
When's the last time you drove one? I suspect you didn't drive an Atlas before buying the CX-9.

Referencing my post, it must have been a '15-'16 Mazda6. 2012 was too long ago and she still had her C350 back then.

When's the last time you drove one? I suspect you didn't drive an Atlas before buying the CX-9.

Referencing my post, it must have been a '15-'16 Mazda6. 2012 was too long ago and she still had her C350 back then.
You're right, I didn't...VW's reliability record has never been very good...

Did you drive a CX-9? It is a much better vehicle than the other two you mentioned, and a blast to drive!
We drove all of them. The seven passenger sized SUV was not our cup of tea (it’s why we decided on a wagon).

I don’t doubt that Mazda makes a good vehicle, we just didn’t like the interior feel (too high-design at the cost of comfort). It also wasn’t “a blast” to drive. The Mazda MX-5 that we took for a fun spin on the other hand - what a fun car.

An interesting thing with The new I4T engines (across the board) - THEY ARE BORING. Completely numb. Sure they are faster than their non-turbo base engine counterparts but wow they don’t feel like it.

We drove all of them. The seven passenger sized SUV was not our cup of tea (it’s why we decided on a wagon).

I don’t doubt that Mazda makes a good vehicle, we just didn’t like the interior feel (too high-design at the cost of comfort). It also wasn’t “a blast” to drive. The Mazda MX-5 that we took for a fun spin on the other hand - what a fun car.

An interesting thing with The new I4T engines (across the board) - THEY ARE BORING. Completely numb. Sure they are faster than their non-turbo base engine counterparts but wow they don’t feel like it.
I don't know, our CX-9 is plenty fast, and it feels like it too...unless you're used to driving hot rods...

I think all cars with secured floor mats fasten in the same manner.
Yes they do, but the context here was what caused the unintended acceleration and it was the mats going forward. Toyota has hooks for that so it is driver error with the mats going forward. They didnt do anything to the pedal except cut it to make it more away from a bunched up mat. Nothing was wrong with anything else.

Back