Mazda No. 1 in Consumer Reports 2020 auto reliability survey

I’m very happy with my Mazda. Yes it’s old but hasn’t let me down besides when the fuel pump failed in my school parking lot but it was easy I went and got the part and put it in on the spot. It’s a 1989 B2200. It has no rust at all on it but I’m also in the south so we don’t see a whole lot of rust. I’ve only had to do general stuff to it so far. So I can see why they are on top of the list. Some of the new ones don’t look too bad either not nearly as bad as some new vehicles.

I had a 1997 Mazda 626, V6 manual, fully loaded. Bought it 3 years old with 49k miles. Handling was incredible for a FWD family sedan. That being said it was the biggest pile of trash reliability-wise. In my 2 years of ownership I had to put in: radiator, ABS module and sensors, alternator, 4 shocks, 2 control arms, 2 ball joints. The transmission started to grind in 2nd gear and I decided to get rid of it. I don't know if the previous owner abused the car, but it didn't seem to be abused, and the clutch worked very well. Overall, I liked the car in every way, except the reliability.

Appreciating floor mounting is one of those imaginary shibboleths like public gluing of M to O, F and T before attacking windmills or CAFE. On a floor mounted throttle pedal you're fastest round the exit ramps where others relying on super cruise instead of standing on their own feet barely ever make it out.

Mazda and Toyota/ Lexus are still expected to bring this last conventional drivers' car around the Skyactiv SiX for RWD/AWD and I cannot really imagine development taking another five years. For Toyota this placeholder shouldn't be in the way at all, even if – to do what they're really going to do in the future – they had to restructure almost as much as others because of hydrogen in the yard. On the other hand the six cylinder most probably won't have too much in common with the current four. Therefore reliability of the SPCCI be interesting documentation before the new appearance, but of limited value all in all. Recounted reliability in general of course is a thrill of the past. To the young ones those classic fightings are the equivalent to our grandparents' tales from the war.

Then again Toyota is said to be the one manufacturer possessing some lube competence and it's forever too late to see that changing. So...

This should counter all those beliefs that the colonists are the ones butchering the English language.

This should counter all those beliefs that the colonists are the ones butchering the English language.

When I deemed it unworthy and only gave a bare naked link they promptly started reading it all upside down
c065.gif

From everything I've found researching this, Mazda's rustproofing process of the past was not up to par. They have since stepped up their game in this regard and their vehicles built within the last 6-8 are said to be as good at fighting off rust as any make now...I will find out...
It seems like I've read comments about how they have corrected their rust problems every other year for the past 20 years. I really hope they did but being from Missouri, I'll have to wait a few more years.

I think their rust problems relate to sourcing and using some type of inferior metal. I suspect they knew how it could be addressed but there hasn't been the will within the executive suite. And, so long as the vehicles make it a few years past the warranty period most consumers don't seem to mind.

I noticed a majority of cars went to a floor mounted accelerator pedal (similar to the organ style pedal), shortly after the Toyota unintended acceleration recalls.

Toyota and Honda long term reliability and thus resale value has been higher. Mazda had good designs for their target market but the material quality is closer to that of domestics.

Mazda has that zoom zoom marketing while young adults into that along with the firmer ride are as likely to buy used and many today don't even want a car, let alone to turn a wrench on one. Some young adults are impulsive and that gets Mazda the market share they have, but the rest realize what a significant investment a vehicle is, possibly the biggest ever made if they don't own a home yet, so zoom zoom vs reliability is not a hard choice.

Less young adults are more likely to want a more comfortable ride for their primary vehicle and their 2nd/3rd vehicle used for joyrides won't have as much mileage put on it. This is how Mazda made a market win with the Miata, offering this niche product that doesn't have to hold up as long as Toyotas or Hondas, just last for an automotive lifetime of weekend joyrides.

Now I'll grant that part of the issue there is that people who drive a sedan like it's a sports car are going to rag it out. Perceived reliability might be higher if not for that, but rust is rust, and they just don't have the budget to R&D for much besides their new engines, and the fuel economy benefits of that are not high on the list of priorities for young adults wanting a zoom zoom car.

Consumer Reports? Meh they are a mixed bag, often their findings don't seem to align with my experiences but I can accept (and expect) that Mazda's competitors are suffering in reliability in recent years due to their newer designs trying to eek out more fuel economy. The curious thing is that the demographic more likely to engage in CR magazine and surveys is the opposite of the Mazda target market, so the only way they could have a comparable sample size is if Mazda's marketing department is gaming the CR survey system.
I know people who use Miatas as their primary and put astonishing mileage on them. Might as well be a Toyota Corolla.

I noticed a majority of cars went to a floor mounted accelerator pedal (similar to the organ style pedal), shortly after the Toyota unintended acceleration recalls.
I had the recall done then. They cut some of the pedal off. It was the floor mats pushing forward and bunching up because people didnt keep them hooked in that was the problem, not the pedal arm. What cars went to floor mounted pedals right after the Toyota recall? Any makes and models to list? Just curious if there any facts.
BTW in the old days I remember having to pull my floor mat back so many times because I bunched it forward and it pushed on the, floor mounted, pedal. I never thought to blame my error on the manufacturer for some reason.

Last edited:
I share that feeling. Why anyone buys a CR-V/Rav-4 over a CX-5 or a Pilot/Highlander over a CX-9 is beyond me. Mazda's drive better, get better economy, have more value per dollar, and are generally screwed together (from what I've seen in the field) vs. comparable Toyota or Honda offerings. The price alone should make them a contender.
Tried to get oilBabe to look at Mazda, but she wanted a Rav4. So I have a Mazda3 and she has a Rav4 and everyone is happy.

It seems like I've read comments about how they have corrected their rust problems every other year for the past 20 years. I really hope they did but being from Missouri, I'll have to wait a few more years.

I think their rust problems relate to sourcing and using some type of inferior metal. I suspect they knew how it could be addressed but there hasn't been the will within the executive suite. And, so long as the vehicles make it a few years past the warranty period most consumers don't seem to mind.
Something I plan on doing with my current Mazda is running the vehicle through the automatic car washes often during the winter time that have the undercarriage sprayers. I've never done this with any of my previous vehicles, but it seems to me any actions taken to keep as much salt washed off of the vehicle have got to go a long ways towards staving off corrosion...

I had the recall done then. They cut some of the pedal off. It was the floor mats pushing forward and bunching up because people didnt keep them hooked in that was the problem, not the pedal arm. What cars went to floor mounted pedals right after the Toyota recall? Any makes and models to list? Just curious if there any facts.
BTW in the old days I remember having to pull my floor mat back so many times because I bunched it forward and it pushed on the, floor mounted, pedal. I never thought to blame my error on the manufacturer for some reason.

Well for one, the 2018 Camry went to a floor mounted accelerator pedal. Funny because the Camry was the subject of several lawsuits and federal investigation for unintended acceleration. Floor mounted accelerator pedals have seen a mass adoption by the OEMs the past several years now. Suspended (hanging) pedals are more likely to get caught by bunched up floor mats as opposed to a floor mounted pedal.

Cutting the pedal sounds like a hack job. I thought they did something with the hinge?

Well for one, the 2018 Camry went to a floor mounted accelerator pedal. Funny because the Camry was the subject of several lawsuits and federal investigation for unintended acceleration. Floor mounted accelerator pedals have seen a mass adoption by the OEMs the past several years now. Suspended (hanging) pedals are more likely to get caught by bunched up floor mats as opposed to a floor mounted pedal.
Many (most?) Euro marques had floor-hinged pedals already. All of my BMW's did. My Jeep and RAM both have traditional arm-mount pedals.

Back