Consumer Reports; TV Reliability

First LCD TV I bought in ~2004 (a 32" 1080p Sceptre for $400) is still in use in my daughters room. Was our bedroom TV till a few months ago.
It was replaced with a Phillips 42" 1080p that I found by a dumpster. From what I can find, it is from around 2007-2008 time frame. No idea why it was in the trash, it works fine and looks good to me.
Living room tv is a 46" 1080p RCA that I bought for $400 in 2006/2007?

I don't understand why people buy a new tv when their old one still works? My sister (actually her husband) buys a new TV every other year or so, always getting a bigger/better/more featured model.
I watch stuff on theirs, and really see no difference to justify upgrading mine. I just don't need a 70" 4k smart tv.
Like any other hobby not everyone will “get it” and that’s okay. For example, people who collect train/rail road stuff.... I don’t get it, but if it makes them happy and they’re not hurting anyone, that’s enough justification for me.

I agree with you, some people just seem to want to impress others or feel better about themselves, or they are true video enthusiasts.

Who knows, many people are sitting at home with nothing to do, so it may be a combination of all of the above.

As for me, have a 49 inch CHANGHONG TV from newegg. I don't think this is sold in the states anymore. Its about 5 years old and is my first LED tv. Picture is fine.

In our bedroom, we have a 40 inch Insignia that was 150 dollars open box 10 years ago from Best Buy. Works fine.

Just put up a little Insignia Fire TV in my man cave at christmas, that was a $99 special.

I don't remember ever having a name brand TV.

The TCL I bought on cyber monday last year was from Costco. Opted for the extra 3 year warranty for $30. If it dies before 5 years theni can get a replacement. I've never had a TV die on me.

My mother had a Toshiba 48 inch that died after about three years. I'm pretty sure she had that tv on almost 24 hours a day 7 days a week. No extended warranty. I sold it for parts to some guy for $20.
TCL? Not for me even if CR said it's the best all time TV. IIRC, about a year ago, one of the tech services alleged TCL spying on their owners. Sad to say, but privacy has to be a concern these days in shopping for any thing electronic.

TCL? Not for me even if CR said it's the best all time TV. IIRC, about a year ago, one of the tech services alleged TCL spying on their owners. Sad to say, but privacy has to be a concern these days in shopping for any thing electronic.
I think those versions of the TCL had cameras built into them. Don't worry, if you have TikTok installed on your phone it's doing the same thing ;-).

Facebook and Google have way too much information on us to begin with.

That issue has been resolved:
TCL was recently notified by an independent security researcher of two vulnerabilities in Android TV models. Once TCL received notification, the company quickly took steps to investigate, thoroughly test, develop patches, and implement a plan to send updates to resolve the matter. Updating devices and applications to enhance security is a regular occurrence in the technology industry, and these updates are currently being distributed to all affected Android TV models. Click here for more information.

I really liked my little 27 inch Insignia until it fell off the table and the glass broke, but I can't blame that on the manufacturer.

My parents have had good luck with Vizio. No issues with reliability and I like the menu layout. They aren't brand new models though, so maybe quality has dropped since then.

I think those versions of the TCL had cameras built into them. Don't worry, if you have TikTok installed on your phone it's doing the same thing ;-).

Facebook and Google have way too much information on us to begin with.
Google, etc supposedly just gathers usage data that is anonymous (?) Bad enough, but TCL allegedly was watching YOU sitting in front of the set watching it. Entirely in a different league than Google, etc IMO. Even if TCL remedied this issue, it says a lot about their disregard for privacy and their corporate culture, IMO. It was only remedied after someone exposed it, not on their own.

No Tik Tok for me, either

Last edited:
I have a Panasonic plasma that's about 15 years old. Is on about 60 hours per week. Practically no motion blur, excellent black levels, etc. Like new.

I bought a Samsung 5 or so years ago. Crapped out last year, was on maybe 7 hours per week.

I just bought a 43" Sceptre for $148. I'll bet it's dead in 5 years. Response is pathetic.

Reactions: JC1
Had a 32" TCL in my son's room. It lasted a year and a half before it crapped out. Thankfully the extended warranty cut me a check. Would never buy a TCL again.

Some of these new TVs are a light as a feather. I'm guessing less circuitry is needed and the parts are smaller. I wonder if heat kills them if they are heavily used.

My old 42 inch plasma from 2006 is 3 times heavier than the 55 inch LCD I own. The only dislike of that plasma is it generates too much darn heat.

I have a 2008 Pioneer Kuro Elite that's still working great; ditto for the Panasonic plasma in the basement gaming system. I do plan to move the Kuro downstairs and go with a 75" TV, likely a Sony OLED.

Got a Polaroid 32" 1080p in 2006. The antenna port died in 2009. I use a TiVo analog to convert analog cable to it via RCA plug till Comcast turn off that, then I use a DTV converter to keep it running till about 2011. Polaroid ran out of business again and switch ownership. My parents threw it away because they don't know what to do with it.

The refurbish Sharp I got to replace it is running, but once in a while it would crash and reset itself. It was a 46" Aquos from around 2010 or so for $600.

I'm jealous!
Probably not for a while yet; I hoped that the Super Bowl deals would be better than Black Friday(they were in 2020) but no such luck. I may get a Sony 950H or a Samsung Q90T in November and call it a day.

I haven’t had much luck with Samsung products, including their TV’s. I have 3 LG TV’s and all of them have been perfect. The oldest one is a 47” LED that we bought in March 2010 and it’s on for probably 8 hours a day. I’ve been very satisfied with LG tv’s.

Back