Gas Range Reliability

There are some surprises in this report from Consumer Reports

These latest findings come from the Consumer Reports 2018, 2019, and 2020 Spring Surveys, which leverage data on 88,510 ranges that our members purchased between 2010 and 2020.

We have reliability ratings for 14 major manufacturers of gas ranges: Amana, Bosch, Cafe (formerly GE Cafe), Electrolux, Frigidaire, GE, Hotpoint, Jenn-Air, Kenmore, KitchenAid, LG, Maytag, Samsung, and Whirlpool.

Of the most reliable brands of gas ranges that were covered in our survey, only Samsung earns a rating of Excellent. Seven additional brands earn a rating of Very Good: Bosch, Cafe, Frigidaire, GE, Hotpoint, Kenmore, and LG. Ranges from these brands are the least likely to have problems during the first five years of ownership.

Of those eight brands, four also earn a rating of Very Good for owner satisfaction: Bosch, Cafe, LG and Samsung. No gas range brand earns a rating of Excellent for owner satisfaction.

Bottom line? Samsung is the most reliable brand, and ties for the highest owner satisfaction rating. Bosch, Cafe, and LG are also good bets, with Very Good ratings for both predicted reliability and owner satisfaction. These four brands make a number of models that perform extremely well in our lab tests, too

Technicians who repair ranges rate the brands differently than CR does. About 1000 of them responded to a 2019 survey with their opinions of ranges (gas and electric):

1. GE
2. Whirlpool
3. Kitchen Aid
4.Samsung
5.Frigdaire
6.Bosch
7.LG

Bought a new HotPoint gas cook top last year. Replaced a 30 year old Roper which replaced a 40 year old HotPoint electric. Still got the +60 year old HotPoint electric oven going. Sears House.

25 years and counting of service from the builder grade GE gas range that came with the house. I had to replace the oven ignitor a few years ago. It was $30. Not bad for a cheap appliance.

Gas Range Reliability​

Not as good as diesel. Best range you will find.

084.jpg

I had to fix my GE range/oven once. It was taking a really long time for the oven to get to temperature. They didn't make is easy to reach the broken part. It was way in the back of the oven and required removal of the warming tray which isn't really designed to be removed. Some tracks were bent removing it. Not a lot of parts to a gas range, though.

gas is simpler, especially older models + should be more reliable IMO, BUT once pots + pans are used on it they are TOAST for other types. i love the eze clean-up of my smooth top electric range a 30 or so old sears kenmore- GE, replaced one oven gasket so i dont use self clean anymore. pros like gas for its superior instant heat control!

People who uses aluminum nonstick pans due to weight?
Well, fortunately, the world is finally catching on. I was at WalWart a month or two ago and found an Aluminum, Non- stick, Non-Teflon, skillet that has a magnetic plate incorporated into the bottom. There were actually several versions, but I chose the "Green" one since it matched our kitchen a little bit. Been using it ever since.
It's not perfect. It takes a little higher setting (than cast iron) to get the same amount of sizzel, but it works just fine. It's easy to clean, you don't need butter to fry an egg, etc.
Oh yeah, and it doesn't weigh any more than a reg aluminum skillet.

With the invention of the induction range (cooktop) I don't see why anyone would want a gas one.
Because have over $1K worth of high quality cookware that isn't loaded with iron to use effectively on an induction cooktop. Kinda crazy if I can't even cook a marshmallow on my stove to make s'mores! Plus, even my glass top cooktop I seldom use that half/panel because more of a pain scraping food off with a razor blade. Plus, induction tends to have the shortest lifespan by far, like around 1/3rd that of gas unless you get something modern with electronics that don't need to be there.

I've never had a stove fail. I did have the clock/timer display fail on one, but it was not needed to operate the stove besides the oven self cleaning feature. Besides that, replaced a burner socket, and a couple switches and oven light bulbs.

Back