Consumer Reports; TV Reliability

I haven’t had much luck with Samsung products, including their TV’s. I have 3 LG TV’s and all of them have been perfect. The oldest one is a 47” LED that we bought in March 2010 and it’s on for probably 8 hours a day. I’ve been very satisfied with LG tv’s.
There are 3 Samsungs in my family and all are great.
Maybe just the luck of the draw on a mass produced product.
Every manufacturer of any product has a few duds here and there.

The TCL I bought on cyber monday last year was from Costco. Opted for the extra 3 year warranty for $30. If it dies before 5 years theni can get a replacement. I've never had a TV die on me.

My mother had a Toshiba 48 inch that died after about three years. I'm pretty sure she had that tv on almost 24 hours a day 7 days a week. No extended warranty. I sold it for parts to some guy for $20.
The failure of my 48" Hitachi after about 15 months of use (and out of warranty) got me into my first Vizio TV, which I still have.

I bought another, to upgrade the even older 42" Hitachi that encouraged me to buy the 48" unit. Two weeks ago, I got a 50" Vizio for $289 + tax. If it fails in 5 years, big deal, there will be new tech to replace it with.

The 42" Hitachi was moved into my "pain cave" with the indoor bike trainer to display the rides.

Video games for those who want to sweat at home instead of freeze on the road.

Reactions: JC1
My 15 year old Panasonic Viera 52 inch plasma is still working like new. Great picture quality with no burn in. Besides, it’s helping to heat the room I’m in on this cold rainy day. :giggle:

I have one Sony and 2 TCL all 4K, the TCL is a great value IMO, both have been very reliable and work well. I hope I just didn't jinx myself as usual. LOL

Reactions: JC1
I've got two Samsungs. One is about 7 years old, the other 3 years old, and I don't have any complaints or problems with either. I tend to skip over the lower tier suppliers as others have noted, some work, some don't, and some break early. I just don't want to deal with it, so buy a bigger name and pay the price. Hasn't let me down yet..

My 15 year old Panasonic Viera 52 inch plasma is still working like new. Great picture quality with no burn in. Besides, it’s helping to heat the room I’m in on this cold rainy day. :giggle:
In general I've found Panasonic the most reliable consumer electronics brand. Also the best color quality, too.

I'm in a weird situation as almost all my personal TVs are ones I got for free with bad mainboards, backlights, etc, that I fixed.

Currently in the house I have running:
55" Samsung in my bedroom, bad mainboard (1080p from approx 2011)
65" Samsung in my mother's bedroom, bad mainboard fixed with reflow (1080p, approx 2010, too)
50" LG in the living room, approx 2012
55" Vizio 4K Smart TV in sister's bedroom, bad backlight, approx 2017

I had a 32" "Upstar" TV in my bedroom prior, two of them, one died, one is still running. We have a 2012 or so 32" Vizio at my other sister's place, we also got that new. I killed a 19" generic TV by blowing a fuse running 12VAC instead of 12VDC by accident. We have some ancient 19" LCD still kicking around that doesn't even have HDMI that still runs. I also found and gave away a 2005 or 2006 Panasonic 24" LCD TV, and a 2007 Toshiba 32" LCD TV with a CableCard slot

I've fixed a TCL Roku 55" TV recently, looked like it blew a fuse but I replaced both the PSU and mainboard for about $50 total, and it's been running fine.

I think the only new TV I'd get under normal circumstances nowadays would be an LG OLED, since apparently I can get an unlimited supply of free broken TVs for every room in the house. I'm addicted to how nice OLED is vs LCD after getting an LG G8 smartphone with an OLED screen. Definitely a quality game changer. Out of all the TVs I own I like the LG's color most, too.

Only downside to OLED is they do not get as bright, so a bad choice for bright rooms. Some but not all, complain the black levels are so intense that detail is sometimes lost in dark areas of the screen or dark scenes.
High end LED from Sony and Samsung will not have those issues and in some ways have a more satisfying picture with brightness and better details in dark areas, also Sony well known for its excellent 4K upscaling on non 4K programming.

With that said, yes, OLED quality is what others are judged by, so I do agree with you and LG sets the standard since they developed and make the OLED panels. Just giving things for others to consider, if they are considering anything at all :eek:)

Bought a Vizio 47" in 2011, still going strong as the basement "gaming" display. Replaced it with a Vizio 58" 4K from Costco for $350. No issues with it yet. Someone mentioned Sony and Samsung, Sony yes, very good. Samsung however sold out and will throw their name on the most garbage hardware/panels out there. Not nearly as good as the used to be.

"Consumer Reports estimates that 20 percent of Hisense and Vizio TVs will experience a problem within the first five years."

On the "cup is half-full" attitude, that means 80% of them will still be in service for 5 years.
Right when Vizio first hit the market, my previous TV failed and I ran out to WM to get a replacement which was a Vizio. I can't remember exactly what year that was, but I remember telling my wife that if it made it one year, I'd be happy about it and buy a replacement when that happened. Kids were young, money was tight and I had the "kick the can down the road" mentality.
I still have the Vizio, use it a lot and it has been flawless. On the other hand, my brother has had several high-dollar name-brand sets (Samsung comes to mind as one of them) during this time that have failed. I've actually taken them apart hoping for a quick fix, but they have had major board damage that looked like there was a fire inside.

I have a 6 year old cheapo 39" Insignia from Best Buy that is still plugging along no issue. Was my main TV until ~4 years ago when it became a bedroom TV. Bedroom TV gets ~10 hours of use per night (yeah know its horrible to sleep with TV on). Not a single issue and it has survived 3 moves where it was not moved in the preferred fashion of being in a TV box placed upright.

49" Polaroid (rebadged Samsung back then - not sure who they are rebadging now) replaced the Insignia as main living room TV and it has had a few issues along the way. Year 2 - 1st issue was ½ the screen started going dark and continued to darken - followed some online recommends to basically unplug everything including power to restore TV and it worked, have not had any issues since. Year 3 - 2nd issue TV powering on by itself at random times, come home from work and TV is on, sleeping in middle of night TV turns on, very poltergeist and it was kind of creepy for a little bit. Another common issue with some feature called CEC which lets other devices communicate via HDMI so you can turn TV on via turning on a 3rd party device connected to the CEC HDMI port - resolution is to turn feature off and that seemed to have worked.

I personally take CR with a grain of salt after buying one of their top pick robot vacs ~3 years ago whose battery has degraded so much it just dies somewhere in a 784 sq/ft condo before it can make it home. This $479 robot vac is on its last legs after 3 years.

I have a strange feeling that all the Tvs in the same price points are all from the same assembly lines. in China or some other low labor cost country.

I have a strange feeling that all the Tvs in the same price points are all from the same assembly lines. in China or some other low labor cost country.
Don't know about that but the specs are pretty close usually.

You are pretty much correct.
They are contract builders, they will build to specs for the company which is pretty much all the major brands.
The major brands do most of their own manufacturing for the mid to high priced TVs.

I have a 6 year old cheapo 39" Insignia from Best Buy that is still plugging along no issue. Was my main TV until ~4 years ago when it became a bedroom TV. Bedroom TV gets ~10 hours of use per night (yeah know its horrible to sleep with TV on). Not a single issue and it has survived 3 moves where it was not moved in the preferred fashion of being in a TV box placed upright.

49" Polaroid (rebadged Samsung back then - not sure who they are rebadging now) replaced the Insignia as main living room TV and it has had a few issues along the way. Year 2 - 1st issue was ½ the screen started going dark and continued to darken - followed some online recommends to basically unplug everything including power to restore TV and it worked, have not had any issues since. Year 3 - 2nd issue TV powering on by itself at random times, come home from work and TV is on, sleeping in middle of night TV turns on, very poltergeist and it was kind of creepy for a little bit. Another common issue with some feature called CEC which lets other devices communicate via HDMI so you can turn TV on via turning on a 3rd party device connected to the CEC HDMI port - resolution is to turn feature off and that seemed to have worked.

I personally take CR with a grain of salt after buying one of their top pick robot vacs ~3 years ago whose battery has degraded so much it just dies somewhere in a 784 sq/ft condo before it can make it home. This $479 robot vac is on its last legs after 3 years.
sleeping with the TV on all night is known to cause an unstoppable need to buy all the "As seen on TV products".
how many frying pans do you really need?

Back