These are the 10 most and least reliable 2021 cars, trucks and SUVs, Consumer Reports says

Mazda makes a car that will run until it rusts out.

... which, sadly, is sooner rather than later.

Mazda makes a car that will run until it rusts out.

... which, sadly, is sooner rather than later.

Mazda out Toyota’s Toyota when it comes to late adoption of tech.

I see my most recent Volkswagen purchase made the top 10 least reliable.

I agree with Atikove. I have owned four VWs in the last eleven years. NONE OF THEM were ever in for any warranty work. I get excellent gas mileage, great fit and finish, just excellent handling and driving characteristics. I find the VW dealer service to be very good and I would be hard pressed to switch brands if I were looking for another vehicle.

As a lifelong automobile dealership tech (gone independent two years ago) I will say the Mazda is, and always has been, supremely under-rated in terms of reliability.
Lately I think their quality has been better than Toyota and Honda lately particularly because Mazda refuses to use the terrible CVT.
I have a 2018 Toyota CH-R (93,000 mi) in my shop right now with a failed CVT. A $7000.00 repair!!!
I see numerous Nissan garbage CVT failures monthly as well.
If you have a CVT, service the fluid every 30-45k….you’ll thank me.

From the article;

"They’re just about the only manufacturer that’s launching new models without a touch screen," Fisher said.

Funny, what is that screen on my 2017 CX5?

This Fisher person must be a political reporter.
Is it a touchscreen all the time, or only when the car is parked?

I learned years ago not to trust their ratings on anything. Bought their "top rated" stove for my wife. It cost a lot and was the worst stove that we had. Junked it at five years. And their car ratings are right in there with hogwash.

Parked or stopped but I believe drivers should not be playing with the touch screen while driving anyway. The commander knob is quite intuitive.

Changes are afoot though.
My 2018 Mazda 6 is the same way. Not sure how using the touchscreen is any more distracting than the knob though. Either shifts the drivers focus. My Toyota has touchscreen all the time, and its generally easier and faster to use for similar functions. At least for me.

I agree with Atikove. I have owned four VWs in the last eleven years. NONE OF THEM were ever in for any warranty work. I get excellent gas mileage, great fit and finish, just excellent handling and driving characteristics. I find the VW dealer service to be very good and I would be hard pressed to switch brands if I were looking for another vehicle.
Same here. I've owned 5 VW in the last 10 years. A 2011Jetta that had 180k on it when it was totaled and just needed one coil pack in that time.
A 2015 Passat TDI that I put 63k miles on it in 2 years and 3 days until it was bought back. That thing ate up the highway and I scored multiple 900+ mile tanks on it. The backseat and trunk was huge.
A 2017 Audi A4 that I've put 90k miles on it in 3 and a half years. No problems and gets great gas mileage especially for the power it has.
A 2019 Jetta that replaced the totaled one. Good solid car and I'm pleased with the 1.4 engine and the mpg it brings.
And finally my 2020 Atlas Cross Sport with the VR6 engine. So smooth when I comes to the ride, engine and transmission. Its got so much room inside. When I took it to get the front windows tinted the owner of the shop pulled it into the bay and told the tint guy that it felt so big and wide he didn't think he could get it backed through the garage door.
And all of these vehicles uses next to no oil. All run Ravenol or Castrol and never need topped up on 10k oci, except for the Audi, it gets 5k oci and maybe the Cross Sport but I dropped the factory fill at 1k and put Ravenol in it and it still only has 5k miles on it.

Loved my VW but after 100k it was something every year. But my Camry seems to be rapidly catching up now that it’s past 200k so maybe it will be no better.

The problem I have with CR is their definition of reliability. Reliability is "the quality of being trustworthy or of performing consistently well."
In statistics, it refers to measure repeatability. But in cars, I consider reliability performing consistently well.
Fit and finish is quality, not reliability.
My old '64 VW ran and ran and ran. Often times a hundred miles a day. All I did was oil changes. Fit and finish was not its strong point; reliability sure was.

I would just look at CR as a tool, one of many, to determine reliability when making a purchase. Like someone else said, it’s predicted reliability. It’s not actual. These cars change sometimes dramatically from year to year: going off of last year‘s data can be misleading and irrelevant. But at least it gives you one avenue to consider and that’s better than going in totally blind (which most tend to do), and when you’re buying a brand new car with a warranty? For most people it doesn’t matter one single bit. Not an ounce - they’ll trade them in before that warranty even runs out - but for the rest of us? I’d go to the forums.

The forums I think are the absolute best place to learn about vehicle problems...what everyone is experiencing over and over...what the “fix” was...how the dealer manufacturers are handling it, or not handling it.

From the article;

"They’re just about the only manufacturer that’s launching new models without a touch screen," Fisher said.

Funny, what is that screen on my 2017 CX5?

This Fisher person must be a political reporter.
Your interpretation is flawed.
The article did not say that all Mazda models do not have touch screens.
Your reference to politics is nonsensical and suspicious.

Two Audi's on the top ten vehicle list, yet Audi is 14 on the overall list typical double speak from CR. The Audi trend is interesting that has been showing for a while in their reports.

Well said above, CR is just one data point to consider. Their owner long term reports of vehicle reliability can be helpful, but even those are somewhat skewed as their subscriber base has been systematically brainwashed by CR to worship all things Japanese for decades.

Their test drive reviews are comical, they'd not know the difference between a dishwasher and a Porsche.

CR is a joke. Reliability yardstick there is only 1-2 yrs. . And none of their ''reporting'' members have a clue on mechanical or electrical functions or are willing to admit they bought a turd.
50 yrs of repairing appliances and seeing their ''recommendations'' on brands going from best buy to avoid in a couple years is the norm. Reading that rag is like reading the comic's for advice.

CR is a joke. Reliability yardstick there is only 1-2 yrs. . And none of their ''reporting'' members have a clue on mechanical or electrical functions or are willing to admit they bought a turd.
50 yrs of repairing appliances and seeing their ''recommendations'' on brands going from best buy to avoid in a couple years is the norm. Reading that rag is like reading the comic's for advice.
^This

I bought one of their top rated robot vacs ~3 years ago - Samsung PowerBot. 3 years later the battery is going kaput and it dies randomly before it even tries to make it back to the base and one of the brush retaining end caps had a piece break off which throws the brush off balance. This thing was almost $500 when new and it is pretty much junk 3 years later. Samsung has discontinued factory parts support so a replacement battery and brush roll cannot be sourced easily if at all.

Back