Mazda No. 1 in Consumer Reports 2020 auto reliability survey

2012: Sis buys a Mazda3i Touring. It's loved by all. True, our 6'7" relative doesn't fit into it well.
2016: Another rellie buys a Mazda3 Sport (base). Just turned 31K. Thinking about a good trade in at the dealership and renewing it.
2016: Family friend buys a MazdaCX-3. Loves it.
2018: Rellies lease a CX-5. Love it. I drove it. When the lease is done "I want it". The big rellie above fits into it OK.
2019: Sis dies and I'm offered ~$3,300 for it by contacts in the wholesale car business. I sold it privately for $6,800 w/60K on the odo.

They seem real good to me.
Good deal, but your sister dying really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I'd be devastated if anything happened to mine.

Great ride but when I looked at them they can't tow very much.
That is an issue.

CX-9 is rated to tow 3500lbs, Pilot 3500, highlander 5000 and enclave is 1500 without towing package/5000 with. I'd say that's pretty even, and to be honest I'd be surprised if 5% of buyers are planning to tow even 3500lbs...

Not sure the last time you have been in/around a Mazda but "material quality" meets or exceeds those of Honyota. My 2014 3 Grand Touring interior was easily better than competing Civic and Corolla and I would even say better than similar era Accord/Camry.

Like someone above said they are screwed together exceptionally well and have been for some time. I had my 2010 3 Grand Touring for almost 5 years and IIRC 80k ish miles when I traded it for the 2014, only issue I ever had was the HVAC recirculate actuator which was fixed under warranty.
Umm no, I don't at all mean the interior flashiness. That's the very last thing I would ever comment on as it is highly subjective and frankly, the nicer the interior looks on non-luxury class vehicles, the worse it degrades over time with the painted plastics and faux metal and wood, etc.

The material qualities is not upholstery (lol) rather of every important mechanical thing, sheet metal body included since the chassis on a unibody is crucial.

It is hilarious when someone states they had something for a mere "almost 5 years" or 80K mi. Even a GM piece of crap can hold up that long. Try 3X that long, and then you see why the resale value is lower and the reliability is too. People who trade in their cars during the highest depreciation period can pretend that anything is good, except that in a normalized market, doing so suffers the most loss too, so all that's saying is you paid for the wear one way or the other. That's fine if you got what you wanted out of the money but it's not at all some kind of proof of anything and frankly if it was a good vehicle, I would be less inclined to get rid of it that soon.

You are treating them like disposable vehicles then trying to suggest the opposite. Can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
CX-9 is rated to tow 3500lbs, Pilot 3500, highlander 5000 and enclave is 1500 without towing package/5000 with. I'd say that's pretty even, and to be honest I'd be surprised if 5% of buyers are planning to tow even 3500lbs...
In what universe is 3500lb pretty even with 5000lb?

No, it's not. That does not mean you have to actually tow over 3500lbs, rather it is also the fitness for less than that. Towing 3500lbs on a vehicle at its limit is not the same as towing 3500lbs on a vehicle capable of more. There are many more factors such as what cargo are you hauling while towing, are there hills (not just keeping speed but also braking safety), how long will it last before ragged out doing so, how much control do you have in wind (largely due to longer wheelbase), etc.

Granted, I wouldn't get any midsized SUV with towing in mind, but it is all a bit silly to me when smaller SUVs could tow 3500lbs off their rear bumper and it still wasn't a great idea if they had a short wheelbase.

In the olden days (lol) people had sanity and could just drive slower to accomplish a mission like that, but today everyone doesn't know what slower means, and I recognize that a part of that is every other vehicle has a higher HP:weight ratio so traffic moves faster and it is safer to keep up. Double edged sword, but ultimately a highlander is far more fit to tow 3500lbs than a CX-9.

If you are a consumer that plans on towing then I would get something like a 4Runner. Not everyone needs a vehicle with towing capabilities.

Really like Mazda’s interiors right now, I think they punch way way above their weight. Plus floor mounted throttle pedals, you know those engineers are car enthusiasts with the floor mounted throttle pedals.

"Plus floor mounted throttle pedals, you know those engineers are car enthusiasts with the floor mounted throttle pedals."

I don't get the joke. Was it a joke?

"Plus floor mounted throttle pedals, you know those engineers are car enthusiasts with the floor mounted throttle pedals."

I don't get the joke. Was it a joke?

The Mazda throttle pedal is hinged at the floor where your heel will be instead of up above, just like a organ pedal.

Appreciating floor mounting is one of those imaginary shibboleths like public gluing of M to O, F and T before attacking windmills or CAFE. On a floor mounted throttle pedal you're fastest round the exit ramps where others relying on super cruise instead of standing on their own feet barely ever make it out.

Mazda and Toyota/ Lexus are still expected to bring this last conventional drivers' car around the Skyactiv SiX for RWD/AWD and I cannot really imagine development taking another five years. For Toyota this placeholder shouldn't be in the way at all, even if – to do what they're really going to do in the future – they had to restructure almost as much as others because of hydrogen in the yard. On the other hand the six cylinder most probably won't have too much in common with the current four. Therefore reliability of the SPCCI be interesting documentation before the new appearance, but of limited value all in all. Recounted reliability in general of course is a thrill of the past. To the young ones those classic fightings are the equivalent to our grandparents' tales from the war.

Then again Toyota is said to be the one manufacturer possessing some lube competence and it's forever too late to see that changing. So...

Last edited:
We’ve owned two CX-5s, neither have given us any serious issues. Even minor issues are almost non-existent.

Will always keep them in mind when car shopping. Simply put they make an affordable car that is enjoyable to own, drive, and ride in.

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Going from our 2016 Sienna to our 2017 CX-9, I noticed a huge upgrade in build quality (when I close a door there is a tight thud sound, whereas when I closed a door on the Sienna it sounded like a rattling tin can), the interior design/layout/quality of materials is much better, operation of the media center is much more straight forward and simple to use, the ride is much nicer and quieter, and the pluses just go on and on and on....I think Mazda is making some of the best vehicles on the road...

Mine has no rust. I just watched a video that my dealer did during the inspection the other day. Included in the video was the inspection of the engine bay. A nice touch I thought.
From everything I've found researching this, Mazda's rustproofing process of the past was not up to par. They have since stepped up their game in this regard and their vehicles built within the last 6-8 are said to be as good at fighting off rust as any make now...I will find out...

The regular Prius is number one on their list of all cars. I am impressed the Buick Encore is up there too, it’s made in Korea I think.

Back