Mazda No. 1 in Consumer Reports 2020 auto reliability survey

things that go against Mazda: their all vehicles are on a smaller size, weak logistics and low residual value

everything else is just great

Mine has no rust. I just watched a video that my dealer did during the inspection the other day. Included in the video was the inspection of the engine bay. A nice touch I thought.
I just saw a CX-5 the other day with rust beginning on the rear quarters, if you live in the rust belt this brand the worst of the worst, Yugo's rusted less. That is not to say it is a bad car but if you live in a rust prone area these are not the cars to own.

Look at the individual cars reliability and see which ones are best. Overall Mazda was best, but others make more kinds of vehicles which makes a difference. Mazda is really good though, and Toyota sells rebadged Mazdas on a couple models. Look at what car is number one of all cars.

It’s tiny for a 7 passenger vehicle.
Compared to a Pilot it is a bit smaller, but I see very little difference between it and the Highlander. I'm 6'2 250 and I can put the front seat where I want it, sit in the 2nd row behind that comfortably, and fit into the 3rd row well enough to make it across town if I needed to.. How much bigger does it need to be?

I just saw a CX-5 the other day with rust beginning on the rear quarters, if you live in the rust belt this brand the worst of the worst, Yugo's rusted less. That is not to say it is a bad car but if you live in a rust prone area these are not the cars to own.

That's disappointing to hear. Model years from about 2002 through about 2009 rusted very badly here. 2005 through 2009 was not as bad as earlier. I had thought they had beaten the rust issues over the past 10 years.

I haven't seen any rusty Mazdas newer than that here - but our very cold winters actually discourage rust. It's the Spring thaws that really hurt. I'm sure the rust issues in New England are much worse, as they are in Quebec and southern Ontario.

As I always buy used, I watch any vehicle type I'm considering to see if and where rust is starting.

2012: Sis buys a Mazda3i Touring. It's loved by all. True, our 6'7" relative doesn't fit into it well.
2016: Another rellie buys a Mazda3 Sport (base). Just turned 31K. Thinking about a good trade in at the dealership and renewing it.
2016: Family friend buys a MazdaCX-3. Loves it.
2018: Rellies lease a CX-5. Love it. I drove it. When the lease is done "I want it". The big rellie above fits into it OK.
2019: Sis dies and I'm offered ~$3,300 for it by contacts in the wholesale car business. I sold it privately for $6,800 w/60K on the odo.

They seem real good to me.

That's disappointing to hear. Model years from about 2002 through about 2009 rusted very badly here. 2005 through 2009 was not as bad as earlier. I had thought they had beaten the rust issues over the past 10 years.

I haven't seen any rusty Mazdas newer than that here - but our very cold winters actually discourage rust. It's the Spring thaws that really hurt. I'm sure the rust issues in New England are much worse, as they are in Quebec and southern Ontario.

As I always buy used, I watch any vehicle type I'm considering to see if and where rust is starting.
Not good!

I have a 2019 Mazda CX 5 GT-R with the AWD and turbo engine. I am totally pleased with it. Well, as an aging motorhead I always wish for more power but at 250 hp with a lot of torque at low RPM's and a well programmed 6 speed auto is doesn't disappoint. It handles surprisingly well on mountain roads for a 3800 lb SUV. It is quiet and comfortable for long drives and has just enough passenger and cargo space for my needs.

The article linked above regarding the rust recall is from 2017. And concerns Mazdas from 2014-2016.

Mazda has supposedly addressed the rust issues. We'll see. I don't live in the rust belt, we get snow a few times a year and I'm not sure if CalTrans uses salt. I know they use a lot of sand on the plowed roads. I give the undercarriage a good hosing off when washing the car in the winter. No problems with rust so far.

It is too bad the cars look good but what I dont get is why this is happening, is it cheap metal, poor coatings I have no idea but whatever the reason they should do something about it.

I cosigned for my son who just purchased a Mazda 3. The Skyactive technology is pretty cutting edge. I've read where Mazda takes some technology from diesel and gasoline engines and is able to achieve very efficient fuel mileage numbers. The 2.5 non turbo has a 14:1 compression ratio. Coupled with a proven six speed transmission. Hopefully it will serve him well.

Here's a good overview.

SKYACTIV-G

Reactions: Ws6
Agree with the other comments on rust. Maybe they've fixed it, but some of the cars from the mid 2000's have terrible rust problems. Tough to say its fixed now - otherwise the ones I've driven in and ridden in are nice vehicles.

I'd buy a Mazda if they were made in USA. But they are made in Mexico with a made in USA or Japan price tag.

That depends on the model. Most Mazda cars are assembled in Hiroshima Japan.

Mazda, along with Toyota is finishing up on their MTMUS assembly plant in Alabama.

That depends on the model. Most Mazda cars are assembled in Hiroshima Japan.

Mazda, along with Toyota is finishing up on their MTMUS assembly plant in Alabama.

The only Mazda that I would consider is a Mazda3 hatchback. For something made in Mexico, it's very expensive.

Toyota and Honda long term reliability and thus resale value has been higher. Mazda had good designs for their target market but the material quality is closer to that of domestics.

Mazda has that zoom zoom marketing while young adults into that along with the firmer ride are as likely to buy used and many today don't even want a car, let alone to turn a wrench on one. Some young adults are impulsive and that gets Mazda the market share they have, but the rest realize what a significant investment a vehicle is, possibly the biggest ever made if they don't own a home yet, so zoom zoom vs reliability is not a hard choice.

Less young adults are more likely to want a more comfortable ride for their primary vehicle and their 2nd/3rd vehicle used for joyrides won't have as much mileage put on it. This is how Mazda made a market win with the Miata, offering this niche product that doesn't have to hold up as long as Toyotas or Hondas, just last for an automotive lifetime of weekend joyrides.

Now I'll grant that part of the issue there is that people who drive a sedan like it's a sports car are going to rag it out. Perceived reliability might be higher if not for that, but rust is rust, and they just don't have the budget to R&D for much besides their new engines, and the fuel economy benefits of that are not high on the list of priorities for young adults wanting a zoom zoom car.

Consumer Reports? Meh they are a mixed bag, often their findings don't seem to align with my experiences but I can accept (and expect) that Mazda's competitors are suffering in reliability in recent years due to their newer designs trying to eek out more fuel economy. The curious thing is that the demographic more likely to engage in CR magazine and surveys is the opposite of the Mazda target market, so the only way they could have a comparable sample size is if Mazda's marketing department is gaming the CR survey system.

Last edited:
The only Mazda that I would consider is a Mazda3 hatchback. For something made in Mexico, it's very expensive.

I just did a check, and all of the 2020 and 2021 Mazda3 Hatchbacks at the dealer down the road from me have VIN #'s that start with a "J". That means assembled in Japan.

The Mazda 3 sedans they have in stock have VIN #'s that begin with a "3"...that means Mexico.

Toyota and Honda long term reliability and thus resale value has been higher. Mazda had good designs for their target market but the material quality is closer to that of domestics.

Not sure the last time you have been in/around a Mazda but "material quality" meets or exceeds those of Honyota. My 2014 3 Grand Touring interior was easily better than competing Civic and Corolla and I would even say better than similar era Accord/Camry.

Like someone above said they are screwed together exceptionally well and have been for some time. I had my 2010 3 Grand Touring for almost 5 years and IIRC 80k ish miles when I traded it for the 2014, only issue I ever had was the HVAC recirculate actuator which was fixed under warranty.

Back