Mattress 10 year rule?

I have a Sleep Number from Select Comfort and I bought it back in 2014. I hardly change the remote settings but I have had to change the names of co-pilot a few times. I sold their beds in 2000 and the only thing I wish I had was where it lifts my legs up to take tension off my hips and sciatic nerve. But for right now I have about twenty pillows.

No ten year rule here, no sagging ever.
No more stiff backs, wife and I adjust each side to our own liking.
Really is the perfect solution and doesnt get any better then this.

One choice is the Sleep Number Mattress as another posted in here
We chose the other choice which is an identical product different manufacturer. We actually around the same time in 2014 had an order in for Sleep Number but cancelled it for no other reason than I liked the idea of this one more. Whether I was right or wrong I thought of it as a more heavy duty commercial built product. At the time also the Sleep Number delivery/return charges were anything but transparent. Sleep Number will give you a trial period, but look at how much they will charge to pick it up. (no you cant return it to a store) However that might be the same for this product now too. We bought ours through Sam's Club a long time ago and if we didnt like it we could return it there at the time.

We bought the basic model (Digital Princeton out of the choices) and added our own quality 2 inch topper. I did this for a reason. The mattress is the same but more expensive have more foam ect. I rather put on my own foam so IF it does ever start to break down I simply replace the foam topper.
Anyway no matter what brand you choose if you do it this way you will never have a sagging mattress, heck you may not even want a topper but if you do this is ideal.
Either Brand, both are great, air adjustable beds are the most common sense in mattresses since mattresses were invented! It's really silly to buy anything else if you think about it. Why buy a foam based mattress? Foam will ALWAYS break down.

With air adjustable you will never wake up with a sore back again. Trust me. I know, I have been through every type of mattress.
Ok, so lately Sleep Number promotes an app on your phone to adjust your bed. Another thing I now hate about that company is they charge extra if you want a remote. Who the HECK wants to have to use your smart phone to adjust your bed. I have two wired remotes on mine, one for each side. The newer models have a wireless but at least you're not forced to use your phone.
I prefer two wired but it is what it is.
This is the company that we have = https://www.innomax.com/product-cat...on/premium-digital-air-beds/digital-air-beds/

This is the mattress we bought and then put our own topper on it. love this brand as it comes with TWO dedicated remotes, you dont have to keep your phone at your bedside. We have the same model as this but on this one the remotes have been updated.

This is what our two older remotes look like, the bed has been 100% reliable. Results I guess can vary. The numbers are crisp and clear but photo is not. I set my side at 45, my wife at like 28 or less *LOL*
IMG_1692.JPG

I mean, think about it, gosh, its just plain common sense.

Last edited:
We are lucky in this area, that we still have a locally family owned business who *builds* their own mattresses in house, and they have for decades. They will ask you questions, and will recommend a standard floor model... or they will modify an existing floor model to custom build a mattress to fit your needs. They will show you the inner springs, the padding, and explain the differences. They still build an old school, two-sided flippable mattress... which last longer.

Need an odd-sized mattress for a motorhome? They do it all the time.

And the beauty of it all, is it doesn't cost any more than the big box store offerings from Sealy, Serta, or Simmons.... many times less, since there is no marketing and no middle man.

What’s your take on replacing your mattress every 10 years. Is that a time frame made up by the mattress industry or is that the time usually the inner mattress starts to break down?

I bought my current mattress in 2013 and I just noticed the center of the queen doesn’t feel as firm as the sides. I’m single and sleep in the middle. I think I paid under $1K for it back then. I have a platform bed so I don’t need a box spring. The Mattress is one side only and I been giving it a 180 every six months. Thought?
If your body doesn't ache in the morning, why replace the mattress?

but there's a nice ditch down the middle of it that's starting to get uncomfortable.
Wish I had that problem. I'd gladly pay to replace, but alas, the middle is pretty unused. :(

On a more serious note, not sure how old ours is, I think we went about cheapest last time, that was still foam? No idea, but it seems to be doing ok, got to be getting close to 10, and when it starts getting uncomfortable, I'm not looking forward to shopping, as it just seems like a scam. Pillows too, although I think after the wife's last shopping spree of trying out pillows, she found one that she likes (and I got one of the castoffs that does the job for me too).

I got an "inofia" queen mattress, 11.6", from Amazon for $299. It's nice. Firm. Showed up in a bundle, had to cut the straps inside my bedroom then it blew open like a lifeboat. :LOL:

I got a mattress from Costco and it was terrible after a few months. I took it back. Told them sorry, I feel like a jerk. They said no problem you just have to put this plastic over it. I got one of their super thick memory foam ones and it's been as good as any other mattress I've owned. I slept on a futon for many years in my younger days so I have sort of low standards.

I got a queen real latex matress in 2014 and there is absolutly no wear at all. It is a little on the firm side but I find it great. The only issue is that when it needs moved it takes 3 people.

I've never heard of the 10 year thing until really recently; I thought you just buy new ones when the inner springs start popping out the top. Mine is probably coming up on 20 years old at this point....

Back