The great mattress scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
So I ordered and installed a 2 inch medium 100% dunlop 30 ILD 5 lb density latex topper to replace the [censored] foam they used. I stuck the quilted top layer back on top and encased the entire thing in a zippered mattress protector. Voila, I had the best nights rest in ages. If I do this again, I may get 3 inches of latex. You can't even tell I did surgery on the mattress. It has perfect support and plushness. the innerspring system was still perfectly level with only about 1/2 inch sag in the very middle. When it finally wears out, I'll probably buy a quality 7 inch high density poly foam base and use 3 inches of latex for the comfort layer and call it a day. I'm tired of being ripped of by the big mattress manufacturers. It's a scam and the warranties they have are useless. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for posting. These types of post are appreciated by many, me included.

Drew,

What about your wife, what type of mattress does she like?
You'll be in the dog house if she doesn't have a say in what mattress to buy.

I pretty much buy mattresses exclusively from Costco. Have replaced all of them in my house over the last few years. Costco seems to play the least games.

I have a question?

I have a foundation made from plywood under my imitation Temperpedic memory foam mattress. I shouldn't have to replace it when I need a new mattress right?

PS: The imitation Temperpedics get soft after a couple of years....I've extended the life by putting plywood between the layers of foam to firm it up but a new mattress is in my near future......

Good Thread Drew...

How about all that bee-ess about your mattress weighing twice as much after eight years because of dead skin and dust mite feces?

I have an awesome mattress that will last me forever because when I fall asleep on the couch at night I often just stay there. I guess my back is pretty resilient - I'll be 50 in a week.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Reconditioned? ???

Mattresses come with warrantees. If you don't like it they'll take it back within so many days, etc. What do you suppose happens to the ones brought back? Vacuumed, maybe steam cleaned, and sold again at a big discount as "reconditioned" I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Mattresses are a huge rip-off.

Funny thing though....people will still think they need to pay nearly a thousand or more for a decent one.

Per our usual bitog membership, what follows will be a plethora of "my mattress is best" posts and "you spend X number of years in bed....so why not spend X number of dollars".

Then I bet it gets your panties in a twist when I say that we've had a sleep number bed for somewhere around 15 years now. It's just as comfortable as it was when we purchased it, and both my wife and I sleep extremely well. I haven't had to hack it open or replace anything.

And yes, back then we paid more than $1,000 for it. And since it's wearing quite well, I don't see us getting rid of it for many years. Chances are it has already outlived several of your cheapie mattresses and will outlive at least one or two more. It also provided us with a better night's sleep to boot.

+1. Double twist with a round of wedgie thrown in for good measure.

What does everyone think about Tempurpedic mattresses? I prefer pillow top,but have contemplated getting a Tempurpedic. I also prefer a very soft mattress and not a firm one. I sleep on a Tempurpedic memory foam pillow and love it!

Tempurpedics can be very supportive, but rarely are they soft. In fact, in cooler weather they can be fairly stiff. They will also hold in large amounts of warmth in all seasons. Had two of them over twenty five years. We now sleep on a flippable 11inch latex mattress. It is the most comfortable we've had.

How much were the parts, where did you get them, any pics? What are the best websites to learn about this? I like this idea.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
How much were the parts, where did you get them, any pics? What are the best websites to learn about this? I like this idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Natural-Late...9686&sr=1-3

That is the topper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BAEF7E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Zippered encasement.

http://denvermattress.furniturerow.com/d...//#.VUsE4ZPUSfw

That is the mattress I hacked open.

The 2 websites with the most info are in my second post. mattress underground and whatisthebestmattress.

Last edited:
I had no idea this was a thing. Been putting off buying a new mattress for years because, deep down, I feel it's a ripoff - we would end up with another [censored] mattress just like the old one.

My 12-yr old Dr's Choice king-size will be getting a new topper and encasement shortly (after I read through the websites noted above). The 3" topper sounds good. Thanks for the Amazon links.

Your post is much appreciated, Drew99GT.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I get what my wife pciks to make her happier in bed.

Be careful with that..........
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
So I ordered and installed a 2 inch medium 100% dunlop 30 ILD 5 lb density latex topper to replace the [censored] foam they used. I stuck the quilted top layer back on top and encased the entire thing in a zippered mattress protector. Voila, I had the best nights rest in ages. If I do this again, I may get 3 inches of latex. You can't even tell I did surgery on the mattress. It has perfect support and plushness. the innerspring system was still perfectly level with only about 1/2 inch sag in the very middle. When it finally wears out, I'll probably buy a quality 7 inch high density poly foam base and use 3 inches of latex for the comfort layer and call it a day. I'm tired of being ripped of by the big mattress manufacturers. It's a scam and the warranties they have are useless. Thanks for reading.

Thanks for posting. These types of post are appreciated by many, me included.

+1

I plan on re-visiting this thread when my 2 year old bed starts to sag within the next 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back