The great mattress scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's up for another mattress thread! I am...

OK, I've spent about 3 grand in decent quality mattress in the last 10 years. I've bought 3 of them; A Sealy Posterpedic. That one was a pile of junk after a year. No support what so ever. Since then, I've had 2 Denver Mattresses, a plush and a firm. They've been decent, but start sagging and losing support after only a few years. So here I am, in need of a new mattress once again. Well, I'm fed up with this industry. it's the biggest scam in business. I've been doing a ton of research over the last week and the general consensus is, for inner spring mattresses, that they're mostly all the same when it comes to material used. There are the obvious differences in spring designed with traditional, individual coil/pocketed coil etc. But they all use cheap foam for the comfort layers. Some more expensive ones will have latex or memory foam in the comfort layers, but the manufacturers won't tell you the density, thickness or ILD of the materials used.

SO, I found on a forum where people have resorted to doing mattress "foamectomies". That's right, cut your perfectly good but sagging mattress open and replace the foam, since that is what wheres out. The spring support system is still perfectly fine.

Well, I did it to my Denver Dr.s Choice mattress yesterday. I cut the entire top off and found 2 inches of the cheapest convoluted foam they could have used. They advertize 1.8 lb density vs. most manufacturers 1 lb density. I have my doubts... So I ordered and installed a 2 inch medium 100% dunlop 30 ILD 5 lb density latex topper to replace the [censored] foam they used. I stuck the quilted top layer back on top and encased the entire thing in a zippered mattress protector. Voila, I had the best nights rest in ages. If I do this again, I may get 3 inches of latex. You can't even tell I did surgery on the mattress. It has perfect support and plushness. the innerspring system was still perfectly level with only about 1/2 inch sag in the very middle. When it finally wears out, I'll probably buy a quality 7 inch high density poly foam base and use 3 inches of latex for the comfort layer and call it a day. I'm tired of being ripped of by the big mattress manufacturers. It's a scam and the warranties they have are useless. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Mattresses are a huge rip-off.

Funny thing though....people will still think they need to pay nearly a thousand or more for a decent one.

Per our usual bitog membership, what follows will be a plethora of "my mattress is best" posts and "you spend X number of years in bed....so why not spend X number of dollars".

The expensive ones/ginormous pillowtops usually have the same crummy innards. Even if they advertize memory foam or latex, it's a 1 inch layer with the rest cheap convoluted poly foam at 1 to 1.5 lb density. Go on mattressunderground.com or better yet whatsthebest-mattress.com and see the photos of people who have done mattressectomies. Even $2,000 + pillowtops have the same cheap low desnity foam. They may have a better individually wrapped spring system, but it's the comfort layer that wears out and loses support.

Originally Posted By: Plumber
Great, just great...my wife has been wanting a new set for a while...

Build your own with premium high density foam base and latex on top for under a thousand bucks, That will last much longer than the big box brand name innerspring pos mattresses.

Good for you! I had never honestly thought about cutting the mattress open to replace sagging foam. That is a very good idea.

We bought a new bed from this place about 5 years ago. Nice pillow top mattress, boxspring, and a nice wood frame and headboard. It was less than a grand for the entire set, and it's still every bit as comfortable as it was when it was new.

http://www.dock86.com/

I need a good night's rest or I don't feel good all day. I have had a $700 Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Elise Firm for over a year, and I love it. I wake up beautifully recharged and firm every day. The mattress has these features:

Stretch Knit Cover
SimGuard FR Fiber
5/8 Plush Comfort Foam
1 AirCool Foam
1/2 GelTouch Foam
1/2 EnergyFoam
800 Density Luxury Firm Beautyrest Pocked Coil Springs
Ventilated AirCool BeautyEdge Foam Encasement
AirCool Mesh Border
1/2 EnergyFoam
Triton Foundation
NuFlex Foundation Compatible
10 Year Warranty

My sister recently told me her and her husband paid 3 grand for a new mattress...I'm still trying to wrap my head around that...there's no way in H E double hockey sticks I'd pay anywhere near that much for a mattress...

Glad it works out for you. I'm not surprised as I went through the same search myself.

Based on what a mattress warranty claim inspector told me, I'd buy the heaviest mattress I can afford because they use thicker springs (and a few more rounds) and higher density foam of the same springiness, so they last longer before wearing out.

Cutting a mattress that has worn foam seems to be the only way to "fix" a mattress instead of throwing it away for another cheap junk that'll wear out quickly.

Online latex mattress !!!!

Flobeds
Sleepez

Etc

Try "the mattress underground" for top advice on this subject. More info than you would care to know about the industry.

Last edited:
I bought a Sterns & Foster latex mattress for $350 at a store that sells reconditioned mattresses. I looked the mattress up and found out it is was on sell at a local bed store for $2400. I've had the best luck with Simmons in the past.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
A Sealy Posterpedic. That one was a pile of junk after a year. No support what so ever.

i don't understand. i had one for over 20 years and it's like new. best $500 i ever spent. one has to remember to rotate it every couple of months. i "oiled" the springs in the box spring once as they were squeaky from rust.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I bought a Sterns & Foster latex mattress for $350 at a store that sells reconditioned mattresses. I looked the mattress up and found out it is was on sell at a local bed store for $2400. I've had the best luck with Simmons in the past.

Reconditioned? ???

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Mattresses are a huge rip-off.

Funny thing though....people will still think they need to pay nearly a thousand or more for a decent one.

Per our usual bitog membership, what follows will be a plethora of "my mattress is best" posts and "you spend X number of years in bed....so why not spend X number of dollars".

Then I bet it gets your panties in a twist when I say that we've had a sleep number bed for somewhere around 15 years now. It's just as comfortable as it was when we purchased it, and both my wife and I sleep extremely well. I haven't had to hack it open or replace anything.

And yes, back then we paid more than $1,000 for it. And since it's wearing quite well, I don't see us getting rid of it for many years. Chances are it has already outlived several of your cheapie mattresses and will outlive at least one or two more. It also provided us with a better night's sleep to boot.

I was bothered with back problems since my middle thirties, in my middle 60’s now. We had always purchased Sealy Posturepedic's and replaced them every 8-10 years. We tried different firmnesses and nothing seemed to help. About 9 years ago we bought a Tempur-Pedic and have’t looked back. For me it worked, no more back problems. Money well spent and I highly recommend them. Don’t cheap out on mattresses, you spend a third of your life on one.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
A Sealy Posterpedic. That one was a pile of junk after a year. No support what so ever.

i don't understand. i had one for over 20 years and it's like new. best $500 i ever spent. one has to remember to rotate it every couple of months. i "oiled" the springs in the box spring once as they were squeaky from rust.

How long a mattress lasts depends on the weight of the sleeper and the amount and kind of action the bed sees.

I've had my share of crummy mattresses lately. I purchased a $2000 Serta, only to have it sag so badly in one year, I was stuck in one place and had to roll uphill to move around. Pathetic.

I simply went out and purchased a cheap 100% latex mattress from Kevin Jackson (city furniture house brand) . It's pretty good and holding up well enough over the last few years.

There is a culture of DIY mattresses online. One can purchase all the materials needed and make something really good.

I've always liked the "Jamison" foam mattresses at some of the Marriott hotels. 6 inches of foam atop a spring setup. Really comfy.

http://www.prettyhandygirl.com/diy-latex-mattress-savvy-rest-serenity/

http://www.themattressunderground.com/our-articles/latex-pros-and-cons.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back