Who buys a new mattress every 8 yrs or so?

I did a search and didn't see anything specific on this. Just was wondering who actually changes out their mattress? We changed ours out after 19yrs. Went from a spring to a memory foam. My mom still has the one her and dad had when I was growing up and I'm 55. When I go home I sleep in the bed I grew up on, same mattress.

It seems there is a mattress sale going on year round. LOL At least here, they have a sign out all the time.
after every divorce perhaps????;)

We change them out because we change the bed to a different size, otherwise we would have kept using a worn out mattress because we got used to it.

Is that a foam mattress? Don't you sink into it like a regular worn out mattress?
Tempur-Pedic was the original memory foam mattress that everyone is now copying, albeit at a cheaper price. They are very firm, but support you evenly. Much better than any spring coil mattress. And they don't take a set. They have several models. The general rule is the thicker they are, the more they cost.

Does sleeping on a soft worn out mattress increase your likelihood of back injuries? Or in other words, for those that bought a new firm mattress, did you find it strengthened your back or you became less susceptible to back injuries?

My wife sort of want me to replace the mattress because it is no longer comfortable, and I end up doing months of research and come to the conclusion that:

1) Sometimes you still need to replace the mattress because you age and your spline and joints don't work the same as a decade ago
2) The top comfort layer wears out and collapsed, you may be able to replace that if you want to gut it out but it is no guarantee the spring under it hasn't sag either.
3) They don't build them like they used to so you cannot flip them anymore

My wife's back injury got better not because of a new mattress but because of a new job. The mattress help in some way but not in others, and the old one is indeed sort of worn out. We sold it with the old bed with a steep discount but it is not a good bang for the bug fix for her back.

Like clothings I think mattress need a lot of testing to know what you like, I end up ordering a foam mattress that have a showroom to try and I test almost all of them out there, find out what works and what doesn't (which layer which density and how thick), and buy according to what I found will work. Expensive isn't always better. What works for my wife end up being the middle priced foam mattress with exactly 2" comfort layer in medium density foam, and 8" support layer of high density foam.

I replace my mattress as soon as a dip starts forming, so about every 5 years.
We used too but now have a dual zone air queen size mattress. Exactly like a Sleep Number bed... but a little more heavy duty... Princeton By American I think it is/was/ oops, no made by innomax
Never a dip because its air and even better wife and I can adjust each side to our liking separately. Best, ever decision we ever made.
Been there, done that, with every type and grade of mattress, including memory foam. No more need for any of it. Plus we put a 1 or 2 inch foam topper on it and can change it out every few years if we wish.

This is came about because I would get a back ache as the mattress would wear and get that dreaded dip, there is no way around it unless its air.
Plus its great being able to make it as firm as you want so you can get the least expensive one and be in control of the foam that goes on top.
We have the Princeton, looks like the digital controls have a new more modern look, sure they are still good. Bed has been dead on reliable.

3) They don't build them like they used to so you cannot flip them anymore
You can't flip Tempur-Pedics, but you can turn them 180. The problem is the better models are quite thick and heavy. There was no way my wife and I could lift and rotate ours. So when we moved 2 years ago, I marked the front left corner, and made sure the movers installed it to the frame with that corner at the lower right. (Rotated 180 degrees). The other thing you can do is change sides every couple of months to change the pattern of depression.

You can't flip Tempur-Pedics, but you can turn them 180. The problem is the better models are quite thick and heavy. There was no way my wife and I could lift and rotate ours. So when we moved 2 years ago, I marked the front left corner, and made sure the movers installed it to the frame with that corner at the lower right. (Rotated 180 degrees). The other thing you can do is change sides every couple of months to change the pattern of depression.
Of course, but usually density is quality. The same can be build for stiffer and lighter and won't last as long as a heavier but softer. The same goes for car suspension spring if you know how things work.

Back in the days you can flip top and bottom around in addition to rotate.

Does sleeping on a soft worn out mattress increase your likelihood of back injuries? Or in other words, for those that bought a new firm mattress, did you find it strengthened your back or you became less susceptible to back injuries?
I don't know as it makes you less susceptiible to injury but it will help a bad back. Prior to my back injury in Jan. 2000 I slept on a water bed but within a couple years of the injury I bought a California King Serta Back Saver that I could use in the water bed frame. I still have chronic back pain but I sleep better and at least most mornings when I wake up the pain level is tolerable. I have also found in my case sleeping on my back instead of side or stomach helps. The worst thing I found about a very firm mattress is that it puts pressure on the hip joints and causes pain there when I do lay on my side. Most mornings I wake up on my back in the same position as I went to sleep in.

As an anecdote, I used to tweak my back several times per year. Since getting my firm(er) memory foam mattress I haven't had an incident in years.

One interesting mattress luxury upgrade is nano, mini or micro coils, depending on who's marketing the mattress.

I used an online "mattress calculator" that interviews users with a lot of questions including back pain and other medical conditions then picks a mattress selecting from all the brands. It picked Serta Perfect Sleeper Elite which is their most expensive line, luckily the one they picked was on sale at Sam's Club for $200 off. I was skeptical using software to choose a mattress but I have to say this is the most comfortable mattress I ever had. I got it two years ago. Still extremely comfortable and easy to sleep on.

What's the difference between a $300 mattress and a $1300 mattress besides fancy looking outer material that you will never look at? What's the difference between an 8 inch or 15 inch thick mattress? What's the point of a pillow top?

bought a sleep-tech water bed about 40 yrs ago after laying on it in the store, i believe soma owns it now. it has individual tubes that fill to desired firmness + theres perimeter foam surround, the top zips shut + uses standard sheets + no heater as it has an insulated top over the tubes. i added water ONCE + it feels like it did when NEW!! best $$$ i ever spent!! a standard bed frame works but requires xtra support + being a handy DIY guy a couple of 2X4's on edge with some legs to the floor worked well on the cheep. the setup was around a thou back then!!

Last edited:
Replaced our last one after 5 years. It was a $1300 Simmons. Went with a Costco one this time and am very happy with it.

It took 20 years to get my mattress into a French Curve mattress. I can always find that spot that works for me that night.

What's the difference between a $300 mattress and a $1300 mattress besides fancy looking outer material that you will never look at? What's the difference between an 8 inch or 15 inch thick mattress? What's the point of a pillow top?
Based on what I learned, there are different materials that have different prices: spring, poly foam, latex, memory foam, etc, then there's the density of each layer and how many different types of layers you are getting.

Think of it in terms of suspension spring, you can make the same functioning suspension spring with thinner steel that is coiled steeper or a thicker steel that is coiled flatter. They behave the same when new but the cheaper one may sag sooner. Same goes for foam and mattresses. This is why an expert told me for the same construction mattress, heavier is better because they go with the more durable more expensive approach. It also means heavier people will likely wear out a cheap mattress faster.

Most likely for $300 you are getting all foam, and $1300 you are getting some combination of foam and spring and if you are lucky some memory foam on top. Also the $1300 mattress may have a showroom to try out and the $300 you need to mail order then "donate" or get stuck if you don't like it.

Back