Difference between a $200, $400 or $600 mattress?

I know you said no memory foam, but have you tried one?

We went with a Tuft and Needle (buy online, ship to home in a small box, 100 day trial) and LOVE it.
A seasonal tenant left a foam topper on the bed so I tried it out. You sink onto the foam making it hard to roll over or move. Way too soft. Need something firm.

Down here Matress firm has an outlet store. They gave us a heads up base with the purchase of a mattress. I think its a pretty good setup. We were into a king for about 800 bucks with the motorized base.

Previous bed was an online ordered bed in a box. That lasted one year, and wore out.

The one we got from mattress firm is hybrid coil so they call it.

Another consideration, and a big one, is the number and weight weight of the humans that will sleep on it. My wife and I are both fairly small. Combined weight only around 260 lbs. Lighter bodies can probably get away with a lower cost mattress, but multiple 250 lb plus bodies will definitely need more support. YMMV

A seasonal tenant left a foam topper on the bed so I tried it out. You sink onto the foam making it hard to roll over or move. Way too soft. Need something firm.
Foam eggshell toppers are mush and aren't representative of a full foam mattress. You can get some pretty firm foam mattresses

Have pricey bed upstairs, then I have a store brand $299 coil mattress with a solid wood box "spring" support under
in the Guest room where I sleep now.

That is a great mattress still going strong 25 yeas later. It has it think a 2" layer of dense foam with shredded rag over that, IIRC from the store cutaway. The $1700 queen in the upstairs master is a disaster. On the third pricey unit in 30 years!
One was S&F, now back to a Simmons - but they ain't what they used to be. Too much foam and poly over the coil bed. And the box spring is garbage and doesn't support PROPERLY the "individually pocketed' coils. Thing Sleeps HOT due to unnatural poly filaments. You only need a couple inches of that "comfort layer" stuff - not 6-8" !!! Mattress is over a foot tall or junk filling.

And always better off with garment industry shredded cotton/poly blend rag filler. instead of "space age" garbage.

We have a memory foam. It seems to work fine. I don't wake up sore in the morning.

As for sleep quality, I can sleep anytime, anywhere. I'm usually out before I hit the pillow anyway.

I can’t answer your exact question, but we just bought a Beautyrest similar to the one you linked except ours is the 13.5” “medium” version and we LOVE it. It’s quite firm, but has just the right amount of “give” to make it super comfortable.

Also too it kind of depends too on how big you are. If you’re 5’9” and 165 pounds an inexpensive mattress may work. But if you‘re 6’5” and 230 pounds like I am a $2,000 mattress works best.

Scott
I remember reading on mattress underground foam density matters a lot if you are 200lb or above, and you cannot tell by just sleeping on it as the foam may hold up well for a while and then collapse over time.

Also too it kind of depends too on how big you are. If you’re 5’9” and 165 pounds an inexpensive mattress may work. But if you‘re 6’5” and 230 pounds like I am a $2,000 mattress works best.

Scott
I don't think the price has much to do with weight. It's more at the construction. I am 6'1' and 240 and my $299 mattress is great
Because it's a proper classic design and not a foolish design; it is also the proper selected firmness for my weight. I would guess you could get a properly designed $2000 mattress, but I haven't seen any around here. They are all 14" high with way too many synthetic foam and polyfill layers. I have seen some pricey "organic" material mattresses, but I am not aware of a store nearby that sell them - we would have to take a road trip. Maybe for our NEXT one.

@atikovi I bought a new bed last November. Went to Mattress Firm, couldn't believe how crazy priced they were. I went to Macy's, they had some really good deals and from there I got a Serta Perfect Sleeper, very comfortable. You need to go in the store and try them out though, I didn't think there would be that big of a difference, but there was.

It was like $700-$800 for the one I chose, and it came with a free electric adjustable base and free delivery.

Again, way better prices at Macy's.

Just make sure you go in and try them out. I was surprised with a lot of beds when I tried them out. I didn't think I was so picky, and was glad I didn't just order one off the net.

Back