Difference between a $200, $400 or $600 mattress?

The solution is to find a local vendor who makes their own mattresses *in house*. Only then will you know what you are really getting.

A good vendor will show you a bare set of springs, explain what gauge of steel it is, and show the padding, and explain the differences to you. And no, it doesn't have to cost thousands to do it this way either.

Many mattresses now are one sided. so you won't even be able to flip it anymore.
Lucky to have a local mattress manufacturer. They have old fashioned dual sided mattress'. They have had my business for 20 years. Hawn Bedding in Kansas City

I bought the Casper foam mattress in a box from Costco a year or two ago.
Probably one of the best purchases I've made in many years.

After probably 20 years sleeping on the same mattress (that I do flip every 6 months or so) and having a sore back every morning for months, I need to get a replacement. Just need a conventional firm spring style full size mattress. Nothing with memory foam or fancy pillow top. Copied a few examples. Is there much difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones?

$160 https://www.mattressfirm.com/basic-8-25-firm-innerspring-mattress/5637163800.p
$185 https://sleephappens.com/collection...per-reedley-firm-mattress?variant=33959463052
$285 https://www.mattressfirm.com/rest-9-5-firm-innerspring-mattress/5637163768.p
$300 https://www.mattressfirm.com/essentials-sudley-8-5-firm-mattress/5637152508.p
$380 https://www.mattressfirm.com/perfect-sleeper-elkins-ii-10-firm-mattress/5637157941.p
$585 https://www.mattressfirm.com/br800-11-25-firm-mattress/5637157626.p
After sleeping on the same mattress for 20 years any new one will feel great.
How could you put up with a sore back for months with out getting a new mattress?
Buy the best one you can afford.

How could you put up with a sore back for months with out getting a new mattress?
+1
The torture some put themselves thru to save a few bucks
:(

I'm sure OP has a healthy retirement fund in the works.
After that, he'll sleep soundly on his pallets of $100 bills
:sleep:

Last edited:
You are correct and even the $160 mattress would be an improvement. I wouldn't mind spending $400 or $500 if it was actually better and not just a prettier fabric. Wasn't sure the sore back was from the mattress or over exertion.

Lucky to have a local mattress manufacturer. They have old fashioned dual sided mattress'. They have had my business for 20 years. Hawn Bedding in Kansas City
We have three from Hawn in our house. Our queen latex mattress is still going strong after 18+ years.

You should definitely go to a mattress store and lay on all of them to find that out. You may find out that you like pillow tops or memory foam, or maybe you won't care for it. Sleeping like a baby is definitely worth taking the time to find out what mattresses you like.
Don't you really need to sleep on it to really tell? I'm not sure just lying on one for a few minutes can tell you how well you back will feel in the morning.

Some wise sage said to never go cheap on things that go between you and the ground - shoes, tires, and mattresses.
Coffins too?

Atikovi, I am large framed, over 6ft, with proportional weight. My wife is just under 6ft. For years we slept on conventional box spring mattress combos. Then I discovered the air bladder mattress. These are similar to the Sleep Number air bed but without the fancy price and you assemble it yourself out of a box. The key is getting a quality foam box and envelope to hold the bladders and a good quality air pump. The great thing about these beds is there are no springs to fatique, sag, or become loose or bent. In the 15 plus years we have had it, I had one bladder develop a small leak and I blew a hose on the air pump. The bladder was replaced under warranty, and surgical hose fixed the blown one. The other great thing is the bed is cool to the touch and sleep unlike memory foam beds. The the envelope is made from durable bamboo fiber. Each side is independent so you can adjust the firmness via the air pump and pressure. Warning, they are not inexpensive, but for me amortizing the cost over each of ownership makes them affordable. I keep my side completely filled to the max and it is super firm for my liking. Here is a link where you can learn more.

Good Luck and I hope you find something that suits your needs.

Last edited:
Don't you really need to sleep on it to really tell? I'm not sure just lying on one for a few minutes can tell you how well you back will feel in the morning.

Coffins too?
... and a variety of other things I suppose. As far as a coffin, I hope they put me in the cheapest thing they can get!

a $25 sheet of 1/2” plywood from lowes underneath fixed my sagging, ten year old, $600 mattress. when i move in a year or so i will ditch the old mattress, keep the plywood and buy a $200 replacement mattress at my new location.

This is an AWESOME mattress. Adjust the firmness anyway that you want, wife can have one side her way and you have your side another.
Had it about 5 years now. After decades of trying, looking at and buying mattresses, (all price ranges) which always seemed good for a couple years until the "sag" started and the associated back aches.
Best part about this mattress is that it can NEVER sag, cant say enough about it. VERY well made, I assume that still holds true.
They have other options as well, we went with this and added our own memory foam type topper figuring that way if the top every wears out or compresses we just replace the top because the bed itself will never sag.
Never had ANY reliability issues with the two electronic controls and pump (which is VERY robust)
I see like anything the price has gone up, there are other sizes on Sams Club website. I much preferred this company over the Sleep Number mattresses.

Dear Mom called mattresses, "a blind item", as they're covered with fabric; as furniture often is.

I 'd have a lot to learn. I've always heard to "just get the firmest mattress you can afford". Mushy, gushy mattresses are anathema to me.

Also, don't overlook your own physical condition. Lotsa out of shape people out there and if there's one thing I've learned in this commercialized world, it's that there are no Wonder Mattresses or Wonder Pillows which rejuvenate. Likely a mattress' quality requirements is related to the weight of the user.

I know you said no memory foam, but have you tried one?

We went with a Tuft and Needle (buy online, ship to home in a small box, 100 day trial) and LOVE it.

Back