Mattress 10 year rule?

What’s your take on replacing your mattress every 10 years. Is that a time frame made up by the mattress industry or is that the time usually the inner mattress starts to break down?

I bought my current mattress in 2013 and I just noticed the center of the queen doesn’t feel as firm as the sides. I’m single and sleep in the middle. I think I paid under $1K for it back then. I have a platform bed so I don’t need a box spring. The Mattress is one side only and I been giving it a 180 every six months. Thought?

If the mattress is still holding up and remains comfortable enough then I keep them as long as possible. Just keep an eye out for fiberglass on memory foam style mattresses.

I'd say 10 years is a pretty good run, but I wouldn't necessarily throw out a mattress I was still very happy with just because it was 10 years old. That said, if I was having back pain, not sleeping well, or noticed something like what you mentioned, I'd start shopping. I'd probably look at the Memorial Day sales and pick something then if I wasn't satisfied with mine. I got a Serta Perfect Sleeper last Memorial Day from MattressFirm for half of their (likely inflated, so it can be marked down frequently) MSRP, plus I used a $100 coupon. That made the (supposedly $1000) queen mattress around $450 after tax.

You can still have a bad mattress when it looks good. I paid through the nose for a Tempur-pedic Grand and I’ve had it for like’ 20+ years. To look at it you wouldn’t see anything wrong, but it definitely sags, and it contributed to my deformed spine.

ours is 9 years old now and definitely it is time for a new one

we check the prices last weekend and they are unbelievably expensive; latest model king size by Tempurpedic for $5500

others are not far off, averaging $3K for a mattress

After years of using inner spring mattresses my wife and I made the switch to an air bed mattress. No we did not buy the name brand national brand we bought a clone by essentially buying all of the components seperately at 1/3 of the cost. The great thing about an air bed is that you can make it really firm or soft or somewhere in between via the air pressure in the chambers. There is no box spring so you are open to many platform design bed frames and furniture. The envelope or foam framed container that holds the chambers is replaceable seperately if you feel the foam is breaking down or if it becomes stained.

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO CONVENTIONAL INNER SPRING MATTRESS!

What’s your take on replacing your mattress every 10 years. Is that a time frame made up by the mattress industry or is that the time usually the inner mattress starts to break down?

I bought my current mattress in 2013 and I just noticed the center of the queen doesn’t feel as firm as the sides. I’m single and sleep in the middle. I think I paid under $1K for it back then. I have a platform bed so I don’t need a box spring. The Mattress is one side only and I been giving it a 180 every six months. Thought?
I far exceeded the 10 year rule and can say without a doubt that over the last few years not sleeping well. I purchased a new mattress from Sam's club and it's literally night and day.

My wife began complaining about our old mattress that I had for 12 years. She said it had begun sagging. We ended up getting a half price deal on a floor model Beauty Rest at Mattress Firm. I think I paid about $600 out the door. Loaded it up on the truck and drove it home. They picked up the old mattress as part of the deal.

In 1978, I bought a new foam mattress because the ancient innerspring mattress my late landlady provided was uncomfortably lumpy. I've slept on the same foam mattress ever since, and have no problems with it.
When I visited that landlady's daughter in 2021, she put me on the same mattress that was already old when I first encountered it in 1972.
So, no, you don't have to replace them every 10 years.

this one go to go, about 9y old if that

IMG_4097.jpeg

for some time I was complaining about my hips and shoulders being in pain; I attest it going to the gym and being active; after a couple of months paying a close attention to my problem, I ruled its the mattress!

Mine turns 10 in a couple of months. Can't remember the brand, but it was higher end from Mattress Firm at around $1,200. The claim to fame on this mattress was that the springs are l pre-compressed to prevent sag, but there's a nice ditch down the middle of it that's starting to get uncomfortable. I dread this purchase, because I'm not doing another inner spring and everything else is big bucks.

Keep one thing in mind, laying on a naked mattress in a store---having no fitted sheet, will feel different.

Latex mattresses have the longest lifespans. Few people buy a real latex mattress as they are very expensive. They have a different feel and do not confuse it with a memory foam mattress.

Take one for the team, buy a sativa mattress and report back.

There was a rumor that Matress Firm was some sort of cartel money laundering scheme. The would literally have 2 right across from each other and neither one ever had business but they never close down.
Funny you should write that. There is a new Mattress Firm in my town and right next to it is a barber shop. I assumed the barbershop was doing all the laundering because it's a cash business and there are an R8 and a Hellcat parked outside now and then with barbershop magnetic logos on their doors.

I have a sterns and foster king for about 8 years the wife is starting her complaints so I guess we will start looking. The thing weighs a ton I remember when I bought it from Sears the delivery guys were struggling I had to pitch in. To turn it is a big pain for me.

I bought at mattress factory. Bought at sears on the 60+30 sale (ie 72% off the massively inflated price)

Next one will be sams club or costco.

We have an old, hand me down mattress, but on top of that, the last several years we have been sleeping on costco memory foam. Most evenings I groan in pleasure as I lie down. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was, compared to before. If someone was considering buying a new mattress, I would advocate paying a fraction of the price of a new mattress, and see how a 3-4 inch memory foam top layer would feel.

Back