Who buys a new mattress every 8 yrs or so?

How do you get rid of an old one?
It generally depends where you live, and who is in charge of disposal in your area. In our town the service company who takes care of garbage disposal, (Republic Services), allows up to 3 "special pickups" per year on a non commercial home account. (More than that and you have to pay extra). They will take old furniture, water heaters, beds and mattresses, etc.

The other option is to take it to the local dump in your area yourself... (Which I try to avoid because of getting nails and screws in my tires).

We replace when they wear out. My parents are still using the same one they have had since I was 2. I only switched mattresses twice once when I graduated from a twin bed to a full bed then that mattress was used and way too soft for me. I like a nice firm mattress so I got one I think 4 years ago now at the furniture place. Firm mattress is good for my back.

Sam’s Club does white glove delivery, unpacks the new mattress and set it up on the bed, and hauls away the old mattress.

My bed holds around 450 lbs and got "the dip" in the middle.

Got one of those mail order mattresses where you cut the string and it explodes into the bedroom.

Best $300 I ever spent.

My old fashioned full-sized, house-brand matress - with just a couple inches of foam and rag - is doing great after 25 years.
All of the giant stacks of foam hybrid garbage matresses are junk after a year or two.
You don't need over 3-5" of foam and rag padding, or your spring construction is no good. Polyseter fill is garbage.
And that short life is with no boingy-boingy going on.
Sadly, Simmons ain't what they used to be in the 70's.
-Ken

Back