Who buys a new mattress every 8 yrs or so?

I did a search and didn't see anything specific on this. Just was wondering who actually changes out their mattress? We changed ours out after 19yrs. Went from a spring to a memory foam. My mom still has the one her and dad had when I was growing up and I'm 55. When I go home I sleep in the bed I grew up on, same mattress.

It seems there is a mattress sale going on year round. LOL At least here, they have a sign out all the time.

We don't but we also know they don't last forever (some people seem to think they do !!). We used to flip/rotate our mattress to spread out the wearing on it but our current one has a (thin) pillowtop so we can only rotate it.

I think it depends on whether it is for daily usage and the weight it has to support.

We replaced ours after close to 20 years of daily usage. I saw that it started caving in.

We bought a hybrid memory foam top with spring underneath, it seems to hold up due to the stiffness of memory foam.

Nowadays, mattress are relatively cheap, it can be replaced every 8-10 years economically.

We don't but we also know they don't last forever (some people seem to think they do !!). We used to flip/rotate our mattress to spread out the wearing on it but our current one has a (thin) pillowtop so we can only rotate it.

I get my mattresses from a local shop, that makes them on the site. They'll gladly build me a traditional one that can be flipped and spun. It really doesn't cost any more. A queen set that they say will realistically last for 10-15 years (that I got over 20 years out of) is $800 for a set.

Reactions: JC1
I get my mattresses from a local shop, that makes them on the site. They'll gladly build me a traditional one that can be flipped and spun. It really doesn't cost any more. A queen set that they say will realistically last for 10-15 years (that I got over 20 years out of) is $800 for a set.

Can you provide the name of the shop???

In my experience, spring mattresses for me with my 200+ pounds or with a girlfriend and another 125+ pounds or so would wear out even with the rotating after about 10 years. Obvious indentations and less support. After 2 iterations of this I tired of it.

I bought a memory, Serta I believe, in 2007. Around $800. It's in excellent condition with no obvious indents anywhere and still supports like new. I love it and it's the best mattress I've ever experienced. At 14 years old, that amortizes to about $60 per year, or 15 cents per day for use/ownership. It's warrantied for 10 years, but I suspect now at 14 and no issues, I should get at least 20 years and maybe 25-30 of use at this rate.

One tip to extend life is to use a mattress cover between it and the sheet, as it keeps the mattress cleaner. And rotate it in all directions at least annually.

Not really on point, but mattress quality becomes a secondary or tertiary concern for men when your prostrate gland hits the 50 year old mark and it causes you to wake up throughout the night to go to the restroom. If a fancy new mattress could alleviate that, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

I am on vacation and the king size bed they have kills my back because you sink into it too deep. I like firm mattresses.
The condo we stayed in for our last vacation had what my wife said they called a queen but I swear it was a full ! We have a king-size at home so we're used to a LOT more space. It seemed like a single person used it normally and slept in the middle as it was very worn out, where you'd both end up rolling towards the center.

Our mattress is also very firm and my wife was very much against it so I had to use the "we have a X-day trial period, so give it a shot". The next morning she said she never slept so comfortably in her life. ;) Our kids think our mattress is too hard and my wife will give them the sales pitch as to why a firm mattress is probably better for them (though really not so much of an issue at their age).

Does sleeping on a soft worn out mattress increase your likelihood of back injuries? Or in other words, for those that bought a new firm mattress, did you find it strengthened your back or you became less susceptible to back injuries?

I have a soft king downstairs that is actually medium to firm, and upstairs a memory foam cheapy that was super firm.. I cut up and put an old 3" topper on it and its soft but I sleep like a rock.. so for me.. both types are ok.. just not the worn out kind where you are in a sinkhole and roll to the center.

6'2" ~~200lb side sleeper 90% of the time.

Does sleeping on a soft worn out mattress increase your likelihood of back injuries? Or in other words, for those that bought a new firm mattress, did you find it strengthened your back or you became less susceptible to back injuries?
Not sure if there's any proof or studies that show they will prevent injuries other than the fact that a "proper" mattress should keep your back healthier. A healthier back should be less susceptible to injuries but they can still happen.

A couple years ago, we went to Florida and had to use an air mattress for our younger daughter. She wanted to sleep in the bed with my wife so I used the air mattress. Never again.... I drove home 900 miles with the heated seat on the whole way. It didn't get better at home and got to the point I even tried a (quack) chiropractor. That did absolutely nothing either. How did I solve it ? I slept on the floor for 3-4 days ! My wife enjoyed having the entire bed and teased me like "you should really make sure your back is okay by sleeping on the floor a little longer". 😂

We have the Costco Queen size mattresses. Our main mattress might be 20 years old and is perfect. I think it is on the firm side.
We do use a mattress pad. The one I have now has plastic because my cats....

I used to have to replace our mattress every 5 to 7 years. No matter what we spent it was the same story. They just wouldn't hold up, and we ended up with backaches no matter how many times we rotated or flipped it.

Then we bought a Tempur-Pedic, and that was 10 years ago, and we never looked back. It's worth every penny we paid for it. I would never spend another penny on a spring coil mattress again.

Used to love my old mushy spring box and mattress growing up. Latest is 14" tempur + added a 4" costco memory topper on it ...like sleeping on a marshmallow cloud. Topper is important to maximize contact surface area and dispersing pressure points.

I formed back problems by sleeping on both, too hard and too soft. The hard ones hurt my joints, my hips, my knees, my back. The soft ones where a sinkhole forms offers no back support and causes me to wake up with unbelievably sore back. The soft ones don't provide enough, say, leverage, when with your significant other and makes that a real task as well.

My memory foam is firm but yields to my body. I absolutely love it. It provides excellent support, and "leverage" while also being a great cushion for the body. HIGHLY recommend memory foam for the comfort and longevity - again mine is 14 years old and feels new and I suspect I'll get another decade or more out of it.

Back