Made the "switch" from M1 to Valvoline Synthetics

I wonder if someone is going to argue the timing chain being quieter in my brothers tracker after putting Vavoline 50W Racing Moly fortified. I can tell you it was a lot quieter after switching to that oil.

Both M1 and Vavoline are great brands of oil. I believe with 100% certainty the BITOG member being able to tell a noticeable difference in noise just by switching brands. I don't believe it's a "placebo effect".

Something similar is when I switched from Shell Rotela to Motul 300 in my KTM 300 transmission, to Motul Trans expert in my Beta or from Yamalube to Motul 7100 in my Super Tenere. The difference in shifting was night and day improvement in terms of gear engagement smoothness and no missed shifts. It was not perceived but actual immediate improvement.

In certain circumstances I choose to use a more expensive better quality oil and they do not disappoint.

Any good mechanic worth his/her sand will always use the human senses to help determine an issue or improvement in a vehicles performance. I don't know any automotive techs that have DB meters in their toolbox for diagnosing.
LOL you see there is always room for improvement!

I see you didnt read my response to you earlier. It’s also pretty clear you don’t work or study in a field of science or engineering. So I wish you luck on your hearing adventures. May you always find the quietest oils.
Show us your chops. I challenged you to design a recording methodology. I am ready to critique it.
A hint - no, just employing a decibel meter wont do.

- Ken

Show us your chops. I challenged you to design a recording methodology. I am ready to critique it.
A hint - no, just employing a decibel meter wont do.

- Ken
(y) A myriad of sensors are available to engineering types. Concerning competitive production oils, measurements and differences can be had if one or a group develop and accomplish controlled tests. It's really not that difficult. In fact, it's been done and a link has been provided concerning said tests in this thread already. :)

Older thread, but Valvoline 75w 90 synthetic, for non synchronized transmissions. This is what I read on the bottle/bag.

Let me clarify, I mean specifically changing from brand to brand in the same oil weight. The issue with changing oil is that your pouring out used oil and pouring in fresh oil. So an immediate change in noise cannot be attributed solely to a brand change.
Good point. I always hear new oil being quieter after an oil change. I suppose the hearing reference point for engine noise is daily driving since the last oil change, and is stored in the brain. When the oil is changed, my old stored reference point is compared to the new oil sound.
We can “hear” sounds previously stored in our mind. This is the most amazing thing. There is no sound but we can think of the sound. Think of maybe a deceased mother or somone close. I can hear the voice in my mind.
So we are dealing with memories of sounds, with internet searching and bias thrown in, which then leads to another disruptive testosterone battle for who is right and is king of the pack. 😺

You know, you might be right, i need GL4 according to specs. Yep I should've known it wasn't that easy dealer made it sound like no problem use any 75W90 lol.
Just use this: https://www.amazon.com/Motul-Gear300-75w90-Synthetic-Liter/dp/B005UGKJCS

It's meant for manual transmissions and differentials/transaxles. It's formulated for GL4 and GL5 applications. It's very good stuff.

1648655466898.jpg

I use Valvoline as well. Never an issue and can't find one bad UOA on this forum from it.

Way back in 2006 I had an F150 with the 5.4. The cab was crazy quiet. I couldn't hear the engine and could barely hear the exhaust inside.

It was clear as day that at 3,000 miles on Mobil 1 synthetic that I could start to hear this noise, almost like white noise static, coming from the heads. I tried various oils over the 60,000 miles I owned it since new, including Redline and Valvoline Syn, the old SynPower. Of all the oils, only Redline and SynPower would go to 5,000 with no discernible noise from the engine. Due to Redline not being API certified, I chose SynPower.

I now have a 2022 Toyota GR86. I drained the factory fill at 2,000 miles just the other day and put in Valvoline EP 0w-20. There's absolutely no question it sounds better. In fact, there was a strange noise at idle that sound almost like a cartoon phaser gun or something. That noise is gone. When cold, the heads have a slight knock sound which dealer says is totally normal, and it's better, too.

I don't know why some people say you can't hear differences in engine sounds with different oils. To me it's obvious and I feel like people who say I cannot hear a difference are morons.

Way back in 2006 I had an F150 with the 5.4. The cab was crazy quiet. I couldn't hear the engine and could barely hear the exhaust inside.

It was clear as day that at 3,000 miles on Mobil 1 synthetic that I could start to hear this noise, almost like white noise static, coming from the heads. I tried various oils over the 60,000 miles I owned it since new, including Redline and Valvoline Syn, the old SynPower. Of all the oils, only Redline and SynPower would go to 5,000 with no discernible noise from the engine. Due to Redline not being API certified, I chose SynPower.

I now have a 2022 Toyota GR86. I drained the factory fill at 2,000 miles just the other day and put in Valvoline EP 0w-20. There's absolutely no question it sounds better. In fact, there was a strange noise at idle that sound almost like a cartoon phaser gun or something. That noise is gone. When cold, the heads have a slight knock sound which dealer says is totally normal, and it's better, too.

I don't know why some people say you can't hear differences in engine sounds with different oils. To me it's obvious and I feel like people who say I cannot hear a difference are morons.
I like how we get to state that those who might actually be looking for scientific data (like sound samples, contrasted in software that would allow us to see the difference, for example) are the ones construed as morons.

Time to toss the DynoJet in the dumpster! We've got Bubba's big 'ol plump butt dyno to judge our gains by! We can have Beuford sniff the exhaust and throw out that stupid wideband too.

Well, I have had the Mobil 1 EP 5w30 in the sump for several days now and I can't tell any difference. No increased noise at all on the Mobil. Purrs like a kitten.

Seems to me valvoline pcmo has given up using group 4 or 5 and is now group 3 only. That seems to me a monetary vs performance decision.

Back