Made the "switch" from M1 to Valvoline Synthetics

Short Thread, I got cheap is all that happened here :ROFLMAO: $23.97 for Valvoline full synthetic 5Qt vs 29.84 for M1. As much as i love M1 i don't think it and offers five dollars+ more protection, per OCI, (that almost pays for the OEM Hyundai oil filter) so Valvoline it is for now. Its for the Hyundai/Kia 2.4L coupe that's far from picky on oil, so as long as it clean-ish and full... The last time I used Valvoline synthetic oil was an honest 15 years ago, but it never let me down, i also used Valvoline maxlife ATF red recently for the Elantra automaitic transmission, and it shifted perfect.
The perception I have on Valvoline is it's meant for old vehicles and it's kind of thick lol but im probably wrong it's just I remember that name when I first started driving, and was equivalent to a Band-Aid in a bottle for older vehicles.
Also going to change the manual transmission fluid before i put in Amsoil. So i will drain and fill transmission using the Valvoline 75W90 synthetic fluid. use for a few days until amsoil gets here, and change it again.. I called Kia dealer, and they dont have qts of 75W90, and told me just to go to autostore, and pick up 75W90 GL-4, and change it out, no special fluid required so thats what i did.
Don't get me wrong this is not a bashing thread of M1, I will still pay the premium and use it in the Sonata, and change it twice a year about every 6-7K miles per OCI. I will also change the coupes oil twice a year, but i might only have 3-5K miles on the OCI.. and OEM Hyundai filters are what i use now thanks to BITOG. :)
Thats where im at this am. :coffee:
IMG_0256.jpeg

Sounds reasonable enough to me!

In all honesty I think the only thing really separating these off the shelf major brands is price, why pay more unless you’re absolutely convinced one is better than the other? And measurably so.

In years past Quaker State was the recommended oil brand from Hyundai. Now that would be a money saver.

I believe M1 uses superior base oil, however the reality is Valvoline is also a high quality oil as most are these days. I just picked up Valvoline Synthetic 5w30 for my mothers GMC Terrain 2.4 as it was on sale.

I just recently switched to M1 after using Pennzoil Platinum in my Accord since purchase, but might re-evaluate at some point if price keeps going up.

its quite likely that most fake synthetic oils of the same viscosity are very similar + only the rice + marketing differ as they must meet the advertised spec

my old jeep ran nothing but valvoline. it's still running to this day with original engine @ 530K second transmission, second rear axle, rebuilt front countless times. but that 4.0 just keeps going.
worry not about the oil. with the jeep while i owned it it was changed every 5K miles. i'm not sure what my son changes it at now. i suspect close to 5K. he's put 150k ish miles on it.
my friend from high school used M1 only and his crx only mad 160K miles before needing rings.

It's probably good to switch things up among the major synthetics. That way the engine gets different additive packages. Use one for a few intervals then change it up. Kind of interesting to see if you notice any differences between the different brands. Like how quiet the engine is with a certain one.

I like Valvoline and I usually use it even if here it's not so famous. Price/quality sometimes is really good (performance, base oil quality, price etc). Anyway M1 is different pov, it's one of bosses, Valvoline buy from bosses.

Also going to change the manual transmission fluid before i put in Amsoil. So i will drain and fill transmission using the Valvoline 75W90 synthetic fluid. use for a few days until amsoil gets here, and change it again.
Saving $6 by switching from Mobil1 to Valvoline…running Valvoline MT synthetic for a short change then dumping it for Am$oil :unsure:. All of these brands are high quality but, but, but…! Is it me or is your logic all over the map?

Back