Lost a car today

Its a horrible thing to get a phone call saying one of your family has been in a car wreck. Glad your daughter is okay, I bet she is a bit sore after flipping it, and trying to hang on. Getting back on the horse may cause some anxiety.

So glad she's ok.

Those Camrys are tough. My great-aunt fell asleep at the wheel driving from Phoenix to San Diego in 2011, in her 2002 Camry. Cruise control set at 80 mph, they estimate she flipped it like 9-10 times and hit a giant boulder. She came out without a scratch. Some random bruises showed up a couple days later is all.

And don't beat yourself up over the tires. They probably gripped with confidence until conditions changed. A lesser, or better, tire would have given the same feedback just at different speeds.

She wasn't too sore afterwards. One bruise? not sure if that was from the seatbelt or the steering wheel--she's short and sits dangerously close to the wheel. I think all our other vehicles have telescoping wheels so they should be a hair better in getting a good fit for her.

She took the newly-fixed CRV to school today. If she had any apprehension about driving we don't know about it. I'm glad as the amount of driving was getting old--I was driving her to school in the morning, 20min each way. Then take my son to school and me to work--1:15 or so each way. 3 hours a day driving plus 8 or so at work? Took a personal day and slept in today (didn't help that I got both a covid booster and flu shot this week and reacted to them, so zero good sleep this week).

I didn't budget for yet another car this year but I think this qualifies as an event that allows me to tap into the emergency fund. Once I figure out what to get that is--wife and I think we might want to get another CUV as a backup to the CRV we already have.

Glad your daughter is OK. Too bad about the car, but it's only a car. I don't know many young drivers that get away accident free. It's a hard lesson, but an important one. How many times do we tell them to "be careful!?" now they know what we mean. Driving is serious business.

And thanks for the comment about the age of the tires. I have a set of snows that look good, but are getting old (7 years). I have been trying to decide to run them or replace them. I think I'll replace them.(y)

Back