Lost a car today

I'm glad everyone's okay. I rolled a car once, my heart didn't slow down for a few days. In my experience the pick n pull will give you more money for the car than the scrap yard will, and I save any good stuff like batteries, gas, or tires that I can. Does it still run? You could try and sell it as a parts car or engine+transmission if there's not much mechanical damage.
Pull n pay isn't paying much. $100-$120.a ton

Glad she is OK, as everyone said, cars can be replaced.

I always tear up just reading these as mine are 20 and 23. I cringe when I know they are out around the area and we get MVA calls at the firehouse as I also drive the ambulance.

@JTK - check my posts regarding streetsurvival.org if you haven't for the kids.

@supton -PM me if interested. Maybe not in price range but maybe for you and then you pass yours on. Co-worker has a '20 Elantra SE with 5000 miles on it, wants $14k which Carvana was going to give him but doesn't want to deal with the title being is in his Mother-in-laws name even though NY says no issue. She had passed back in September. 1 owner, 6 OCI's at dealer (every 6 months).

Glad to hear she's OK! Cars are replaceable, and this one seems to have done the job of protecting its occupant.

I feel for you man. When my son wrecked his truck last October of 22 I was in Las Vegas. We heard at 1130 the night it happened, we were at the hospital 12 hours later.

I am glad your daughter is alright. I have never been so sick in my entire life.
I have not shared this here before, but this is what I was greeted with. I am so blessed my kid is alive. My old A** would have been dead.

Hope seeing this help ease your pain a bit. It sucks, but your kid is ok. And just like the pile below a 2000 Camry is just that too. Easily replaced.

View attachment 191518
I'm super tall, that would have killed me for sure. I'm glad your son made it.

Just plain wow on that damage.

I'm super tall, that would have killed me for sure. I'm glad your son made it.

Just plain wow on that damage.
He lucked out. Some stiches and a little back pain. He is fine now. His injury was on the side of his head. Tons of blood all over the truck.
When I went to sign the title over the driver who picked the truck up at the scene asked about a funeral. I said there won't be one. He is at home watching Sponge Bob. He had went off the road on a 90 degree turn, rolled down an embankment, and hit a parked car.

Funny to note as my Submarine came out...The accident happened on Thursday, Monday he went to the doctor to get the drain out of his head. Doctor said it is nice out, get him out side to work the soreness out. I got home from work that day and he was outside playing with his remote control truck my exact words were as follows "You better put that one up, you are not allowed to drive that either." I still let him play with it, but we both chuckled. I am not a religious man, but I thank God he is here everyday. The people whos property it happened on were so nice, so gracious. We went to see them after the accident because they didn't want their last vision of the event to be a kid laying on the ground passed out and bleeding out.

Again so glad to see Supton's daughter was not hurt and he was able to be there for her. Who cares about the car or what it is worth? It was a 2000 Camry, much like the boy's 97 Silverado, not worth much, not exciting and old. To be honest whose cares if were a Ferrai. You can replace just about any of that stuff. You can't replace people or your kids. In both cases there will be no lasting affects from these accidents which is just as important for a young person.

Last edited:
Wow! Glad she is OK.

Give her something funny related to the roll over. When a family member hit a bear and cub, a week later, I sent over a recipe for bear stew. It was a great way to ease her mind and help her move on. Funny, a bit crass and a good tactic to deal with the excrement life throws at ya!

Your daughter is okay and you can thank God for that. The car is just a replaceable thing. All will be OK.
The Camry, possibly wearing a seatbelt preventing her from being ejected, along w/medical treatment is what saved her life. Let's give credit where it actually exists.

Glad she was alright. Old snow tires don't have the right properties of new ones to be beneficial in snow. Five year old snow tires stored anywhere where it gets hot in the summer need to go in to the trash.JMHO
There were getting older but not stored in a hot place, meant to check their softness but they were definitely aging out. BUT school cancels at the drop of a hat, have seen them cancel due to rain. 2 hour delay today. Temps never got below freezing last night.

Hindsight... I've been thinking of replacing, but didn't think she'd driving much in the snow either. I would have rocked them for another winter without a thought. I had been thinking of swapping cars with her... would a car with VSC "saved the day" here? hard to say. Would the softer (and very new) RT43's done better on what was surely some slush packed into ice? Never will know.

Now I've got to decide if I hit up Tire Rack for a set of snows and rims for the CRV--was never able to find a decent set of used rims for that thing.

Shoot--just realized--I just lost the rims that go to the new Camry. :( I couldn't do a tire rotation the other day because I didn't have those lying around, now I'll never have them around. [Wife refuses to get snows, don't bother going there, I keep losing.] Back to rim shopping.

Geez, now I've lost 2 Camry's in the same number of years. No wonder insurance on them is so high.

There were getting older but not stored in a hot place, meant to check their softness but they were definitely aging out. BUT school cancels at the drop of a hat, have seen them cancel due to rain. 2 hour delay today. Temps never got below freezing last night.

Hindsight... I've been thinking of replacing, but didn't think she'd driving much in the snow either. I would have rocked them for another winter without a thought. I had been thinking of swapping cars with her... would a car with VSC "saved the day" here? hard to say. Would the softer (and very new) RT43's done better on what was surely some slush packed into ice? Never will know.

Now I've got to decide if I hit up Tire Rack for a set of snows and rims for the CRV--was never able to find a decent set of used rims for that thing.

Shoot--just realized--I just lost the rims that go to the new Camry. :( I couldn't do a tire rotation the other day because I didn't have those lying around, now I'll never have them around. [Wife refuses to get snows, don't bother going there, I keep losing.] Back to rim shopping.

Geez, now I've lost 2 Camry's in the same number of years. No wonder insurance on them is so high.
Of course we will never know. I can tell you that I had the RT43's on my wife's Hyunda Santa Fe XL (AWD) and they were quite satisfactory in the snow. I know-not exactly apples to apples comparison.

I am very glad to hear that your daughter came through this just fine. We all worry about our kids and they often don't understand this, but they will, as will she, once she bears you a grandchild.
The car appears to have done a good job of protecting her from serious injury while being destroyed in the process, just as it was designed to do.

When everyone settles down in the Supton family it will be a blessing to have a conversation with an uninjured daughter about what went wrong and how she ended up upside-down. The inclement weather learning curve can be harsh.

Did you get all the cats off the car? One was hanging on the trunk for dear life.

Mr. Supton:

A very Merry Christmas to you and your wife, your daughter, and all of us BITOGERs.

To your daughter because she got an early gift of being able to walk away from an accident that some people don’t walk away from.

To you and your wife because you both get to celebrate Christmas with her.

And to the BITOG community because Supton’s post puts reality right in front of us; there are far more important things in our lives than UOAs, thick versus thin, best OCI, best oil ever,…………

I know. It’s hard for some of you to believe that, but…………Merry Christmas

Back