Looking at a 2019 Subaru Ascent 2.4t

So, would to replace my wife's 2010 CR-V.

It has everything I don't like:
1.GDI
2. TURBO
3. CVT

Talk me off the ledge.... This has 100k miles on it.

I know that the 3 things I listed are pretty much across the board on anything less than 10 years old.

What is the collective wisdom? Does Subaru use jatco CVTs? Do they blow up, assuming this thing has had 0 or minimal maintenance.

I have not yet seen it in person, what do you Subie guys think of these?

Thanks

Does Subaru use jatco CVTs? Do they blow up, assuming this thing has had 0 or minimal maintenance.
No, IIRC, Subaru CVT are Fuji Heavy Industry built (Subaru). I bought my first Subaru thanks to a failed transmission, but the car has been good so far, I will be updating the thread soon. I agree with @skyactiv, avoid it, especially due to the fact it hasn't been maintained.

The Ascent's TR690 is supposed to use special CVT fluid SOA748V0300 that Subaru only sells by the 5-gallon bucket (costs around $500). There is a part number for a single quart bottle SOA635312 but it's not actually available. In order to change the fluid, you will need a scan tool that reads transmission temperature, and a flat surface (the car will need to be put on four jack stands if you don't have access to a lift). There is a good post on the Ascent Forum on teh Ascent's transmission.

The OE supplier for the CVT is JX Nippon (Eneos)

You might want to contact Valvoline and other suppliers to see if they OK their amber CVT fluid for the Ascent. If you do actually buy the 5-gallon bucket from Subaru, get a VOA done on it ;)

Alternatively, consider the Dodge Journey. No CVT, no turbo, no GDI :D

I have a 2021 with 32k, the CVT is a TR690 which has been in service for about 10 years in other subarus.

Things I like about the car: good power, good space, decent fuel economy, good highway cruiser very quiet

Things I dislike:
Brakes! the pads are awful they buildup on the rotors and create wicked vibrations, resurfaced them at 8k and replaced rotors at 27k.
CVT is an acquired taste that I still haven’t fully developed yet. I’d say it’s unpredictable but not awful.

The 2019 models were the bad ones for recalls which affected CVT longevity. Iirc it was a harness issue that didn’t put proper tension on CVT chain and caused it to eat itself. Easily rectified if caught in time.

Ask any other questions I’ll try to help, as I am an owner of a Honda and Subaru and have no brand allegiances, I like the Ascent but am in love with it probably not. I love my trusty and crusty CRV though.

Thanks guys!

I'd really like to avoid anything with a CVT... I just don't care for the rubber band feel, and the overall guarantee of a failure before 200k.

I'd like to avoid a turbo, as I've had plenty of experience with them and while they are great fun...not economical or great for the wife's car.

I'm quite sure pretty much any vehicle will have GDI at this point, I'll just stick with a 5-6k OCI with that.

1.GDI
2. TURBO
3. CVT

I know that the 3 things I listed are pretty much across the board on anything less than 10 years old.

What is the collective wisdom? Does Subaru use jatco CVTs? Do they blow up, assuming this thing has had 0 or minimal maintenance.

Thanks
STAY AWAY 🤬

1.GDI
2. TURBO
3. CVT

Thanks
STAY AWAY 🤬

Avoid that one. Brakes are a big issue on these. Most brakes don’t last past about 25K for these because the rotors get so bad. What Subaru didn’t realize when they released the Ascent (and now refuse to fix the issue despite it being widely known) is that a larger SUV would require larger brakes. The Ascent is based off the Forester they are identical suspension and brake and frame wise. Subaru failed to realize they need bigger brakes as a bigger SUV takes more to stop so it causes the brakes to overheat really easy and warp the rotors even if not braking on hills or anything just from normal driving they will overheat. You can’t really put bigger rotors on because then it will cause the stick on wheel weights to be hit when driving. I’m a Subaru/Toyota tech and that’s the main issue with these. They are prone to lots of electrical problems as well and CVT issues sometimes. But the brakes is the main thing and they won’t do anything to help you pay for them either despite it being something they overlooked.

If it was any other Subaru I’d say go for it but the Ascent from any year avoid because of the brake issues mainly. I love my Subarus but I’ve talked many people out of buying the Ascent.

An Outback or Forester is a direct replacement for a CRV, or do you need 7-8 seats now? A 2019 2.5i Outback doesn't have DI or a turbo, and if you squint, it looks like an Ascent and has almost the same interior of an Ascent, and rides like an Ascent.... I drove a 2019 Ascent and I found the CVT tuning to be near identical as my car as well.

Different animal, but a few years ago I was testing a civic 1.5t with the CVT. The marriage between those two was the best I’ve driven. It felt connected like a stick under cruise and yet did the CVT thing without feeling loosey-goosey. We have a CVT in the ‘14 crv and while it’s not my particular cup of tea, the car has been solid and my wife is not afraid to dart around in it. The one I’d eye for reliability would be the ford/toyota electric CVT version.

Back