Long trip: driving has changed

In my estimation, Americans have just about no lane discipline at all. Total disorganization, absentmindedness, and numbnuts-ism
Well spotted. And when they attempt to change lane and realize there is another car in their blind spot (since a hour), they rip the steering in a panic attack the opposite way causing a 17.342-car pileup. Could be a millenial thing.

Above: Correct about Germany. Truck top speed is 80 kph, and it is strictly forbidden to overtake on the right. Watch out for "end of overtaking sign" for trucks. That's what they wait for and come out, almost without warning. - Yet, they do look, but you may not be aware of the gap behind you, in the third lane where you better move to.

So, watch your mirrors. Every 3 seconds! (seriously). Autobahn is a race track. And after 2 hours, you are totally exhausted.

Left lane hogs seem to have different types:

1. The zoomer, who is going much faster than anyone else. These people I can tolerate.

2. The drifter: they move over for those who want to pass, stay in the right lane, but then stay in the left when the end up there later.

3. The holder: they do the speed limit, or less, and just don’t care who is behind them. I noticed 18 wheelers starting to become this person. Even when the right lane is completely empty

4. The polite holder: moves over, but shoots right back into the left lane after being passed.

I did a lot of driving Thanksgiving week and weekend throughout Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, and Indiana and the one thing I noticed on freeways with three or more lanes is that it seems like most people are using the left lane(s) by default leaving the right lane(s) wide open. It is almost as if these drivers have got it in their mind that being in the left lane is "better" and "faster" if they simply maintain their position there.

I feel like I was spending more time passing in the right lane(s) as a result, in fact I would go as far as saying that the right lane(s) have become the fast lane(s).

"The San Antonio"

- A driver who drives around with one brake light working out of three, or sometimes none.
- A driver who drives a crashed car with body panels flapping in the wind, usually with one smashed headlight.
- A driver with a pickup truck that is "moving" to a new apartment, and decided to load everything into the bed of the pickup with nothing strapped down.
- A diesel driver with no emissions controls on their car belching black smoke, so much that it is stopping traffic behind them.

The back bumper on my Cruze was scratched up when we bought it, I am thinking some dimwit with their cell phone in their face is likely to buy me a new one this winter.

I like highway driving since the pandemic, people are driving very fast and almost no construction issues I have faced between midwest to mountain west driving. I prefer to get to places quicker as long as I can do it safely.

you can prevent this by angling your side view mirrors to include your blind spot, I learned this 5 years ago, no issues with blind spots really.
Back when I first learned how to dive, my Dad taught me to set up the mirrors to overlap slightly and eliminate the blind spot. Yet somehow that doesn't make road leeches any less annoying. Or less dangerous, as not everyone sets up their mirrors like that. I showed my daughter & wife how but they refuse to do it that way. They, and I think many other drivers, prefer setting them up with blind spots.

Back when I first learned how to dive, my Dad taught me to set up the mirrors to overlap slightly and eliminate the blind spot. Yet somehow that doesn't make road leeches any less annoying. Or less dangerous, as not everyone sets up their mirrors like that. I showed my daughter & wife how but they refuse to do it that way. They, and I think many other drivers, prefer setting them up with blind spots.
They're annoying because they're unnecessarily occupying an escape route if you need to move out of the way of something. There's no reason for it, except to be annoying. I do whatever's necessary to get rid of these wads of gum when they want to hang out over my left or right shoulder. Usually just coasting encourages them to pass, but occasionally it takes dropping a couple of gears and putting the hammer down.

I will tell you pulling 32 feet of travel trailer fairly regularly has calmed me down, but I run a dash cam to record all the stupidity that takes place. I love if I can't get over into the left lane with the trailer to let someone merge and they get mad because I couldn't let them in. People just assume I am going to stand on the brakes for them so they can merge. I have seen people pull on to the highway without even looking. It isn't easy stopping 57 feet of truck and trailer, but people must think it is.

As many of you know-I have pulled (continue to pull) a travel trailer all around the country. I stay in the two right hand lanes at 65 mph (gas mpg gets even worse pulling 5,000 pounds if you exceed that speed) and let the idiots do what ever they do on the rest of the highway. I have even seen many towers pass me and then several miles ahead have a blow out on their trailer. ST tires just are not tough enough for higher sustained speeds. I have never had a blow out.......
You can get ST tires rated to 81 mph now. I have a set but rarely see over 60, might see 65 if I am on an open stretch of road like in Eastern Washington or Montana.

I will tell you pulling 32 feet of travel trailer fairly regularly has calmed me down, but I run a dash cam to record all the stupidity that takes place. I love if I can't get over into the left lane with the trailer to let someone merge and they get mad because I couldn't let them in. People just assume I am going to stand on the brakes for them so they can merge. I have seen people pull on to the highway without even looking. It isn't easy stopping 57 feet of truck and trailer, but people must think it is.
Looking through the list of cars you have in your signature, I think you understand the principles involved in entering a highway, and if my assumptions are correct, kudos to you. Most people won't get it through their thick skulls that you must be traveling the same speed (or better yet, a few mph faster) than the traffic on the highway to effectuate a good merge. But instead, most do it at their own pace, at the speed they find appropriate (or as fast as their pea brains can comprehend, which is about 35mph) and have the audacity to get p*ssed when we don't make every possible accommodation to let them in. And they get this attitude because some people DO slam on their brakes and risk their own safety to make it happen for them, all in the name of 'courtesy', otherwise known as stupidity.

I stopped enabling these morons long ago. You want in? You earn your place in this endless line of cars by driving as if you have a molecule of consideration for those around you, instead of just yourself. Turn your blinker on at 35 mph and start inching over without looking....you won't be joining this lane in front of me. Count on the guy behind me to lock 'em up for you.

Looking through the list of cars you have in your signature, I think you understand the principles involved in entering a highway, and if my assumptions are correct, kudos to you. Most people won't get it through their thick skulls that you must be traveling the same speed (or better yet, a few mph faster) than the traffic on the highway to effectuate a good merge. But instead, most do it at their own pace, at the speed they find appropriate (or as fast as their pea brains can comprehend, which is about 35mph) and have the audacity to get p*ssed when we don't make every possible accommodation to let them in. And they get this attitude because some people DO slam on their brakes and risk their own safety to make it happen for them, all in the name of 'courtesy', otherwise known as stupidity.

I stopped enabling these morons long ago. You want in? You earn your place in this endless line of cars by driving as if you have a molecule of consideration for those around you, instead of just yourself. Turn your blinker on at 35 mph and start inching over without looking....you won't be joining this lane in front of me. Count on the guy behind me to lock 'em up for you.
I will adjust speed if I can with the travel trailer as it prevents making a lane change, but I am not standing on the brakes to let someone in. I try to be courteous, but not to point of screwing everyone behind me. It blows my mind people can't see a 22 foot 4 door long bed truck towing 35'10" of trailer coming down the highway. I think to myself "Mike, remember this is not your fault you are under no obligation to let them in. Let them be mad".

LOL. You are right when I get on the highway I make it count! I try to use most of, if not all of the horsepower the Trans Am and Caprice have ;). I am the one adjusting my speed to make sure I make a graceful entrance at the flow of traffic, at, below or above the speed limit depending on the situation. .

I visited Arlington, TX 4 times from late last year thru July of this year. I found the drivers to be very polite, let me in, etc. Now the fast lanes were really speeding all the time, so I didn't like that. But overall I was pleasently surprised. Better than Silicon Valley for sure.
I was a multi decade long Los Gatos resident, my 28 year career part of Silicon Valley's madhouse. Today's drivers in Silicon Valley are awful. The reality is you have people driving there who either learned to drive in countries where there was total roadway chaos (e.g. farm animals pulling carts), or they grew up in countries where they never drove a car until they got to the US (e.g. grandma or grandpa).

Scott

You can get ST tires rated to 81 mph now. I have a set but rarely see over 60, might see 65 if I am on an open stretch of road like in Eastern Washington or Montana.

I have a 2020 Forest River Grey Wolf 26DJSE-If I towed that for any length of time at 80 mph I wouldn't have anything left when I got to where I'm going. The build quality IS THAT BAD.

I have a 2020 Forest River Grey Wolf 26DJSE-If I towed that for any length of time at 80 mph I wouldn't have anything left when I got to where I'm going. The build quality IS THAT BAD.
I am sorry to hear that. I have heard everything in the past two years is poo. Mine is a 2012 Passport 3220 BHWE. Knock on wood it has been pretty solid as much as we use it.

Driving in Germany the other month was a huge eye opener for me when I came home. Germans have MUCH better lane discipline on highways than Americans do. For good reason though, driving on the autobahn is stressful. All trucks are limited to 90km/h (about 56mph) and are almost always forbidden (thank god) from the left lane. Driving on the autobahn is like this. I have cruise set at 130-140km/h. Have to get over to pass a truck. Quickly have to get back out of the left lane to let the Mercedes flying down the road at 200km/h+ pass. Then immediately get back into the left lane to pass the next truck going 90km/h, repeat. Nobody hogged the left lane and nobody stayed there any longer than necessary. Driving in cities there was also much less stressful because of generally slower speeds, roundabouts making things much easier and smoother than stop signs/stop lights. But highways, yeah there's no comparison between German drivers and American drivers when it comes to lane discipline at the bare minimum.

Coming home made me realize how terrible and generally impolite and impatient American drivers are. Driving fast doesn't mean impatient, you can drive fast while still being courteous to other drivers, letting them into your lane when needed etc. Each region I find has distinct driving styles.

Northeast: People generally drive fast, and in the cases of places like NJ, and Massachussetts, fairly aggressively. But they aren't what I'd call "bad" drivers. Driving and surviving in say, Northern NJ requires some level of driving skill. So despite the expectation, these are the states with some of the lowest fatality rate per vehicle mile travelled in the country.

Midwest drivers tend to drive too slow, often under the speed limit on flat, straight open highways. Sometimes in the left lane, sometimes not. But midwestern drivers in general compared to Northeastern drivers are safe, but agonizingly slow.

Western drivers in places like Nevada, California, Utah are actually just insane.

Southern drivers, NC, SC, GA, in general are comparatively bad drivers that don't know how to drive. Driving in the south is actually scary sometimes because you have no idea what people are going to do. In NJ its easy to predict what someone is going to do, just expect their going to squeeze their way into that gap. In the south its a total free for all. Also turn signals are non-existent there. I once sat at a stoplight in NC and watched the number of cars that used their turn signals. Out of 30 cars that turned left at the intersection I was watching, 7 of them used turn signals. Its really bad.

I generally prefer to do my long distance driving at night, far less traffic to deal with then.

Maybe it is because you are used to the way north easterners drive? I live VA right on the border of NC and travel a lot between VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, and TN. Occasionally I have to travel the northeast between Philadelphia and Boston and I despise it. In fact I cringe when I get the order to travel in that area. IMO, driving in the northeast is worse but I'm used to it here.

Maybe it is because you are used to the way north easterners drive? I live VA right on the border of NC and travel a lot between VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, and TN. Occasionally I have to travel the northeast between Philadelphia and Boston and I despise it. In fact I cringe when I get the order to travel in that area. IMO, driving in the northeast is worse but I'm used to it here.
Well I-95 is an outlier, I think everybody hates driving on 95, I go out of my way to avoid if I have to drive to NC, I usually go down 81 through PA.

I used to commute 100 miles a day all over the state until a recent job change. I wouldn't say driving has really changed all that much. The only time it seemed to change a bit was at the beginning of the pandemic with all the lockdowns, there was a bit less traffic on the road and less school buses. Now we are back to a normal amount of traffic. Cars are going faster, no doubt, due to the disconnected feel in many new cars. It's good for driver fatigue, bad for driver awareness. I hardly notice 80 mph in my BMW, while my Jeep Wrangler feels like trying to land a DC-3 at 70 mph.

Well I-95 is an outlier, I think everybody hates driving on 95, I go out of my way to avoid if I have to drive to NC, I usually go down 81 through PA.

I think the commercial truck traffic on I-81 between Bristol and Roanoke, VA has made that stretch of interstate fairly dangerous.

As for I-95 I always expect it to be busy, especially during vacation season. I hate the stretch from Florence, SC to the Georgia line.

Back